ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gaming laptops vs regular laptops

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
My 12 year old has gaming laptop on his Christmas list this year and I’m trying to understand better.

he normally just plays Minecraft and Roblox on his laptop now. His computer has 4GB RAM and isn’t that old. He was complaining about lagging so I did a few things to help that (shut down some things that launch on start up) and I think that helped.

My question is, is an actual gaming laptop (more ram, separate cooling) necessary for Minecraft and Roblox which seem pretty basic.

Some of his buddies are talking about thei gaming laptops, but not really sure they’re using it correctly or my son is understanding (eg, one kid just has an old laptop that he only uses for games that he calls his “gaming laptop”). I asked him to find out more but couldn’t get a straight answer.

Last edited:
My 12 year old has gaming laptop on his Christmas list this year and I’m trying to understand better.

he normally just plays Minecraft and Roblox on his laptop now. His computer has 4GB RAM and isn’t that old. He was complaining about lagging so I did a few things to help that (shut down some things that launch on start up) and I think that helped.

My question is, is an actual gaming laptop (more ram, separate cooling) necessary for Minecraft and Roblox which seem pretty basic.

Some of his buddies are talking about thei gaming laptops, but not really sure they’re using it correctly or my son is understanding (eg, one kid just has an old laptop that he only uses for games that he calls his “gaming laptop”). I asked him to find out more but couldn’t get a straight answer.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-laptop-buying-guide,5689.html

The games you mention aren't super demanding but 4GB of memory (RAM) is on the weak side these days. 8GB RAM is considered basic requirement and 16GB is often minimum used on desktops. Depending on the brand of the laptop you should be able to upgrade the RAM (Apple can be hostile to upgrades because they solder things in). Most PC type units are modular and its easy to swap things around.

8-16 GB of DDR4 RAM is around $15-40 depending on make so that's pretty cheap. Keep in mind some laptop RAM is low voltage to help with battery life. There are lots of good videos about hardware on Youtube and forums can help. Put laptop brand and "RAM upgrade reddit" in search bar and you can find all sorts of things, Use "forum" instead of "reddit" and you'll get even more results.

For me, I like laptops for being mobile and desktops for gaming (and most everything else). Dollar for dollar a decent desktop blows laptops away. I understand college students dont always have room for a desktop so laptops have their place.

The thing about laptops to keep in mind is that the more powerful they are, the more energy they will use, and the more heat they will create, and then the more the fans can run and create noise (and wear). The keys can take a beating (especially if player "rage quits" lol ) and the screens will often be mediocre.

I consider "desktop replacement" laptop a bad term because spec for spec its generally impossible to put desktop specs in a laptop that doesn't cost stupid money. Put a meaty 8 core processor in a laptop with 32GB of RAM and a 17" screen and its like trying to put a desktop into a small space with a lot of trade-offs.

The thing about a desktop is that parts can be upgraded along the way. Video cards, RAM, keys, screen, power supply etc - swap everything around with ease. I run 12 core processor with 32GB RAM and newer AMD graphics and fans dont even run. I can play anything I want at ultra ("high" generally being great enough). A great 24" IPS monitor from Dell/LG/HP etc can had for $100 on sale.

I see kids watching football games on their phones despite a 65" TV on the wall lol. Laptops can make people goofy like that too and the cool factor causes people to settle for less.

I do see some OKish laptops for $700-1K but will be less potent for the money compared to a desktop.. Here is one Acer 15.6 laptop I saw on Techradar ( sold on Amazon)

Acer used to be a disposable brand 7 years ago but their laptops have been rated higher and users have been happier. For me 15.6 is too small for gaming but a 17" gets too big for mobile. I rarely use a laptop but I'm not a student. I would check out keyboards in a store like Best Buy or Micro Center. Keys can make a big difference (and get illuminated!). I would not go crazy on a "gaming laptop" instead of desktop and a basic laptop with OK gaming capabilities is OK. But at 12 years old those Cyperpunk, COD games aren't far off and then laptops can struggle.

Always check Slickdeals for sales and reviewer info

Last edited:
Another thought, make sure WIFI speeds & signal are good. Can impact lagging / performance.

The games you mention aren't super demanding but 4GB of memory (RAM) is on the weak side these days.

I agree with this: is it possible to expand the RAM on that machine?

This is the one I got last year. Was $1500 now down to $1000. Worth it instead of buying the PS4, PS5, PS6 every couple years for $600, this will last much longer. PC gaming much easier for modding and etc. and most every major game on PS and Xbox is also on Steam (PC) these days.
I also got like a $30 USB fan for underneath, keeps it cool and works great. This laptop runs iRacing which is one of the most taxing online games.

Reactions: RUinOhio
My kids used low end laptops until they wanted to play games beyond Minecraft and Roblox. When they were ready, they built their own desktops for under $1,000. It was a while ago, but they were able to upgrade components rather than scrap their systems. Graphics card was most expensive/hardest to find because of crypto market: www.pcpartpicker.com.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
My kids used low end laptops until they wanted to play games beyond Minecraft and Roblox. When they were ready, they built their own desktops for under $1,000. It was a while ago, but they were able to upgrade components rather than scrap their systems. Graphics card was most expensive/hardest to find because of crypto market: www.pcpartpicker.com.
I like this one. For "real" PC gaming.. you should check if you really need a laptop or can do with a desktop. Do you need the portability or be able to hide the computer when it is not in use.

The difference in a gaming laptop vs "a laptop" is a discrete video card. Such gaming laptops pull more power, run hotter and are louder with fan noise.

A desktop has more room to breathe.. the video cards would be more capable for the same money and the fan noise would be less.. larger slower fans moving more air, keeping parts cooler.

I would stick to a 1080P laptop.. not 4K or 1440p... that is like TV resolutions. With a small screen and mobile video card you don't want to drive anything more than 1080P and that's the choice of FPS action gamers too.. and it can handle Minecraft.

Here's a Costco HP laptop for $999 after $300 off.. very capable specs

Their desktop deals seem less of a good deal... I think the price of desktop video cards is still an issue for manufacturers. Sometimes inside the costco you will see better deals.. and display-unit deals.

I like Costco for its liberal return policies and protections. Protection from lemons and buyers remorse.

If OP wants to go desktop there are ways to go cheap.. especially if you have a monitor to use already.. the previous mention of $1000 budget is entirely possible for Minecraft-focus. Of if there are other considerations.. want to play with local AI stuff.. video making, etc. Let us know and I'm sure you'll get some answers.

Good luck.

This site has some budget build suggestions.. TomsHardware It is to buy parts and put it together yourself. Such sites typically do not list stuff like Windows OS, keyboards, mouse, monitor because so many building new PCs do that piece-meal using parts from their old PCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUinOhio
He needs 8GB for gaming at a minimum, sorry to say. 16GB is better, but much more expensive.

I don't computer game anymore, but bought one of these and am very happy with it. It's hard for me to justify spending more than $750 on a computer. I pretty much keep laptops until they can't function anymore (usually takes about 4 years these days).

Amazon product ASIN B0B728K77Q

Graphics card was most expensive/hardest to find because of crypto market: www.pcpartpicker.com.

Upgraded my son's graphics card a while back only to find out I needed to upgrade the power supply to have power to run to it. It was the gift that I had to keep on giving.... It worked great when all was said and done though. Glad this was all before crypto got bigger.

Check slickdeals.com...they usually post the great laptop deals with comments from mostly informed posters. 4 GB is really bad, nothing you do is going to help that laptop. You need 16GB. If you cheap out, it just means it will be obsolete that much quicker. I'm in IT but don't game so I don't really keep up with the specs on graphics and processors since in government you don't need anything all that great for word, etc.

Good Ol above has lots of good info above.

laptop Here's one good one but now appears dead. However it gives you an idea on how much you can get a good gaming laptop for (compared to regular prices).

here's an another one

I was thinking that for $25 you could update the laptop ram now and then start putting parts for a desktop together. The old owner of this rivals forum built a PC with his kid and they had a great time.
Once you know how the parts work you can always fix and upgrade yourself
You get confidence in your rig and abilities - tech gets demystified
You learn some skills and you want to save money to buy upgrades.

Right now is a good time to buy stuff
When crypto was going crazy for a couple years video cards went through the roof.
A card I bought for 215 in 2019 was selling for almost 1k new and 650 used.

For $800 I could build a tight rig but I could chop $200 off if I had to.

I like to use $100 Seasonic power supplies (or SuperFlower) because they last me 12 years. But a $50 unit is possible.

I dont use current generation processors because they are too new (so is DDR5) and they need to iron out some problems.

Never be an early adopter for some parts.

Processor AMD 5700x = $169.00 https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-ryzen-7-5000-series/p/N82E16819113735

Asrock mobo = $130.00 https://www.newegg.com/asrock-phantom-gaming-b550-pg-velocita/p/N82E16813157934

Seasonic PSU https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187

32GB 65 Ram ddr 4 https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091
Case 100
Fractal Meshify C $ 100 case https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...-tower/p/N82E16811352072?Item=N82E16811352072

Vid Card 6600xt https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6650-xt-rx6650xt-cld-8go/p/N82E16814930070

Add 25-60 for a good cooler that's silent. I use Mugen 5b Amazon product ASIN B0B3WV3NF6
I usually use Asus motherboards (mobo) but they've had issues lately
Asrock gets better and better and the mobo and case I listed can use USB Type-C (like most phones these days).

The case was real popular and its easy to spend $200-250 on one if people are into the RGB lights (I'm not).
A $50 case is possible but a good case is nicer to work with and power button wont break in 2 years.

The 6600 XT video card is one I have and I get around 200+ FPS in many games like Borderlands 3. I use a Sapphire version with beefy cooling (ultra quiet) that cost me 350 but a kid wont care about noise.

Tech Deals guy on YouTube has good vids and sale info. I get legit Windows 10/11 pro for $15 from his links

I was thinking that for $25 you could update the laptop ram now and then start putting parts for a desktop together. The old owner of this rivals forum built a PC with his kid and they had a great time.
Once you know how the parts work you can always fix and upgrade yourself
You get confidence in your rig and abilities - tech gets demystified
You learn some skills and you want to save money to buy upgrades.

Right now is a good time to buy stuff
When crypto was going crazy for a couple years video cards went through the roof.
A card I bought for 215 in 2019 was selling for almost 1k new and 650 used.

For $800 I could build a tight rig but I could chop $200 off if I had to.

I like to use $100 Seasonic power supplies (or SuperFlower) because they last me 12 years. But a $50 unit is possible.

I dont use current generation processors because they are too new (so is DDR5) and they need to iron out some problems.

Never be an early adopter for some parts.

Processor AMD 5700x = $169.00 https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-ryzen-7-5000-series/p/N82E16819113735

Asrock mobo = $130.00 https://www.newegg.com/asrock-phantom-gaming-b550-pg-velocita/p/N82E16813157934

Seasonic PSU https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187

32GB 65 Ram ddr 4 https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091
Case 100
Fractal Meshify C $ 100 case https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...-tower/p/N82E16811352072?Item=N82E16811352072

Vid Card 6600xt https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6650-xt-rx6650xt-cld-8go/p/N82E16814930070

Add 25-60 for a good cooler that's silent. I use Mugen 5b

I usually use Asus motherboards (mobo) but they've had issues lately
Asrock gets better and better and the mobo and case I listed can use USB Type-C (like most phones these days).

The case was real popular and its easy to spend $200-250 on one if people are into the RGB lights (I'm not).
A $50 case is possible but a good case is nicer to work with and power button wont break in 2 years.

The 6600 XT video card is one I have and I get around 200+ FPS in many games like Borderlands 3. I use a Sapphire version with beefy cooling (ultra quiet) that cost me 350 but a kid wont care about noise.

Tech Deals guy on YouTube has good vids and sale info. I get legit Windows 10/11 pro for $15 from his links
Until AMD vidcards get better driver support in various apps.. I will pay the NVidia tax. But I play around in video and AI stuff.. and you need a beefy card that is supported.... OR.. you could use google colab or other cloud-type stuff in small doses.

Heck... I just realized.. if Minecraft is the main thing.. Try this:

or this:

Or you can rent a server and use the laptop to connect to it.. let teh rented server worry about performance.. rent performance by the month. Rent it for a month and have the kid test it, see how he likes it... might be the answer and then you can wait for a perfect deal to show up. Of course, this uses internet bandwidth... no internet, no access to your game world. But it can still be single-player or just his circle of friends.. this is not like an open server with godknowswho on it.. still YOUR server.. your virtual machine.

Last edited:
Until AMD vidcards get better driver support in various apps.. I will pay the NVidia tax. But I play around in video and AI stuff.. and you need a beefy card that is supported.... OR.. you could use google colab or other cloud-type stuff in small doses.

Have you tried one lately?
AMD cards had a bang-up 2022-23
I was going to try a NV 3060 but the 6600XTs were outplaying them at 1080p
NV lays a lot of hype to gouge consumers.
HairWorks, Ray-Tracing etc were more sizzle than steak and they robbed overall performance.
Linus had "experts" play games with RT and most couldn't guess which game had it.
NV, Intel are giants that get lazy and charge more for it imo

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Have you tried one lately?
AMD cards had a bang-up 2022-23
I was going to try a NV 3060 but the 6600XTs were outplaying them at 1080p
NV lays a lot of hype to gouge consumers.
HairWorks, Ray-Tracing etc were more sizzle than steak and they robbed overall performance.
Linus had "experts" play games with RT and most couldn't guess which game had it.
NV, Intel are giants that get lazy and charge more for it imo

Hmmm.. I just found out Davinci Resolve (popular PC video editor.. even has a free version) is working with AMD directly now...

Reactions: ashokan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT