ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Grills

I have a Weber Genesis gas grill that we picked up last year at Costco. However for smoking, etc. I have a Memphis Pro pellet grill that is now about 6 years old and has been fantastic. Bought it at a dealer in Paramus and it moved with us out to the PNW. The nice thing about being out here is that cooking pellets seem to be much easier to get. Although a little pricey would definitely recommend the Memphis if you are looking for a pellet grill.

I'm sure this discussion is for more high end grills and smokers but I have a tailgating grill, the aussie walkabout which is amazing for a 40 buck grill. I've smoked ribs, pork but and Thanksgiving turkey on this thing and it has pretty good temperature control for the price. Great collapsible grill with wheels for the money. Ive been wanting to upgrade but I've become attached to the damn thing.

anyone ever try/use cheaper alternative kamado grills (i.e., non-BGE or Kamado Joe)? opinions on them?

Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with the komado joe classic ii. But almost pulled the trigger on a PK. I may still buy the lower end PK in the future. And I’ll keep my cheapo barrel grill for bigger and less intensive burgers, dogs, BBQ chicken, etc. Ultimately I am embarking on a new hobby and the pellet grills just seem too much like an outdoor appliance with no skill. I know it’s pricey and I’ll suck at first but what the hell!

How well do those smoker boxes work with a gas grill? The kind that you fill with wood chips and place under the grates. Smoking is what I'm really interested in but no plans to get a real smoker any time soon.

How well do those smoker boxes work with a gas grill? The kind that you fill with wood chips and place under the grates. Smoking is what I'm really interested in but no plans to get a real smoker any time soon.

I've done it with my Weber Genesis, before I got my pellet smoker.

What I found that works even better:

Buy yourself some of those aluminum disposable half-pans. Fill halfway with wood chips, soak thoroughly (best done the night before) and cover tightly with foil. Poke holes in the foil and when ready to cook, lift one of your grill grates and set the pan on top of the burner on one side of the grill. Light that burner and use it to control your ambient temp, shooting for about 225 - 250. Put your meat on the opposite side of the grill.

I'm talking about the meat you bought in the store. Don't... ya know... put your actual meat on a grill, ever.

Reactions: RU Golfer
I've done it with my Weber Genesis, before I got my pellet smoker.

What I found that works even better:

Buy yourself some of those aluminum disposable half-pans. Fill halfway with wood chips, soak thoroughly (best done the night before) and cover tightly with foil. Poke holes in the foil and when ready to cook, lift one of your grill grates and set the pan on top of the burner on one side of the grill. Light that burner and use it to control your ambient temp, shooting for about 225 - 250. Put your meat on the opposite side of the grill.

I'm talking about the meat you bought in the store. Don't... ya know... put your actual meat on a grill, ever.
Haha, don't worry, I gotcha, I'm only letting one bracciole near the heat.

Good tips. Thanks

Just broke in my Pit Boss and did a bacon wrapped pork loin and a whole chicken. The meet on both came out great but the bacon on the pork and the skin on the chicken were not crispy. Anybody have any thought on how to get either crispier on the smoker or do I have to broil each after smoking?

Just broke in my Pit Boss and did a bacon wrapped pork loin and a whole chicken. The meet on both came out great but the bacon on the pork and the skin on the chicken were not crispy. Anybody have any thought on how to get either crispier on the smoker or do I have to broil each after smoking?

The bacon fat isn't going to crisp up at any temp below 350. One thing you might try is to crank the temp on the smoker once the meat is within about 10 degrees of your target temp, which would (in theory) crisp up the bacon and add a little to the crust on the pork & chicken.

So getting a grill cover for the new grill: is it worth it getting an aftermarket cover or is the more expensive Weber cover superior?

So getting a grill cover for the new grill: is it worth it getting an aftermarket cover or is the more expensive Weber cover superior?

The iCover that I got for my Pit Boss smoker is a great product for 30 bucks. I'm gonna get one for my Weber, since the OEM replacement is 90 bucks.

I am not talking a smoker but a regular grill......Mine is SS and it has never been covered in 17 years, a cover traps moisture and humidity....That is the reason I purchased a SS grill, let is get wet it will dry and not rust....I used to travel for work at weeks at a time then come home take cover off the grill and there is mold and white fuzzies.....no thank you! Buy a quality grill let is breath and you will be fine JMHO......

Last edited:

get the Weber cover it will last 5 times longer. It’s fitted and is thicker

Well fired up the new grill last night. Did a 10 minute burnoff - man did that sucker get hot - got up to 600° with just the 3 burners going. Didn't even fire up the sear burner. Metal was actually glowing on the inside. Was only cooking chicken last night, curious now to sear some steaks on it to see how they come out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT