ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Columbus Day

It’s a state holiday in new jersey
My grand kids had school.
Unless things have changed since I retired, Rutgers is also open on Columbus Day - back during an oil crisis, they decided to take away a bunch of one day holidays and add them to the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day so they could close up that whole week. Must be a current employee on here who can confIrma if that’s still the case

My grand kids had school.
Unless things have changed since I retired, Rutgers is also open on Columbus Day - back during an oil crisis, they decided to take away a bunch of one day holidays and add them to the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day so they could close up that whole week. Must be a current employee on here who can confIrma if that’s still the case
I believe the holidays rutgers gets is New Years, mlk, memorial , july 4, labor , thanksgiving, christmas.

A few school districts are opened.. some schools that are off for the Jewish holidays did not have off yesterday. Wayne, Millburn and Verona are a few that come to mind. Our schools have always been off.
Columbus Day=pumpkin patch day to us! Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: goru1869
Years ago I used to get Columbus and Veteran's Day off when I worked at an insurance company and large bank. We actually preferred the stock market days, but it was nice shopping for cars on Columbus Day since most people were working. I have been on the stock market schedule for quite some time but my current employer doesn't include Good Friday for some reason. We get a floater for that day. The schools in my town were closed yesterday.

A few school districts are opened.. some schools that are off for the Jewish holidays did not have off yesterday. Wayne, Millburn and Verona are a few that come to mind. Our schools have always been off.
Columbus Day=pumpkin patch day to us! Lol
Our schools did not open til Sept 20, so not surprised they went to school yesterday

Reactions: Jm0513
Christopher Columbus discovered Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, so that kind of counts, right?

I recall in kindergarten learning about all the ships and the whole song. Heck we spent a good amount of time talking about it and I still remember it 36 years later. I asked my son who is in kindergarten if he knew who Christopher Columbus is. He said he had no idea. Literally. Zero knowledge. No ships, no 1492. No song. Nothing. When did schools stop teaching young kids about it. Not asking because I’m on one side or the other. Just a question and observation. Sometime in the 90s, 2000s?

Reactions: bac2therac
Agreed.

Just make it "People's Day" A day where we have a holiday, just because. No pretentious bullshit and fake cause for why we need the holiday. We have the holiday because we want one.

Or just make Halloween a federal holiday in October and get rid of this one all together.
Make it America Day. If you want to celebrate Columbus who discovered two continents for the 95% of humanity that didn't live there fine. If you want to honor Native Americans who came here thousands of years ago and were decimated primarily by diseases because of their isolation from the rest of the world, that's fine too.

Also the propaganda that Columbus never set foot on America is revisionist bullshit. Unless somehow Central America is no longer considered part of North America and Venezuela isn't part of South America.

You stragglers realize Columbus Day ended a ways back, yeah?

Love it or hate it, it's not even worth thinking about after clock hits midnight ..not for another year, anyway.

You stragglers realize Columbus Day ended a ways back, yeah?

Love it or hate it, it's not even worth thinking about after clock hits midnight ..not for another year, anyway.
Did you hit your head on a tree branch ? You must be thinking about it , after all you did respond . And before you bring it up , my son and I are going to a Civil War reenactment this weekend .

Reactions: bac2therac
Also the propaganda that Columbus never set foot on America is revisionist bullshit. Unless somehow Central America is no longer considered part of North America and Venezuela isn't part of South America.
Let’s be perfectly clear- Central America is NOT North America…WTF are you talking about.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Make it America Day. If you want to celebrate Columbus who discovered two continents for the 95% of humanity that didn't live there fine. If you want to honor Native Americans who came here thousands of years ago and were decimated primarily by diseases because of their isolation from the rest of the world, that's fine too.
The issue isn’t so much decease that makes the man evil- it is the slavery and murder…just saying…

Did you hit your head on a tree branch ? You must be thinking about it , after all you did respond . And before you bring it up , my son and I are going to a Civil War reenactment this weekend .

I thought about it because the thread keeps popping up.

No issue with the thread, but Columbus Day is amomg the most forgettable holidays on the calendar. Up there with flag day and arbor day. (Worked trees in special for ya ; )

Time to move on to more exciting things ...like national gumbo day, or pulled pork day if you prefer (apparently both are tomorrow).

Pulled pork gumbo ...YUP!

Reactions: Scarlet Blind

No issue with the thread, but Columbus Day is amomg the most forgettable holidays on the calendar. Up there with flag day and arbor day. (Worked trees in special for ya ; )

Time to move on to more exciting things ...like national gumbo day, or pulled pork day if you prefer (apparently both are tomorrow).

Flag day ? You have a problem with NJ history and flag day ? And yes the 2 are very much linked .

thats disrespectful to the pork.

Go up for a game at West Point and tour Fort Putnam if it's a day game. Besides a magnificent view you'll learn about Kosciuszko.

he also has a mustard names after him.

Let’s be perfectly clear- Central America is NOT North America…WTF are you talking about.
That is actually a very interesting question.

From a purely geographical standpoint, Central America is part of North America. If not, then what the heck is it? It's not an island, so it has to be part of a continent, right? Unless you want to say it is part of South America, or it is a continent in and of itself. You could say either of those things, but I think you'd be the only person in the world saying them.

However, I think that from a SOCIO-POLITICAL standpoint, Central America is a separate entity.

That is actually a very interesting question.

From a purely geographical standpoint, Central America is part of North America. If not, then what the heck is it? It's not an island, so it has to be part of a continent, right? Unless you want to say it is part of South America, or it is a continent in and of itself. You could say either of those things, but I think you'd be the only person in the world saying them.

However, I think that from a SOCIO-POLITICAL standpoint, Central America is a separate entity.

Does this mean that Central New Jersey exists?

Flag day ? You have a problem with NJ history and flag day ? And yes the 2 are very much linked .

A problem?

No, I don't think about Flag Day at all ( unless I'm pulling examples of useless holidays no one cares about)

Prior to 1492 the Vikings were already in Canada and the US. Columbus never even made it this far. Also I watched a show on the History Channel that suggested the Phoenicians were here much earlier than that. They tested some of the bronze from the middle east and found it came from mines in Michigan.

Prior to 1492 the Vikings were already in Canada and the US. Columbus never even made it this far. Also I watched a show on the History Channel that suggested the Phoenicians were here much earlier than that. They tested some of the bronze from the middle east and found it came from mines in Michigan.
would not have thought Phoenician ships would be able to traverse and weather the Atlantic Ocean.

weren't they mostly shallow galleys fit for traversing the calmer Mediterranean?

could the bronze rather have been thrown across the Atlantic from a volcano eruption or something and then picked up by Phoenician explorers from there?

There’s also a book that claims the Chinese came to America in the early 1400’s - forget the exact name, but it has a year in the title, something like 1433
(give or take a few years).

Last edited:
would not have thought Phoenician ships would be able to traverse and weather the Atlantic Ocean.

weren't they mostly shallow galleys fit for traversing the calmer Mediterranean?

could the bronze rather have been thrown across the Atlantic from a volcano eruption or something and then picked up by Phoenician explorers from there?
Edit: Looked it up and it was Minoans / Vikings and copper mines in Michigan. And I also wanted to say I don't remember the show on History, but as we know History Channel is not really about History anymore.

I don't know enough about the Phoenicians other than they were good sailors. Never said I believed it but I have never believed Columbus was the first to come to North America. As they say, "history is a collection of lies agreed upon".

Last edited:
The first thing every kid in school should be taught is that America was not discovered but was invaded.

Guess it’s not in Syracuse
I’ve had jobs in 3 states, NY, Pennsylvania and NJ. I’ve never had Columbus Day off, and maybe my memory is faulty, but don’t recall that many other people did either, other than schools and government workers - actually not even sure about all schools.

I read that Columbus Day was created because Italian Americans were basically treated like dirt in America back in the day. Hung, killed etc. I always knew that WOP meant without papers and that is what people called Italians. It’s a pride thing given to people in America who were basically persecuted in America for a long time.

So basically Columbus Day was created by politicians of the day the same way politicians today feel bad for certain groups. Pander to them and create some award or statue or something. History goes by and Italians are generally not treated like dirt anymore aside from the Jersey shore joke type stuff. So I guess Columbus has to go?

Anyway that is what I read someplace.
This.

Tell me you've never played Risk without telling me you've never played Risk.
Many people can go many ways in how Americas is defined, sort of like NJ. Even if you go to some respected places like Britannica, it defines it many ways. Is NA from the top half of Panama or is it the dividing line of Mexico.
Most people in Modern time and in most realities- now split it as everything above Mexico but by historical definition, it very well could include Mexico or you may just get rid of Central America all together and just have North/South

Regardless- Columbus has zero- zip - Nada to do with discovering our country.

And everywhere he went- he was about as evil a man as there has been in history. Even Isabella was horrified by the slaves he sent to her as a gift.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT