ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Imus Dead

It appears from the many posts here, that he had some kind of an influence on many.

It also appears that he was an equal opportunity critic of politicians both local and national, which can't be a bad thing.

Using the IRS and the tax code as a weapon is a long standing tradition stretching back to the FBI's most famous case, Al Capone and such criminal elements as conservative voters. I note the Imus IRS WSJ is from 2005, was it adjudicated ?

Lack of forgiveness for wrongdoing either verbal attacks or actual physical criminal acts seems to go against "modern" criminal justice; ie; release for prison overcrowding, release for good behavior, job training while incarcerated, etc, etc.

If he actually helped kids with cancer, adopted one and battled addiction then I hope the big Judge can be merciful...

Listened to him every morning in mid to late 90’s. He did a ton of charitable work, and was quite hands on. Deserved to be fired but unlike most message board personas who clearly have never sinned, he was a flawed individual with good and bad. Accomplished more than most could even dream of. RIP.

Your penchant for unsolicited and factually wrong personal attacks aimed at me leads me to the conclusion that you are a grade A douchebag.
Back on the ignore list for you.

???

Your penchant for unsolicited and factually wrong personal attacks aimed at me leads me to the conclusion that you are a grade A douchebag.
Back on the ignore list for you.

I thought that I WAS on your ignore list … what happened?

BTW, nothing that I've said about you is a misrepresentation … all I do is point out how tragic and pathetic your views are!

I thought that I WAS on your ignore list … what happened?

BTW, nothing that I've said about you is a misrepresentation … all I do is point out how tragic and pathetic your views are!

You have no idea what my views are so everything you post about me is a misrepresentation. Please refrain from replying to anything I post. Unsolicited personal attacks are against board policy.

Reactions: Phi_1055

No? You get a little flak from somebody and immediately start whining and quoting board rules.

All this after you go out of your way to disparage natives of the southern U.S.

So... you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Reactions: GSGS
You have no idea what my views are so everything you post about me is a misrepresentation. Please refrain from replying to anything I post. Unsolicited personal attacks are against board policy.

Oh, so when you comment on what a fan you were of Don Imus, and how much you will miss him, that is not a view? Interesting. What is it then? Or are you saying that we shouldn't take any of what you post at face value?

Oh, so when you comment on what a fan you were of Don Imus, and how much you will miss him, that is not a view? Interesting. What is it then? Or are you saying that we shouldn't take any of what you post at face value?

You can be a fan without agreeing with 100% of their views. I don't know the history between you two, but you're coming off as a stalker.

Hopefully it's a good lesson for all the racist morons out there that the first thing that comes up when Imus died are all the racist remarks he made.

Hopefully it's a good lesson for all the racist morons out there that the first thing that comes up when Imus died are all the racist remarks he made.

Says the guy who cheers white people dying off. Work with the medication.

In another 2 or 3,000 years, if the planet lasts that long, maybe anyone still around will be the same skin color, as the races assimilate/merge.

Who knew that "Waterworld" would be so timely ?

In another 2 or 3,000 years, if the planet lasts that long, maybe anyone still around will be the same skin color, as the races assimilate/merge.

Who knew that "Waterworld" would be so timely ?

It won't take "2 or 3,000 years".

I mean, look at all that's happened in the 5,000 years since the universe was created, right?

Reactions: Kbee3

Yet we have posters here like Sunsetregret and BigLou who can easily brush aside the racist comments because they found Imus entertaining. Sunsetregret even goes as far as to blame the victims. This would be truly sad on any college sports message board, but is even more so on a Rutgers board given that Rutgers student-athletes were the most prominent target of the racist comments.

Sunsetregret even goes as far as to blame the victims.

Actually, I blamed Stringer. She was not a victim. To the extent that there were victims, it was Stringer's players - not Stringer. Of course, if you're going to label the players as "victims" (which I choose not to do), you must label the target of every joke ever told by a comedian (good or bad, crude or clean) in public as victims also. This of course, would render the word "victim" as meaningless for practical purposes, which is why people trying to have meaningful dialogue would not choose to do so.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Actually, I blamed Stringer. She was not a victim. To the extent that there were victims, it was Stringer's players - not Stringer. Of course, if you're going to label the players as "victims" (which I choose not to do), you must label the target of every joke ever told by a comedian (good or bad, crude or clean) in public as victims also. This of course, would render the word "victim" as meaningless for practical purposes, which is why people trying to have meaningful dialogue would not choose to do so.
Imus made a mistake and apologized for it.
Stringer had every right to speak up for her players and refuse to ignore racist comments.

When a joke is based on something insulting to anyone or group of people, the person or people that insult is aimed at can be considered victims .
Hateful words will always find defenders, but that doesn't excuse the insult, just shows there are people that can use an attack on one group ( making them a victim )and turn it around like the victim was the one in the wrong and the person who attacked them was being treated badly by those defending who were verbally attacked in a racxiest manner.

Imus apologized , the RU WBB program accepted it, maybe you should consider Imus admitted he was wrong .
Making your attacking Stringer for her involvement a poor way of justifying your interpretation of what went on after the racially charged insult was made.

Reactions: GSGS
He was a radio icon. In the earlier days he was just a shock jock with some very funny characters. As he evolved into talk radio, he did a good job of mixing in his humor with fabulous interviewing skills. He was on the air when the WTC was attacked and handled it spectacularly. That stuff and the charitable work he did made him a legend. After the Rutgers WBB thing and the later political talkfest crap, he wasn't as entertaining or worth a listen, but back in the day it was must-listen radio in the mornings.

I was listening when reports of a plane hitting the first tower were reported by Imus. Werner Wolf called into the show to give an eye witness account from his Manhattan pad, which had a birds eye view of the Twin Towers, when the second plane hit the other tower. One of those events where you never forget where you were when it happened.

Regarding the “nappy headed hoes” comment, I thought I heard Bernard McGuirk utter that first, and Imus parroting it without thinking. McGuirk was the racist on that program, but Imus was complicit because he went along with a lot of his bits, like Cardinal O’Connor and “What doesn’t belong and why?”.

Imus apologized , the RU WBB program accepted it, maybe you should consider Imus admitted he was wrong .
Making your attacking Stringer for her involvement a poor way of justifying your interpretation of what went on after the racially charged insult was made.

Imus was wrong. As was Stringer. As was Les Moonves.

I was listening when reports of a plane hitting the first tower were reported by Imus. Werner Wolf called into the show to give an eye witness account from his Manhattan pad, which had a birds eye view of the Twin Towers, when the second plane hit the other tower. One of those events where you never forget where you were when it happened.

Regarding the “nappy headed hoes” comment, I thought I heard Bernard McGuirk utter that first, and Imus parroting it without thinking. McGuirk was the racist on that program, but Imus was complicit because he went along with a lot of his bits, like Cardinal O’Connor and “What doesn’t belong and why?”.

Earlier in this thread, kaypoche commented that he thought it was Sid Rosenberg who first made the comment, but I am pretty sure that you are right Scarlet Freddy, I remember it being McGuirk who first made it.

Interesting and complicated article about the type of humor shock jocks like to tap in to:

http://theconversation.com/psychology-behind-the-unfunny-consequences-of-jokes-that-denigrate-63855

Sounds like all the late night TV talk shows. Not so much Fallon,

Moving on to Rap - its gets ugly quick. While people like to seem being deeply offended by Imus and his put-downs. Just read the Migos lyrics about "Hoes" and keep in mind Rutgers had them perform for the football team

"Hoe On A Mission"

Verse 2 is colorful
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/migos/hoeonamission.html

Migos performs for Rutgers football at private barbecue
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017/08/migos_performs_for_rutgers_football_at_private_bar.html

Yes, sunset, if there is one thing we can all agree on here, the 3 of them share equal guilt in the matter. (SARCASM)

Not at all ... I think what Stringer did was much worse. She exploited a handful of 20 year olds (to their detriment) for what she perceived to be her own benefit. All Imus did was be a comedian that told a bad joke (that he subsequently apologized for).

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Not at all ... I think what Stringer did was much worse. She exploited a handful of 20 year olds (to their detriment) for what she perceived to be her own benefit. All Imus did was be a comedian that told a bad joke (that he subsequently apologized for).

Telling a story where the punch line falls flat is a bad joke. Calling a group of 20 year old collegians playing in the NC game a bunch of "nappy headed hoes" is not any type of a joke, let alone a bad one. It is simply a mean-spirited, racist comment.

I miss All in the Family and The Jeffersons.
How did we go from a country that embraced these two shows to what we are today? The most overly sensitive easily hurt group that we are.
I've long said that when the obituary for the USA is written it will say that it's downfall began with the words "That Offends Me".

Reactions: sunsetregret
Early on I tried listening to Imus....'cause a number of my buds said he was funny. They were so wrong.
Also, Howard Stern claimed that he knew of two celebrities who forbade their employees from looking them in the eyes....Jennifer Lopez and Imus. Not my kind of people.
Oh...and Imus didn't age well. He definitely had a mug for radio.

I could only understand half of what he said. He talked liked he had marbles in his mouth. What I did hear wasn't funny.

He was a piece of crap racist and his whole ranch for children with cancer was a scam. He wanted a ranch for himself and wanted to write off all the expenses, so he had some kids with cancer come to work on the ranch. If I'm dying, the last thing I want to do is shovel horse manure. I don't see how that's helping children with cancer. If you really want to help, donate the money to The American Cancer Society or St. Jude's Hospital.

I would not wish or even dismiss the death of someone. He obviously has loved ones that miss him and he was human.
Now, to go on about what I felt while he was living
I don't care if he hired a black engineer or adopted a black baby...you can do those things and still be racist. The unscripted comments about the WBB team showed a lot about the man. On the other hand, while Stern often makes much cruder remarks all the time, they are scripted and don't come out of his mouth unless carefully planned and placed.
The Ranch...yeah, cool idea and I am sure a lot of children did get to enjoy it but the man did it for a number of reasons that had nothing to do with those kids.
I never really got his appeal either but then again, I don't often go to the CE board here either. Both sound almost exactly the same.

How did we go from a country that embraced these two shows to what we are today? The most overly sensitive easily hurt group that we are.
I've long said that when the obituary for the USA is written it will say that it's downfall began with the words "That Offends Me".

Those shows laughed at everyone. They also ultimately told a positive morality (The Jeffersons and Bunkers were ultimately good to each other and the Bunker family loved one another despite deep differences). There are plenty of shows today that in my view still do this (The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Shameless) and have plenty of political incorrectness.

Imus' comment was deliberately nasty. I doubt any African Americans felt included in his "joke." OTOH, the British original of All in the Family had Archie's character played by a Jewish actor who in his role always joked that Tottenham fans were all Jewish.

Reactions: GSGS and colbert17

Those shows laughed at everyone. They also ultimately told a positive morality (The Jeffersons and Bunkers were ultimately good to each other and the Bunker family loved one another despite deep differences). There are plenty of shows today that in my view still do this (The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Shameless) and have plenty of political incorrectness.

Imus' comment was deliberately nasty. I doubt any African Americans felt included in his "joke." OTOH, the British original of All in the Family had Archie's character played by a Jewish actor who in his role always joked that Tottenham fans were all Jewish.
Agree with this. All In the Family/Jeffersons were very well written and pretty much introduced White America to many racial issues out there. How many of us used to dismiss our old uncles and grand fathers who spoke like Archie Bunker, until we watched AITF and saw that this kind of behavior was so wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT