ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Handgun purchase suggestions

Go to a gun shop that allows you to test the guns before you purchase.

In my area looking for a gun shop is like looking for a blacksmith lol. The three places I used to go to closed up. Lots of gun hostile cupcakes who think security is a product of "being nice". The local paper printed permit holders names and addresses. A NY legal AR-15 is more like a mutant AR-9.76

I lucked out. There was just enough room at the front of our master bedroom walk-in closet for one of these:

Gun_Safes.JPG

Does your safe also have a key to unlock? Digital won't work after an EMP.

Does your safe also have a key to unlock? Digital won't work after an EMP.

EMP effects are overrated. Plus any home level gun safe can be gotten into if you need to. Fire axe, Grinder, power tools. If you really need to get in say, in the event of an EMP, you'll get in. These aren't bank vaults we're talking about here.

EMP effects are overrated. Plus any home level gun safe can be gotten into if you need to. Fire axe, Grinder, power tools. If you really need to get in say, in the event of an EMP, you'll get in. These aren't bank vaults we're talking about here.

I ignored him because I didn't believe it was a serious question.

In my area looking for a gun shop is like looking for a blacksmith lol. The three places I used to go to closed up. Lots of gun hostile cupcakes who think security is a product of "being nice". The local paper printed permit holders names and addresses. A NY legal AR-15 is more like a mutant AR-9.76

SMH about the value of posting names and addresses of permit holders. Seems to me a bad guy may choose to burglarize these houses and possibly add more illegal guns on the street.

SMH about the value of posting names and addresses of permit holders. Seems to me a bad guy may choose to burglarize these houses and possibly add more illegal guns on the street.

The value is to intimidate you into not owning guns.

I love my Glock 19 Gen 4. I also looked at the Walther PPQ M2 because the trigger is amazing. Also take a look at the H&K VP9 before buying.

Also, you need to take NJ's gun laws into consideration. Magazine capacity is 15 rounds. For example, a Glock 17 typically comes with a 17 round magazine but not in NJ. You can only buy one with a 10 round magazine.
Good advice here. The Walther PPQ is the top rated striker-fired pistol on the market today. It's also about $100 cheaper then the H&K vp9. Carried a Glock for the majority of my career and while they are very reliable guns, I believe they are a little overrated.

I will be joining the wonderful world of gun Ownership myself in about 4 weeks. My question is I do not see Beretta listed at all in any of the suggestions.

Any particular reason?

I will be joining the wonderful world of gun Ownership myself in about 4 weeks. My question is I do not see Beretta listed at all in any of the suggestions.

Any particular reason?
After an hour or two every day of researching manufacturers' sites, gun reviews, internet videos for weeks and the advice of a prominent law enforcement trainer, I bought a Beretta M9 last fall. Some features which others might not like are exactly what I like - metal frame, 34oz weight, 4.9" barrel, safety/decocker, decent sized grip, DA/SA pull and a hammer. It fits a specific niche in the handgun market and along with the model 1911.45 auto, it represents over 100 years of service to our military.

Any particular reason?

I've got a 92F - basically the same as the current Military 9mm. I like it.

After an hour or two every day of researching manufacturers' sites, gun reviews, internet videos for weeks and the advice of a prominent law enforcement trainer, I bought a Beretta M9 last fall. Some features which others might not like are exactly what I like - metal frame, 34oz weight, 4.9" barrel, safety/decocker, decent sized grip, DA/SA pull and a hammer. It fits a specific niche in the handgun market and along with the model 1911.45 auto, it represents over 100 years of service to our military.

I've got more than 1 1911. Love them.

Any particular reason?
When I was looking at 9mm I researched for a while. It was between the g19, beretta 92 or the h&k something or other. All where great for my needs but the I didn't like the SA/DA trigger of the beretta or its weight; the H&k was just too much$. The Glock fit Me like a glove and was reasonable as I found a (likely) never fired one for a good price.

As others suggested, get a .22LR handgun for practice/plinking. And for an all around handgun, I would recommend the G19 Gen4. Shoot one that your friend owns and see how the point of aim works for you as Glocks have a different angled grip than 1911's. Any handy person can gunsmith the Glocks. Very little maintenance required.

For long guns, get a Ruger 10/22. Then move up to .223/5.56 AR rifle later.

And buy lots of ammo before President Hillary comes into office. Good luck.

Wife and daughter want to learn to shoot. Going to get them a Walther P22 to learn with before moving them up to a 9mm.

Wife and daughter want to learn to shoot. Going to get them a Walther P22 to learn with before moving them up to a 9mm.

Nice. For the girls consider a bigger frame than a smaller one unless they are going to carry it. A bigger gun will mitigate the recoil.

After they have used the 22 for a while I am looking at geting them either a Tanfoglio Pavona 9mm or 380 or a PK380 is I can find a deal on one.

I have a C9 right now that I have zero issues with, and am looking at picking up a Taurus pt111 G2 for something more compact.

Purchase a magazine called "gun tests" they don't take any advertising and they do blunt and forthright reviews of who-knows-how-many pistols and rifles and once you get a subscription you can go online and go through their archives and find out any information you want about the particular one you want to purchase be informed and choose the one that feels best in your hands

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT