ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bobby Bonilla Day

Recently saw this article about Bruce Sutter's deal, which may have been worse than Bonilla's: https://theathletic.com/399252/2018...-for-30-years-thanks-to-a-ludicrous-contract/

The article is behind a paywall, so here's some of the meat of the deal:
, the basic terms gave Sutter $9.1 million over six years, entering his age-32 season .... Sutter was only paid about $750,000 per year while under the Braves’ control. For the thirty years after he retired — 30!!! — the Braves agreed to pay him no less than $1.12 million per year, ....
And because all of the money he’s earned to date (and will earn through 2021) is interest, that $9.1 million in principal has, to date, gone unpaid. That’s right: it was deferred until 2022. Four years from now, Bruce Sutter will be a 69-year-old Hall of Fame pitcher who last pitched in 1988 who, unlike Bobby Bonilla, will be on the receiving end of a $9.1 million check from the Atlanta Braves.

In total, Sutter will earn north of $45 million for his three years being terrible as a member of the Atlanta Braves. Bobby Bonilla, eat your heart out.

Side note, if you don't have a subscription to the Athletic, IMO, it's worth it. I'm not sure how the articles about NY area teams are, but they had by far the best coverage of the Philly area teams of any media outlet this past year.

I wonder if the Madoff issue had forced the Mets and the Wilpons to file for bankruptcy would the Mets still have been on the hook for all those payments or would that deal have been wiped out.

Greatest agent negotiation in history.

While everyone likes to poke fun at the Bobby Bo contract, the deferral is/was @ 8% interest which given the interest rates at the time (mortgage rates were just a tick under 8%) was not that crazy, particularly when you are getting Madoff returns! Locking in that interest rate for 35 years is pretty stupid by the Mets, but far from the greatest agent moves of all time.

Whoever got Jay Cutler $128M was a genius!

Boras getting $317M out of the Yankees for A-Rod.

How about the NBA paying a total of $800M from 1976 to 2014 to the Silna brothers for dissolving the Spirit of St Louis ABA team!

Heck, whoever got $2M out of the Mets for Jose Reyes this year is a superstar.

Reactions: RUScrew85
hearing all the "broke" horror stories from pro athletes over the years... - Dan Gilbert's use of annuity-type payments for his clients was/is impressive....

how this is related to the Madoff scam is also a strange thing........

I wonder if the Madoff issue had forced the Mets and the Wilpons to file for bankruptcy would the Mets still have been on the hook for all those payments or would that deal have been wiped out.
My guess is that the sale of the team would have generated more than enough liquidity to pay all liabilities. The bankruptcy court would probably have ordered a one-time present value payout.

Reactions: redking
Player contracts are guaranteed by the league I believe as well as the team. Also The Mets wouldn’t have been insolvent if the Wilpons went bankrupt. They are sepeeate entities. The Mets pay Bonilla. Not the Wilpons.

Reactions: redking
1JP86p6.jpg

After his subpar 1999 season, the Mets released Bonilla, but still owed him $5.9 million. Bonilla and his agent offered the Mets a deal: Bonilla would defer payment for a decade, and the Mets would pay him an annual paycheck of $1.19 million starting in 2011 and ending in 2035, adding up to a total payout of $29.8 million. Mets owner Fred Wilpon accepted the deal mostly because he was heavily invested with Ponzi scheme operator Bernie Madoff, and the 10 percent returns he thought he was getting on his investments with Madoff outweighed the eight percent interest the Mets would be paying on Bonilla's initial $5.9 million. As a result, the payout was a subject of inquiry during the Madoff investment scandal investigation when it came to light in 2008.

There are lots of other guys getting similar checks today. Bobby Bo is getting unfairly singled out. I blame BSPN
If I were Bobby Bo I’d be loving the singling out...because in the end HE won...cha ching!

Recently saw this article about Bruce Sutter's deal, which may have been worse than Bonilla's: https://theathletic.com/399252/2018...-for-30-years-thanks-to-a-ludicrous-contract/

The article is behind a paywall, so here's some of the meat of the deal:

Side note, if you don't have a subscription to the Athletic, IMO, it's worth it. I'm not sure how the articles about NY area teams are, but they had by far the best coverage of the Philly area teams of any media outlet this past year.

That's even worse to me. A guy who played 1 inning -- sometimes. But my "closer" rant is for another thread...

Best baseball move the Wilpons ever made. With the savings they accrued from the contractual deferral in 2000, they were able to acquire Mike Hampton on a one year rental. Hampton helped get them to the WS that year. Then when Hampton left for free agency, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to select David Wright.

Best baseball move the Wilpons ever made. With the savings they accrued from the contractual deferral in 2000, they were able to acquire Mike Hampton on a one year rental. Hampton helped get them to the WS that year. Then when Hampton left for free agency, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to select David Wright.

Best deal Bonilla ever made I'm sure.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
The deal with Bonilla, a stupid one from the start, was the result of re-acquiring Bonilla in a trade for Mel Rojas. Basically the Mets and Dodgers traded malcontent players with bad contracts. But I bet the Dodgers are not still paying Rojas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT