ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Army Begins Stadium Remodel

Saw a few games at Air Force. My brother went there. Amazing flyovers.

Back in day guys would jump out planes and parachute into Rutgers Stadium holding footballs. The tradition ended after a parachute malfunction led to a crash landing. I was at that game.

Rutgers should bring back the parachute jumps. Might get people into the stadium earlier.
When was that? I don't recall this at all. I've been to nearly every home game since 1977 and the only tragedy I recall was the drunk frat kid trying to jump the gap and fall which eliminated alcohol for all those years until now.

(and I'm not calling you a liar, I really want to know what I missed).

When was that? I don't recall this at all. I've been to nearly every home game since 1977 and the only tragedy I recall was the drunk frat kid trying to jump the gap and fall which eliminated alcohol for all those years until now.

(and I'm not calling you a liar, I really want to know what I missed).
Rutgers 27
Navy 17
September 16, 1995

Washington Post reported: "The game started on a tense note when a parachutist, floating in to deliver the game balls, crashed onto the field."

Oh it happened alright… jumping out of planes is not something to take lightly even for the experienced jumper.

At the 2007 Army v Rutgers game the Army jumpers were practicing early before the game. One of them had a chute problem and we saw him vanish below the upper lot treeline. We thought he was toast but he managed to get emergency chute open with little space to spare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT