ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Interesting thoughts re. FSU & Clemson to the SEC

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
I was down in Tallahassee this weekend for FSU - Duke and spoke with a writer for one of their prominent recruiting sites.

I asked him where he thought FSU would eventually end up, and he said “ I would be shocked if they were not in the SEC.”

When I pressed him on why, his main reason, besides the fans overwhelming preferring that, was that he just did not see ESPN allowing Fox and the Big Ten to come into their territory and take two national, marquis programs in FSU and Clemson.

I did not inquire about the grant rights, and how that could affect things as far as ESPN goes, but did ask about timelines.

His answer was “2025, or 26 at the latest. Anything past that puts us too far behind w the conference payout disparity.”

He further elaborated on the new projects FSU has ongoing (football only facility, renovation of stadium, etc) which all want to, and more importantly, need to be done before they enter into big boy territory.

Interesting thoughts from a guy that I’ve known in a while that I trust explicitly, although I’m not sure if I agree with them, but admittedly, he is way more tuned in to what’s going on then I am

I was down in Tallahassee this weekend for FSU - Duke and spoke with a writer for one of their prominent recruiting sites.

I asked him where he thought FSU would eventually end up, and he said “ I would be shocked if they were not in the SEC.”

When I pressed him on why, his main reason, besides the fans overwhelming preferring that, was that he just did not see ESPN allowing Fox and the Big Ten to come into their territory and take two national, marquis programs in FSU and Clemson.

I did not inquire about the grant rights, and how that could affect things as far as ESPN goes, but did ask about timelines.

His answer was “2025, or 26 at the latest. Anything past that puts us too far behind w the conference payout disparity.”

He further elaborated on the new projects FSU has ongoing (football only facility, renovation of stadium, etc) which all want to, and more importantly, need to be done before they enter into big boy territory.

Interesting thoughts from a guy that I’ve known in a while that I trust explicitly, although I’m not sure if I agree with them, but admittedly, he is way more tuned in to what’s going on then I am
The million(s) dollar question is what's the SECs motivation here? Is there enough money to go around?

Reactions: Igniteshield
FSU to the BIG and Clemson to SEC

but color me purple if it's earlier than 6yrs from now

Clemson better turn things around. A couple years of mediocre performance and I’m not sure the SEC will want them. I’m sure SC doesn’t want them as it is.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Those two destinations were my thought process as well, I guess who really knows at this point though
well you heard what your friend said, ' the majority of fans'

fans think with passion, the admin thinks in terms of scale, revenue, marketability, tangible growth

FSU to SEC relegates them as a regional school but a BIG golden ticket makes them national. easy choice

well you heard what your friend said, ' the majority of fans'

fans think with passion, the admin thinks in terms of scale, revenue, marketability, tangible growth

FSU to SEC relegates them as a regional school but a BIG golden ticket makes them national. easy choice
The low hanging fruit, water coolertalk, bragging rights amongst friends, and Better for Tallahasee economy is the SEC.

But you are correct, on a national scale, with schools more aligned to their mission, and their quest to greatly improve their academic standing, and separate themselves from UF, and an easier path to the playoffs, it’s the Big Ten all day

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Clemson better turn things around. A couple years of mediocre performance and I’m not sure the SEC will want them. I’m sure SC doesn’t want them as it is.
All sports talk here in the Upstate is about the Tigers. Purple and Orange is literally everywhere around here.

This is why all the "There will never be a Super League. Big 10/SEC schools won't join a league where they could have 3-4 losses" doesn't make sense.

Literally every conference expansion has been about bringing in elite programs to generate more money.

Did OSU/UM/PSU vote against USC/Oregon/Washington because it could give them additional losses?
Nope - they just asked how much money they'll get.

Same with the SEC and Texas/OU and potentially Clemson/FSU.

Schools have proven over and over they'll risk more losses if means more money for them to spend.

This is why all the "There will never be a Super League. Big 10/SEC schools won't join a league where they could have 3-4 losses" doesn't make sense.

Literally every conference expansion has been about bringing in elite programs to generate more money.

Did OSU/UM/PSU vote against USC/Oregon/Washington because it could give them additional losses?
Nope - they just asked how much money they'll get.

Same with the SEC and Texas/OU and potentially Clemson/FSU.

Schools have proven over and over they'll risk more losses if means more money for them to spend.
But it's not "just 3 or 4 losses," it's someone will be at the bottom of the league. Without "lesser status" programs to play and "top status" programs only playing each other, some won't to be a top status program anymore.

But it's not "just 3 or 4 losses," it's someone will be at the bottom of the league. Without "lesser status" programs to play and "top status" programs only playing each other, some won't to be a top status program anymore.

But no schools think that will be them at the bottom.
OSU, UM and PSU voted to accept 4 Top 25 programs next year.

All for more money.
Give OSU enough money and they will sign up to play Alabama and Georgia every year in conference.

There is always a dollar amount for more potential losses.

Fans are the same.
Start a poll here "would you join the ACC for more guaranteed wins but less money?" Most would tar and feather you just for asking.

But no schools think that will be them at the bottom.
OSU, UM and PSU voted to accept 4 Top 25 programs next year.

All for more money.
Give OSU enough money and they will sign up to play Alabama and Georgia every year in conference.

There is always a dollar amount for more potential losses.

Fans are the same.
Start a poll here "would you join the ACC for more guaranteed wins but less money?" Most would tar and feather you just for asking.
Some probably think it'll never happen to me but of course it has to happen to someone.

I think there's probably a line there between more money and not just less but a lot less winning.

OSU/UM/PSU voted for 4 teams that are good but beatable and they still have plenty of other lesser programs on the schedule. If you only have programs with deep pockets and plenty of resources, I'm not so sure everyone will find that appealing.

I think there's a line there because in the end money is only a means to an end and that end is the winning. If you get more money but you're winning a lot less and if everyone has the same sizable means as you does money matter as much?

Reactions: NickRU714
I think it’s really a two prong sword here.

First, you can’t have 20 hammers in a league. You have to have some teams that will never compete for championships and are OK with that.

In return, they have to provide value to the conference in other sports, as well as academically And in populated areas for TV, streaming, etc.

Second, I think with these larger conferences and expanded playoffs, you will see better games all around and less bodybag / payday games.

Teams now know that they cannot lose more than one game or perhaps possibly two if you are in the SEC and still make the playoffs

So you will schedule these body bag games to prop up the schedule, but with the expanded 12 team playoffs and bigger conferences, you will be able to have some three loss teams in the playoffs now

every wolfpack has a top dog, a few lieutenants and at least 1 omega but make no mistake, the top of the pack rules

nature doesn't change

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT