ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Chita Rivera

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Broadway Star of West Side Story and Bye Bye Birdie died Jan.30, 2024 at the age of 91
PBDCHRI_EC003-EMBED-2024.jpg

Reactions: satnom
Rivera's father was Puerto Rican (Scottish mother) and born in Wash DC.
Most of the West Side Story cast wasn't Puerto Rican or even Hispanic (Natalie Wood was Russian).
When Spielberg remade WSS he tried to use Hispanics.
Maria was played by Rachel Zegler of Clifton, NJ.
She made a lot out of being Hispanic but she was half Colombian and half Polish.
Puerto Rican groups were upset with that she wasn't Puerto Rican
Zegler and Rivera became good friends

i heard Chita was pissed at Rita Moreno because she stole her part in West Side Story movie
Same thing with Julie Andrews and Audrey Hepburn in the My Fair Lady movie. But then she got the Mary Poppins role, so that worked out well.

Reactions: ashokan
She was probably an illegal.
Lol
There are some that don't know Puerto Ricans are citizens and think it's funny to
post nonsense in a thread meant to respect a talented Broadway star's passing.
Or just a troll showing disrespect.
May you receive the same type of respect when you pass.

Last edited:
i heard Chita was pissed at Rita Moreno because she stole her part in West Side Story movie
can't say for sure but this makes like that wasn't the case.
Might be just two talented people that played the same part having respect and friendship :

Mara Wilson

@MaraWilson

I recently learned that Rita Moreno and Chita Rivera are actually friends, despite what Forbidden Broadway may have taught me, and it was some of the best news I've heard all year

12:26 PM · Dec 10, 2021

Are there actually people who post here that are dumb enough not to know that Puerto Ricans are citizens of this country ?
I remember a recent president who wanted to have a meeting with the leader of PR…lol

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT