ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Irvington beats Belleville 84-0

It's not that simple.

It's is also unsportsmanlike to stop trying and make a joke of the game, maybe even more so. What's the winning coach to do ? Have his kids fumble on purpose ? Pretend to try to tackle but miss ?

I assume lots of subs got in the game. Should they not try ?

And if what was stated above is true, that other Essex kids can choose their public high schools then in a way the lopsided score helps recruiting...same as Michigan beating us 78-0.

Did you read the Jim Hague story about the game linked above?

It was 70-0 at halftime and the Irvington coach then said.. 2 more scores should do it in the 2nd half. He, rightly, suggests that at 40-0 in the 1st half.. maybe you call off the dogs and put in the 2nd and 3rd strings. They did some of this at 56-0...

"Irvington racked up a 35-0 lead with just under four minutes remaining in the first quarter. Among the plays that contributed to the lead, Irvington returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, an interception for a touchdown and returned a fumble to the 1-yard line that also set up a touchdown. According to Taylor, Irvington ran four offensive plays in the first seven minutes.

Taylor also said Irvington’s junior varsity players were inserted to play defense at that point and all of the starters except quarterback Brandon Robinson were pulled at the 8:09 mark in the second quarter when Irvington returned another interception for a touchdown to go up 56-0."​

Irvington obviously recruits from those schools with no football team. Maybe they need to be in a conference made of teams that do the same.

Also from the previous linked story...

Irvington and Belleville are both in the Freedom White Division of the North Jersey Super Football Conference.

Irvington, which features several college-bound players, is now 5-2 while Belleville is now 1-7 and was outscored 146-8 in its three previous games before playing Irvington.

Irvington was 8-2 in 2016 but was put in its division and given its schedule based off its 2015 finish when the team was 3-7 under coach Pete Pascarella.
Hmmm... Irvington moving down to a softer conference when they were 3-7.... I think that's the issue right there.

Last edited:
Did you read the Jim Hague story about the game linked above?

It was 70-0 at halftime and the Irvington coach then said.. 2 more scores should do it in the 2nd half. He, rightly, suggests that at 40-0 in the 1st half.. maybe you call off the dogs and put in the 2nd and 3rd strings. They did some of this at 56-0...

"Irvington racked up a 35-0 lead with just under four minutes remaining in the first quarter. Among the plays that contributed to the lead, Irvington returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, an interception for a touchdown and returned a fumble to the 1-yard line that also set up a touchdown. According to Taylor, Irvington ran four offensive plays in the first seven minutes.

Taylor also said Irvington’s junior varsity players were inserted to play defense at that point and all of the starters except quarterback Brandon Robinson were pulled at the 8:09 mark in the second quarter when Irvington returned another interception for a touchdown to go up 56-0."​

Irvington obviously recruits from those schools with no football team. Maybe they need to be in a conference made of teams that do the same.

Also from the previous linked story...

Irvington and Belleville are both in the Freedom White Division of the North Jersey Super Football Conference.

Irvington, which features several college-bound players, is now 5-2 while Belleville is now 1-7 and was outscored 146-8 in its three previous games before playing Irvington.

Irvington was 8-2 in 2016 but was put in its division and given its schedule based off its 2015 finish when the team was 3-7 under coach Pete Pascarella.
Hmmm... Irvington moving down to a softer conference when they were 3-7.... I think that's the issue right there.

Do you think teams move themselves like people buy homes?

Irvington didn't show up at the Freedom White and say, "hey, you all mind if we play with you?"

What are you guys smoking? lol

The game was made 3 years when both teams sucked. Irvington put a new staff in place, got some better players and is good now.

SHOULD they play Belleville? Well, clearly not. But they didn't do anything wrong here. Should they have brought the Pop Warner squad with them for the 2nd quarter?

The outrage over this is stupid.

Irvington returned the opening kick for a TD.

One or two snaps later, they returned a pick six.

One or two snaps after that, they returned a fumble to the 1.

Other than their QB, all 21 other players were 2nd stringers and JV kids by the half.

What are they supposed to do take a knee in the first quarter? They ran 4 offensive plays in the first quarter and were up 30-0 or something like that.

I know and respect Hague as a SPP alum. But his column is stupid, especially as he writes at least one piece per year on how Hansen and SPP haven't lost a Hudson County game since 2002. There are a lot of 65-0 wins in Hansen's Hudson Country rear view mirror.

I dont know anything about where Irvington is drawing kids from these days. But you can't underestimate the coaching advantage they now have. Pierre is a good coach and they have QB guru Madei Williams on staff now, as well as several others. Irvington always had some talent, but like most inner city schools had shitty coaching. That has now changed.

Coach Pierre is doing a great job. The whole staff outside of Madei is pretty much former Irvington athletes who played at the next level, they've improved the facilities and are active in recruiting process. They've been keeping some kids in town who in the past would go private and they've been doing the work to make sure they stay out of trouble and are solid academically.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I played for Westwood High School in the early 1990's. I think we lost to Ramsey 44-0, Pascack Valley 42-0 and Old Tappan 34-0 in 1991. All our town talent went to either St. Joe's or Bergen Catholic.

Back when I was in HS we went something like 5-22 during a 3 year period. 2 of those wins were vs Belleville including stopping a long losing streak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT