ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Groundhog Day 2024 Live feed

Love this event. My guess is Bac wins this year...even though I am rooting for some snow.

I think I can hear numbers crying here in Bergen County. 😀 Just makes me appreciate each weekend going forward to get as many ski days in as possible. We have been blessed the last few years (except 2020 - where the season would have lasted until May) with skiing into late March/early April in NY and VT.

Reactions: fsg2 and megadrone
Early spring it is!

Happy Groundhogs Day to all who celebrate!

Rise and shine ye ole groundhog,prairie dogs, land beavers, woodchucks, whistlepigs,, wood-shocks, groundpigs, , whistlers, thickwood badgers, marmots, monax, moonacks, weenusks and red monks.

May your awakening be filled with berries and cantaloupe!

Woo-hoo early spring is coming and there aint nuthin science can do to to stop it. So there!

Don't drive angry...

dont-drive-angry-bill-murray.gif

Speaking of Groundhog Day, every morning I wake up and hope I don't see another morning with clips of every throw from Gavin Wimsatt in the Miami bowl game, but alas, it was playing again today.

• Haha
Reactions: LeapinLou
some comfort food ideas

Woodchuck Pie Recipe​

• 1 woodchuck
  • 3 medium carrots
  • 3 potatoes
  • 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons of flour and piecrust dough
Directions:

1. Quarter the woodchuck and place the pieces in a large pot with enough cold water to cover the meat.
  2. Boil it for 10 minutes, then discard the water, refill the pan, and bring the liquid to a boil again.
  3. Lower the heat and let the contents simmer for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
  4. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue cooking the stew for about another 30 minutes … until the meat is tender and separates easily from the bone. By this time, you should be able to pierce the vegetables readily with a fork.
  5. Now, strain the liquid and reserve 2 cups. The remaining pot liquor can be saved for soup stock, or discarded.
  6. Next, remove the cooked meat from the bones and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Melt the butter or margarine in a large, heavy skillet, add the diced onion, and cook it for 5 minutes. Then add the flour and stir the mixture until it bubbles … put in the reserved liquid and blend the brew some more until it thickens . . . and, when that happens, combine the vegetables and meat, mixing the whole concoction thoroughly.
  7. Finally, butter a large casserole and pour in the meat-and-vegetable mixture. Lay piecrust dough over the top of the filling, brush the pastry with milk, and place the container in a preheated 400°F oven for about 30 minutes, or until the crust has turned golden brown.

some comfort food ideas

Woodchuck Pie Recipe​

• 1 woodchuck
  • 3 medium carrots
  • 3 potatoes
  • 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons of flour and piecrust dough
Directions:

1. Quarter the woodchuck and place the pieces in a large pot with enough cold water to cover the meat.
  2. Boil it for 10 minutes, then discard the water, refill the pan, and bring the liquid to a boil again.
  3. Lower the heat and let the contents simmer for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
  4. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue cooking the stew for about another 30 minutes … until the meat is tender and separates easily from the bone. By this time, you should be able to pierce the vegetables readily with a fork.
  5. Now, strain the liquid and reserve 2 cups. The remaining pot liquor can be saved for soup stock, or discarded.
  6. Next, remove the cooked meat from the bones and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Melt the butter or margarine in a large, heavy skillet, add the diced onion, and cook it for 5 minutes. Then add the flour and stir the mixture until it bubbles … put in the reserved liquid and blend the brew some more until it thickens . . . and, when that happens, combine the vegetables and meat, mixing the whole concoction thoroughly.
  7. Finally, butter a large casserole and pour in the meat-and-vegetable mixture. Lay piecrust dough over the top of the filling, brush the pastry with milk, and place the container in a preheated 400°F oven for about 30 minutes, or until the crust has turned golden brown.
Sounds like another entry for the annual Slow Cooker Recipes thread!

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
I think I can hear numbers crying here in Bergen County. 😀 Just makes me appreciate each weekend going forward to get as many ski days in as possible. We have been blessed the last few years (except 2020 - where the season would have lasted until May) with skiing into late March/early April in NY and VT.
I'll go with modern numerical weather prediction over a rodent. Hopefully nobody here takes these forecasts seriously, as Phil has been right about 39% of the time since 1887; during that time, he saw his shadow 107 times, and saw no shadow 20 times, meaning he forecasts extended winter way too often. That's worse than even guessing, which should be right about 50% of the time and way worse than how long range forecasters would do (about 60%). And with the coming likely pattern change this year it's looking pretty likely the little varmint will be wrong in predicting an early spring.

https://www.livescience.com/32974-p...w does Phil stack,a 50% percent accuracy rate.

I'll go with modern numerical weather prediction over a rodent. Hopefully nobody here takes these forecasts seriously, as Phil has been right about 39% of the time since 1887; during that time, he saw his shadow 107 times, and saw no shadow 20 times, meaning he forecasts extended winter way too often. That's worse than even guessing, which should be right about 50% of the time and way worse than how long range forecasters would do (about 60%). And with the coming likely pattern change this year it's looking pretty likely the little varmint will be wrong in predicting an early spring.

https://www.livescience.com/32974-p...w does Phil stack,a 50% percent accuracy rate.

Ill take a whistlepig over political science

Reactions: RocktheRac
https://www.visitpa.com/live-stream-phils-predictionThat time of year again. Who wins Bac or Numbers?
SIAP -- I learned today that Groundhog Day derives from Candlemas, which is celebrated on Feb.2 each year to mark the presentation of Jesus in the Temple. There is a German tradition that if a hedgehog sees his shadow on Candlemas, there will be a "second winter." Pennsylvania was very heavily settled in colonial times by immigrants from Germany and so it is no surprise that Pa. is the center of Groundhog Day.

SIAP -- I learned today that Groundhog Day derives from Candlemas, which is celebrated on Feb.2 each year to mark the presentation of Jesus in the Temple. There is a German tradition that if a hedgehog sees his shadow on Candlemas, there will be a "second winter." Pennsylvania was very heavily settled in colonial times by immigrants from Germany and so it is no surprise that Pa. is the center of Groundhog Day.
Actually, Groundhog Day and other mid-seasonal cycle celebrations like Halloween and May Day go back to way before Christianity, as such seasonal midpoints were important "weather" dates to these agrarian societies. Same was true for most other "holidays" on the Christian calendar, which the Christians were smart enough to appropriate rather than trying to root them out completely.

https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2022/02/groundhog-day-ancient-origins-of-a-modern-celebration/

Do you really want to get into the climate change politics
I have zero problem getting into climate change or the politics around climate change, but both have zero to do with whether or not we're going to see a pattern change starting in about 10-11 days. That's called "weather." The fact that you apparently don't understand the difference is why people tell you to stick to basketball.

On Feb 10th you will be like Ted in the movie Airplane sitting in the cockpit sweating profusely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT