ADVERTISEMENT

OT: House of Cards - Netflix

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
season 4 of House of Cards was released Friday. Finished episode 4, anyone else watching?

Last edited:
I've only seen the first three episodes so far. As of right now, it's an improvement over season 3, which I thought was terrible.

The problem with House of Cards it is tough to make dealing with world leaders and passing bills into law both interesting and entertaining. Only Schoolhouse Rock has managed to do that with the latter and without treachery, backstabbing, affairs, etc.

Still not done with it yet, but this is one season that feels like two separate seasons.

Also, can you imagine Melania Trump as Claire Underwood?

Disappointing. The treachery is done to death. Watched the entire season in one shot, but it's all feeling very played out.

I agree in a way. Although I liked this season, sometimes it feels that there is only so much treachery that you can do before you get caught/shit hits the fan.... I think it would actually be good if something does happen to the Underwoods and they shift their focus on another character for a season or so. Then again that might kill the show....

Reactions: Randal7
Just got through episode 1, and not reading this thread because of spoilers. I hate the way Netflix drops the entire season at once. I k is they're trying to position themselves as the anti-linear tv, but it's so much more fun to watch an episode a week.

That being said, I love this show. episode 1 was a little slow to me but good nonetheless. Good to see Doug Stamper back in full force with Frank. Claire is going to realize how

Just got through episode 1, and not reading this thread because of spoilers. I hate the way Netflix drops the entire season at once. I k is they're trying to position themselves as the anti-linear tv, but it's so much more fun to watch an episode a week.

That being said, I love this show. episode 1 was a little slow to me but good nonetheless. Good to see Doug Stamper back in full force with Frank. Claire is going to realize how
Finished the season, so much better then season 3! My only two complaints are - probably 1 or 2 too many twists/back-stabbings. We didn't need something happening every 15-20 mins in the show. Also, it would have been nice to have a resolution to the election. But overall, the show is back on track and I'm looking forward to the next season.

The series title gives everything away.. "House of Cards"... which makes it suspenseful.. from the series perspective.. how high will Frank Underwood rise? and When will he fall? Not "IF" he will fall... WHEN.

Hitchcock on suspense:

“There is a distinct difference between "suspense" and "surprise," and yet many pictures continually confuse the two. I'll explain what I mean.

We are now having a very innocent little chat. Let's suppose that there is a bomb underneath this table between us. Nothing happens, and then all of a sudden, "Boom!" There is an explosion. The public is surprised, but prior to this surprise, it has seen an absolutely ordinary scene, of no special consequence. Now, let us take a suspense situation. The bomb is underneath the table and the public knows it, probably because they have seen the anarchist place it there. The public is aware the bomb is going to explode at one o'clock and there is a clock in the decor. The public can see that it is a quarter to one. In these conditions, the same innocuous conversation becomes fascinating because the public is participating in the scene. The audience is longing to warn the characters on the screen: "You shouldn't be talking about such trivial matters. There is a bomb beneath you and it is about to explode!"

In the first case we have given the public fifteen seconds of surprise at the moment of the explosion. In the second we have provided them with fifteen minutes of suspense. The conclusion is that whenever possible the public must be informed. Except when the surprise is a twist, that is, when the unexpected ending is, in itself, the highlight of the story.”

Alfred Hitchcock

Season 4 was better than Season 3 (can't touch 1 and 2). But if it goes on to Season 5, it may suffer the same fate Dexter did in not knowing when to stop.

Season 4 was better than Season 3 (can't touch 1 and 2). But if it goes on to Season 5, it may suffer the same fate Dexter did in not knowing when to stop.
Season 5 was already approved and there are a lot of storylines to complete. I would like to see Season 5 wrap up everything - does Frank win the election? Does he get brought down? etc.

Reactions: tico brown
Season 5 was already approved and there are a lot of storylines to complete. I would like to see Season 5 wrap up everything - does Frank win the election? Does he get brought down? etc.
Forgot that season 5 was approved. Hopefully you're right that it wraps everything up.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
There is a British version of the show already (and a book).
I'm wondering if they will end it the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT