ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Columbus Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren’t Vikings from Europe? So second place in Europe.

Cool. That works for me.

So the Vikings are to blame for the atrocities committed to the Native Americans after the Vikings "discovered" North America? Columbus is off the hook since he didn't actually accomplish anything.

Can you PM me the joke? Thnx
It’s a Sopranos related joke. No big deal. Colbert referenced the Sopranos Columbus Day episode and this was a follow up joke based on Junior always busting Tony’s chops with the varsity athlete line. It’s Jersey, I thought everyone knew! 😎

Hopefully you enjoyed the holiday!
As you know I grew up in 50-60’s post WWII … I assuredly am not ashamed by my ancestry and don’t apologize for my early education in Catholic school . I grew up amongst Germans Jews, Italians, Ukrainians, Polish, Irish , Chinese and even small group of black Americans. It was a true melting pot. We all celebrated Columbus Day then and I still call it Columbus Day today. We looked upon the Indian Tribes much differently and thought it was wonderful part of our American history. Not always fair nor nice yes evil did exist. Evil has existed since time began. We now see more evil in a place where evil has existed for several thousand years. The point is instead of trying to change our history let’s learn how to do a better job going forward .For me it’s still Columbus Day . It will always be Columbus Day . Ask anyone who is Italian American those who haven’t been indoctrinated . Next will be Thanksgiving , Christmas, Passover , Easter. Don’t think that’s possible just pay attention.

As you know I grew up in 50-60’s post WWII … I assuredly am not ashamed by my ancestry and don’t apologize for my early education in Catholic school . I grew up amongst Germans Jews, Italians, Ukrainians, Polish, Irish , Chinese and even small group of black Americans. It was a true melting pot. We all celebrated Columbus Day then and I still call it Columbus Day today. We looked upon the Indian Tribes much differently and thought it was wonderful part of our American history. Not always fair nor nice yes evil did exist. Evil has existed since time began. We now see more evil in a place where evil has existed for several thousand years. The point is instead of trying to change our history let’s learn how to do a better job going forward .For me it’s still Columbus Day . It will always be Columbus Day . Ask anyone who is Italian American those who haven’t been indoctrinated . Next will be Thanksgiving , Christmas, Passover , Easter. Don’t think that’s possible just pay attention.
Veterans day is next. Not to be pedantic.

When we studied explorers back in the day, Columbus was down the list in terms of the explorer trading cards I would’ve wanted. Definitely going with Magellan and De Soto at the top of my list. In terms of exploring the America we live in - shout out to Cabot, De Soto and that bridge guy in NY.

All that said, no one’s hands are clean in the explorer/expansion game. Columbus Day is more about celebrating Italian pride and heritage and that should be celebrated. It’s unfortunate that it’s tied to one explorer with a controversial past who really didn’t do what he is credited with doing.

It’s a Sopranos related joke. No big deal. Colbert referenced the Sopranos Columbus Day episode and this was a follow up joke based on Junior always busting Tony’s chops with the varsity athlete line. It’s Jersey, I thought everyone knew! 😎
Yeah I remember Junior busting TS about his lack of athletic prowess in a few episodes

It’s one thread.

Grammar challenged?

Thanks for trying to troll the thread , you gave us someone to make fun of.
Oh sorry I was under the impression you posted these about all holidays since you surely didn’t do this one simply to start a debate about Columbus Day. My bad!

You are right. The dislike for our military people has increased year to year.
Where do you see the dislike for vets and military? Pro and college sports have appreciation days all the time, there are numerous ads on TV thanking vets or promoting gratitude to them. I have personally seen people thanking vets for their service in public. And that’s a great thing.

I think where we fall down is with health care for vets in their declining years or for their service-related trauma.

All 4 grandparents from Italy. Honestly Columbus Day never been a big Italian celebration thing for my family.

Cool. That works for me.

So the Vikings are to blame for the atrocities committed to the Native Americans after the Vikings "discovered" North America? Columbus is off the hook since he didn't actually accomplish anything.

Your point might be more valid if the Vikings discovery had lead to the Norse mass colonization of the Americas. Which it didn't.

Reactions: Kbee3 and rufamily
So true.
Triggered nutjobs that can’t let people celebrate a holiday.
Sad
I missed the part where people stopped others from celebrating the holiday yesterday. As far as I know the parade in NYC went off as planned and some schools and businesses were closed.

Reactions: Kbee3
When we studied explorers back in the day, Columbus was down the list in terms of the explorer trading cards I would’ve wanted. Definitely going with Magellan and De Soto at the top of my list. In terms of exploring the America we live in - shout out to Cabot, De Soto and that bridge guy in NY.

All that said, no one’s hands are clean in the explorer/expansion game. Columbus Day is more about celebrating Italian pride and heritage and that should be celebrated. It’s unfortunate that it’s tied to one explorer with a controversial past who really didn’t do what he is credited with doing.
Fun Fact: Giovanni Caboto (John Cabot) was born in Genoa. He "explored" the New World for Britain, though, making his way west to Labrador, claiming it (and what would expand to become Canada) for the King. He was lost at sea on his second excursion for the Crown.

Fun Fact: Giovanni Caboto (John Cabot) was born in Genoa. He "explored" the New World for Britain, though, making his way west to Labrador, claiming it (and what would expand to become Canada) for the King. He was lost at sea on his second excursion for the Crown.
Boom! We can rename the day now. 😂

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Where do you see the dislike for vets and military? Pro and college sports have appreciation days all the time, there are numerous ads on TV thanking vets or promoting gratitude to them. I have personally seen people thanking vets for their service in public. And that’s a great thing.

I think where we fall down is with health care for vets in their declining years or for their service-related trauma.
All around us . Do you think in 2023 the military and yes veterans are given their proper respect. Back post WWII vets were looked at differently than during the 60-70’s. Only when we need the help of our military do we manage to give proper respect for their service. People give a great deal of lip service since they know they will be called out.We can’t fill our monthly quotas in all branches. What do you think would happen if our nation was forced into another war?

All around us . Do you think in 2023 the military and yes veterans are given their proper respect. Back post WWII vets were looked at differently than during the 60-70’s. Only when we need the help of our military do we manage to give proper respect for their service. People give a great deal of lip service since they know they will be called out.We can’t fill our monthly quotas in all branches. What do you think would happen if our nation was forced into another war?
Sorry, I see differently every day. Can’t agree with you.

Sorry, I see differently every day. Can’t agree with you.
You ‘re entitled to your opinion. People have short term memory issues unless perhaps you had or have a family member serving in the military.past or present the feelings of patriotism quickly wanes. Only in times of trouble do most pay attention to military. The courtesy “ Thank You for Your Service”. has actually not been around for as long as some might surmise. There are those who assume everyone respects a current active duty or past veteran .

Sometimes people can fool you. I never figured the OP to be someone who would celebrate the first of the Spanish invaders to Central and South America, the spread of Spanish language and culture, and the lingering impacts of oppressive Spanish rule still very much being felt to this day.

Reactions: Kbee3
All 4 grandparents from Italy. Honestly Columbus Day never been a big Italian celebration thing for my family.
Funny thing is- growing up in the 60's and 70's- with half my family from Italy- I only remember Columbus day as a day we honored the Man we were taught, discovered America. I was ok with that as a kid and we were taught what a great man he was and what he had to overcome to get his ships and make this great discovery.
Only to find out when I could discover things on my own, that the Man did not discover our America and what a brutal disgusting human he was to the islands he did in fact land at.

If Italians what a heritage day, they deserve one- but to have it honored with the name of this POS, that is the issue for many.

Reactions: Kbee3 and RC1991

That is the primary area of disrespect towards veterans we all see . It is a travesty and it is only one part of what relates to dislike of their past service. I will say this my late father who served 4 + years in the Navy - Pacific Theater . Dad was shown great respect in 2014 at his passing . The funny thing was he didn’t expect that nor even felt he warranted special treatment for his service time. This is something I suspect has developed the past several years. Check out college campuses today are they welcoming .

Columbus didn’t even know where he was. He thought he was in India that why he called the people Indians. Maybe Italians should celebrate Marco Polo that dude discovered spaghetti in China and brought it back and made spaghetti…spaghetti. That’s something to celebrate

Last edited:
Reactions: ILikePike
Dislike for our military was far more common during Vietnam than today.
Agree- I can't say I can recall any citizen on the street disrespecting a man/woman in uniform and most do thank them for their service. Back with Vietnam- it was horrible. And the thing about that- is that I see some of those posting about it are in the age bracket that if they didn't serve, they most likely showed little respect in the 70's for the military,
Both of my Grandfathers served in WWI and my Dad served in WWII- None of them barely spoke of the wars they were in but when they came back they were treated with the greatest respect.

Funny thing is- growing up in the 60's and 70's- with half my family from Italy- I only remember Columbus day as a day we honored the Man we were taught, discovered America. I was ok with that as a kid and we were taught what a great man he was and what he had to overcome to get his ships and make this great discovery.
Only to find out when I could discover things on my own, that the Man did not discover our America and what a brutal disgusting human he was to the islands he did in fact land at.

If Italians what a heritage day, they deserve one- but to have it honored with the name of this POS, that is the issue for many.

I always felt that if you were going to honor an Italian explorer, why not the guy we are actually named after? Happy Vespucci day everyone!!

Dislike for our military was far more common during Vietnam than today.
Yes… I remember in 1971 coming home into the old Newark Airport , after my AIT training in San Antonio Texas .We had several scumbag college boys making comments about us “baby killers” . These same pussies around my age maybe older didn’t know whether to shit or go blind when myself and two other soldiers confronted them.These same pussies never served a day . Probably never paid off their college loans similar to some of my former high school classmates. Maybe even graduated from Rutgers? I was witness to the Rutgers War protests in ‘69. So I’m well aware of hate for military people.

Reactions: MulletCork
Yes… I remember in 1971 coming home into the old Newark Airport , after my AIT training in San Antonio Texas .We had several scumbag college boys making comments about us “baby killers” . These same pussies around my age maybe older didn’t know whether to shit or go blind when myself and two other soldiers confronted them.These same pussies never served a day . Probably never paid off their college loans similar to some of my former high school classmates. Maybe even graduated from Rutgers? I was witness to the Rutgers War protests in ‘69. So I’m well aware of hate for military people.
At least one draft dodger posts regularly in the CE forum

That was you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT