ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It's The End Of the World As We Know It (w/ Lyrics)...Can You?

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
Keeping with the musical themes floating around here these days, here's R.E.M.'s fast-paced tune. Try to sing the lyrics with the song--the lyrics are right there on the linked screen--and get back to us with the results.

I tried it once right before starting this thread, and butchered at least five of the first ten clauses, but I'll return to it later and conquer this bad boy if it's the last pointless thing I do.

Give It Your Best Shot

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:
Keeping with the musical themes floating around here these days, here's R.E.M.'s fast-paced tune. Try to sing the lyrics with the song--the lyrics are right there on the linked screen--and get back to us with the results.

I tried it once right before starting this thread, and butchered at least five of the first ten clauses, but I'll return to it later and conquer this bad boy if it's the last pointless thing I do.
I highly doubt it will be the last pointless thing you do...today! I have great faith in you.

I would try this stunt but I doubt I can go that long without a sip of beer.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:

I highly doubt it will be the last pointless thing you do...today! I have great faith in you.

I would try this stunt but I doubt I can go that long without a sip of beer.
It won't even be the last pointless thing I do in the next half hour. Being a mixture of semi-ADD, insouciance, and 18 projects going on at once, I need pointlessness to survive. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

And I proved my point--this post was pointless. Wow, I feel better already now that I got that out of the way.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
RaRa, if you issue the challenge, do it right!

Click the link and play the game!
I can't believe you even knew about this game. You are at least one step ahead of me in how to become useless on a moment's notice. :-)

I thought this was going to be a thread on the latest news regarding J.G.'s recruitment

Originally posted by HeyHuey:
It's sad but I probably don't need the lyrics.
That's impressive on some level.

Did you happen to catch them around 1980 outside the Busch Pub on the lawn for a free concert? My buddy and I had just gotten done playing a round of golf at RUGC and upon leaving saw a crowd, pulled into the paring lot, and it turned out to be R.E.M. Unbelievable.

Did you happen to catch them around 1980 outside the Busch Pub on the lawn for a free concert?
My buddy and I had just gotten done playing a round of golf at RUGC and
upon leaving saw a crowd, pulled into the paring lot, and it turned out
to be R.E.M. Unbelievable.

Didn't see them in 1980 but did catch them a few years later at the RAC but skipped the opening band because I didn't know who the 10,000 Maniacs were at the time. Still kicking myself for that one.

Originally posted by bac2therac:
pick a good song next time not an irritating one
Stop confirming your poor taste in music - one of REM's top 3-4 songs and one of their few danceable ones...and it is perfect after Blister In The Sun, by the Violent Femmes (very similar snare drum)...

Originally posted by CJ1987:

Did you happen to catch them around 1980 outside the Busch Pub on the lawn for a free concert?

Didn't see them in 1980 but did catch them a few years later at the RAC but skipped the opening band because I didn't know who the 10,000 Maniacs were at the time. Still kicking myself for that one.
I still have a crush on Natalie Marchant (though not as much as my crush on Alanis). I saw Natalie perform in the city around 2000 and she was really good. She's a strange bird, no doubt, but her songs are so unique and listenable. Our Time In Eden is my favorite album by the Maniacs.

Re: OT: It's The End Of the World As We Know It (w/ Lyrics)...Can You?[/URL]RutgersRaRa posted on 3/25/2015...

Originally posted by CJ1987:

I still have a crush on Natalie Marchant (though not as much as my crush on Alanis). I saw Natalie perform in the city around 2000 and she was really good. She's a strange bird, no doubt, but her songs are so unique and listenable. Our Time In Eden is my favorite album by the Maniacs.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

System won't let me reply with quotes, so this is my cheap workaround. Anyway, REM played inside the Busch Pub on 10/9/83, as per the link. I was there, along with a few hundred other prescient folks. I'm sure thousands claim they were there, today, lol. As they had been touring constantly, they had become a pretty tight outfit and it was a great, if short, show, since Murmur, their major label album debute, had only come out a few months before.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~darryl74/1983.html

They also played a free concert outside of the Busch Student Center on 4/28/85 (the day after my 23rd birthday), under a gorgeous setting sun. Another great show and the only two times I saw REM.

RaRa - saw 10,000 Maniacs in 1988, opening up for the Cure, if I recall correctly, at Jones Beach on LI. Natalie was so hot back then. For anyone who doesn't know, 10,000 Maniacs still tour a lot, but they're missing the most important Maniac, as Natalie hasn't been with the band in years.

Numbers,

Natalie in 1988 would've been a sight to see. And R.E.M. was on the rise in 1983, and I wasn't even aware of them. My buddy was, so he was the one who heard them playing from the car as we drove by and made me pull into the lot and check them out. To this day I am glad he knew about them. I had heard Driver 8 on the radio at that time, but after using them outside the pub I followed them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT