ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bobby Bonilla Day

the Mets being bad... and the fact that they got ripped-off by Madoff as well is so... Mets.
Record payroll in sports history and 18.5 out of first place on July 1. You can't make this up.

Shows you that just having a high payroll doesn't mean success and the fact the Yankees basically have had winning records every year for 30 years now is all the more remarkable.

It's July 1 and time for the Mets to give Bobby his annual $1.19 million check as part of his 2003 contract. Only 18 more annual payments and the Mets are done.
Minor update - 12 more payments through 07.01.2035.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: redking
Fred Wilpon to his accountants: "You say Bonilla wants to take his final year's salary in the form of a long-term deferred annuity compounded at 8%? Of course we can honor that request! We can get at least 12% on that principal, guaranteed, year in and year out. So we can handle those future payments with plenty to spare.

"What do you mean, am I sure. Of course I'm sure. I got a guy..."

The Orioles are still paying him $500k til 2029.They also owe Chris Davis $59 million
😡
. Just keeping it real.I'll show you the Bronx.
357103500_10230233411076894_6123201120662020279_n.jpg

Reactions: Plum Street
Record payroll in sports history and 18.5 out of first place on July 1. You can't make this up.

Shows you that just having a high payroll doesn't mean success and the fact the Yankees basically have had winning records every year for 30 years now is all the more remarkable.
So sweet!

Mets fans might claim there are worse contracts out there but this one gets all the attention in the media.

#LolMets

Not just the Mets paying him and others players have deferred payments 😲
Bobby Bonilla Day: How his deferred contracts compare to Shohei Ohtani's deal
>So is a lesser-known fact: A separate deferred-contract from the Baltimore Orioles that began in 2004 pays Bonilla $500,000 a year through 2029, boosting his yearly income from deferred salary to $1,693,248.20.<
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bobby-bonilla-day-deferred-contracts-175857049.html

We'll know that Great Depression 2 is here if the Mets ever default.
I saw Bobby hit 2 at Shea against the Phillies on June 10,1993.
I paid $40 for a box behind the Phillies dugout but was feeling glum until Dallas Green lifted Saberhagen after 5 with the Mets leading 5-0.
The Phillies started their comeback immediately,eventually going ahead 7-5 after 8.5 innings.
In the bottom of ninth with a runner on,Bonilla hit a shot down the left field line that somehow went foul.
Wild Thing then struck him out,going on to fan the side.
I have the game on VHS.
Future Met wife,Kate Upton,was celebrating her first birthday that day.

Reactions: Plum Street
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT