ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jaws premiered 45 years ago

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
June 20 marks the 45th anniversary of the Movie Jaws. Instant classic and made me rethink my lack of fear about night swimming in the ocean.

There is a great documentary on the filming of the movie, worth watching for any fan.

From Wikipedia, some pretty amazing numbers.

Jaws opened in 409 theatres with a record $7 million weekend[134] and grossed a record $21,116,354 in its first 10 days[135] recouping its production costs.[136] It grossed $100 million in its first 59 days from 954 playdates.[137] In just 78 days, it overtook The Godfather as the highest-grossing film at the North American box office,[123] sailing past that picture's earnings of $86 million[138] and became the first film to earn $100 million in US theatrical rentals.[139] Its initial release ultimately brought in $123.1 million in rentals.[136] Theatrical re-releases in 1976 and Summer 1979 brought its total rentals to $133.4 million.[138]

The picture entered overseas release in December 1975,[140] and its international business mirrored its domestic performance. It broke records in Singapore,[141] New Zealand, Japan,[142] Spain,[143] and Mexico.[144] On January 11, 1976, Jaws became the highest-grossing film worldwide with rentals of $132 million, surpassing the $131 million earned by The Godfather.[145] By the time of the third film in 1983, Variety reported that it had earned worldwide rentals of $270 million, from a gross of approximately $550 million.[146]

Jaws was the highest-grossing film of all time until Star Wars, which debuted two years later. Star Wars surpassed Jaws for the U.S. record six months after its release and set a new global record in 1978.[147][148] Adjusted for inflation, Jaws has earned almost $2 billion worldwide at 2011 prices and is the second-most successful franchise film after Star Wars.[149] In North America, it is the seventh-highest-grossing movie of all time, with a total of $1.017 billion at current prices,[150] based on an estimated 128,078,800 tickets sold.[151] In the United Kingdom, it is the seventh-highest-grossing film to be released since 1975, earning the equivalent of over £70 million in 2009/10 currency,[152] with admissions estimated at 16.2 million.[153] Jaws has also sold 13 million tickets in Brazil, the second-highest attendance ever in the country behind Titanic.[154]

On television, the American Broadcasting Company aired it for the first time on November 4, 1979 right after its theatrical re-release.[155] The first U.S. broadcast received a Nielsen rating of 39.1 and attracted 57 percent of the total audience, the second-highest televised movie audience at the time behind Gone with the Wind and the fourth-highest rated.[156][157] In the United Kingdom, 23 million people watched its inaugural broadcast in October 1981, the second-biggest TV audience ever for a feature film behind Live and Let Die.[158]

Just a great movie. If you haven't read Peter Benchley's book that the story is based on, it's a pretty quick read and entertaining. But I liked the movie better, which speaks to the greatness of the film. The book gives a lesser role to Quint and Hooper and focuses more on Brody and his wife (who bangs Hooper!). No line of " I think we need a bigger boat" in the book.

Reactions: RUPete and RUaMoose
[UOTE="newell138, post: 4611838, member: 396"]June 20 marks the 45th anniversary of the Movie Jaws. Instant classic and made me rethink my lack of fear about night swimming in the ocean.

There is a great documentary on the filming of the movie, worth watching for any fan.

Jaws opened in 409 theatres with a record $7 million weekend[134] and grossed a record $21,116,354 in its first 10 days[135] recouping its production costs.[136] It grossed $100 million in its first 59 days from 954 playdates.[137] In just 78 days, it overtook The Godfather as the highest-grossing film at the North American box office,[123] sailing past that picture's earnings of $86 million[138] and became the first film to earn $100 million in US theatrical rentals.[139] Its initial release ultimately brought in $123.1 million in rentals.[136] Theatrical re-releases in 1976 and Summer 1979 brought its total rentals to $133.4 million.[138]

The picture entered overseas release in December 1975,[140] and its international business mirrored its domestic performance. It broke records in Singapore,[141] New Zealand, Japan,[142] Spain,[143] and Mexico.[144] On January 11, 1976, Jaws became the highest-grossing film worldwide with rentals of $132 million, surpassing the $131 million earned by The Godfather.[145] By the time of the third film in 1983, Variety reported that it had earned worldwide rentals of $270 million, from a gross of approximately $550 million.[146]

Jaws was the highest-grossing film of all time until Star Wars, which debuted two years later. Star Wars surpassed Jaws for the U.S. record six months after its release and set a new global record in 1978.[147][148] Adjusted for inflation, Jaws has earned almost $2 billion worldwide at 2011 prices and is the second-most successful franchise film after Star Wars.[149] In North America, it is the seventh-highest-grossing movie of all time, with a total of $1.017 billion at current prices,[150] based on an estimated 128,078,800 tickets sold.[151] In the United Kingdom, it is the seventh-highest-grossing film to be released since 1975, earning the equivalent of over £70 million in 2009/10 currency,[152] with admissions estimated at 16.2 million.[153] Jaws has also sold 13 million tickets in Brazil, the second-highest attendance ever in the country behind Titanic.[154]

On television, the American Broadcasting Company aired it for the first time on November 4, 1979 right after its theatrical re-release.[155] The first U.S. broadcast received a Nielsen rating of 39.1 and attracted 57 percent of the total audience, the second-highest televised movie audience at the time behind Gone with the Wind and the fourth-highest rated.[156][157] In the United Kingdom, 23 million people watched its inaugural broadcast in October 1981, the second-biggest TV audience ever for a feature film behind Live and Let Die.[158]

[/QUOTE]

Kf09pZQ.png

Last edited:
When the shark came up at the transom of the boat and Brody gave the line "I think we need a bigger boat", I literally jumped out of my seat at the movie. Much to the delight of my wife.
I also think I read somewhere that the Brody line was not in the script.

The movie should've been filmed in Jersey instead of Martha's Vineyard. It was based on the Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916.

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
Just a great movie. If you haven't read Peter Benchley's book that the story is based on, it's a pretty quick read and entertaining. But I liked the movie better, which speaks to the greatness of the film. The book gives a lesser role to Quint and Hooper and focuses more on Brody and his wife (who bangs Hooper!). No line of " I think we need a bigger boat" in the book.

Great book as well, Benchley is the king of Summer beach reads. The Deep is another great book and movie as is The Island.

Reactions: Bugibba and RutHut
Saw it with my parents at the strand Theater on the Boardwalk in Ocean City.
Still one of my all time favorite movies.

So many great scenes and lines:
- The opening scene
- The USS Indianapolis story Quint tells.
- We're gonna need a bigger boat
- Fairwell and adieu to ye fair spanish ladys
- It's only an island if you look at it from the water

Ol Matt Hooper does get lucky in the book.

Then again he also is unlucky near the end.

After reading the book I waited till Labor Day weekend to go see the movie lol.

Reactions: RutHut
My favorite movie but it has so many mistakes.
Spielberg wasn’t even there for some iconic scenes but he’s still considered the boy genius

June 20 marks the 45th anniversary of the Movie Jaws. Instant classic and made me rethink my lack of fear about night swimming in the ocean.

I actually saw Jaws for its 40th anniversary on Martha’s Vineyard where it was filmed! Boy were those tough tickets to get.

Reactions: bigmatt718
saw some video segment r3ecently saying how great whites really weren't a thing at Cape Cod.. until recently. Seems the seal-protection laws have made Cape Cod a favorite place for seals.. and the Great Whites have shown up. At the end of the video they asked the shark expert his advice.. what he would tell his children about swimming there... he said waist-deep water or less. I wish I could find what show it was.. but I have failed. Suffice to say, Great Whites are everywhere.

Mary Lee had long been a big fan of the Jersey Shore. Nothing from her recently but that may be a result of her tracking battery dying out.

best_crop_ff76d18ab156d0c8a35c_pathmarylee6-17-17@2x.jpg

Saw it with my parents at the strand Theater on the Boardwalk in Ocean City.
Still one of my all time favorite movies.

So many great scenes and lines:
- The opening scene
- The USS Indianapolis story Quint tells.
- We're gonna need a bigger boat
- Fairwell and adieu to ye fair spanish ladys
- It's only an island if you look at it from the water

I believe that theater is for sale now

And it’s not a “real” thing but it does exist.

The idea started way before the green 2008 t shirt when two guys at work were watching a show during Shark Week that talked about the 1916 attacks and the connection to the book Jaws.

They wanted to retrace the route of the shark from LBI to Matawan Creek. A few phone calls were made, a boat was found/offered and the trip happened.

It has evolved into a yearly fishing trip with the guys that initially started in the Highlands, moved to Belmar and now a charter out of Point Pleasant.

Needless to say it always ends at a bar. First one was actually on Matawan Creek for a few years (real fisherman’s bar), then Kelly’s in Neptune City and now the Patio Bar in Point.

saw some video segment r3ecently saying how great whites really weren't a thing at Cape Cod.. until recently. Seems the seal-protection laws have made Cape Cod a favorite place for seals.. and the Great Whites have shown up. At the end of the video they asked the shark expert his advice.. what he would tell his children about swimming there... he said waist-deep water or less. I wish I could find what show it was.. but I have failed. Suffice to say, Great Whites are everywhere.

A few years ago scientists discovered what they believe is a Great White birthing area between the eastern tip of LI and Cape Cod. It may have been there all along or maybe it's the increased seal population in that area that has drawn the sharks.

Saw it in downtown Princeton, living in Hillsborough at the time.
As a kid swimming or wading in the ocean at the Jersey shore, wasn't really worried about sharks. Besides, you could usually see the fin. Now with all the wildlife programs, shark week, etc you find out that's not necessarily the case and it could happen anywhere.
The bull shark scenario is just more scary.

Wish I had been old enough to see it in the theaters.

Jaws is the #7 grossing film in the US when you adjust the numbers for inflation.

When the shark came up at the transom of the boat and Brody gave the line "I think we need a bigger boat", I literally jumped out of my seat at the movie. Much to the delight of my wife.
I also think I read somewhere that the Brody line was not in the script.
"You're gonna need a bigger boat" is the actual quote. It's commonly phrased wrong, by myself included.

Was living in and saw the movie in Portsmouth, NH when it came out. Made me think twice about going in the water up there.

The book "Twelve Days of Terror" about the NJ shark attacks in 1916 was pretty decent as I recall.

When is shark week? July?

Used to be early August, but they've moved it around the last few years. Also it sucks. There are far fewer documentary programs and much more "reality"-type programs. Shark week jumped the shark when they started airing all of those stupid "Air Jaws" shows, and got worse from there.

Reactions: Jm0513
The movie should've been filmed in Jersey instead of Martha's Vineyard. It was based on the Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916.

Not to be picky but I would say the movie was inspired by rather than was based on the NJ 1916 attacks. Namely that a shark would park itself in one area and make meals out of people.
There were 2 books written about the attacks that were released close together, in 2002. I read "Close to Shore". If I remember correctly there were attacks in Atlantic City, LBI, Spring Lake and Matawan. Close to Shore gives a nice historical background on the Jersey Shore and was well written. Great beach reading book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet16E
Not to be picky but I would say the movie was inspired by rather than was based on the NJ 1926 attacks.

In the movie, Brody even refers to the historical precedent at "the Jersey beach".
This movie was not about that or based on that, but Benchley was certainly inspired by that.

I read a book on this (Close to Shore?).

Attacks started in the ocean areas and the shark somehow ended up more or less getting stuck in the Matawan Creek.
My Wife grew up in Matawan and it was a thing they talked about in school.

When she was a little girl they had one of Lester Stillwell’s friends speak to her class. He was there. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet1984
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT