ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jeff Hafley Leaves BC

Bill O’Brien would be an excellent choice, if they can land him. Supposedly they are negotiating coaching salary pool. Won’t be as aggressive a recruiter as Hafley, but he can coach.

When you look at the Big 12 Conference, they had to take 4 teams from the AAC Conference.
Additionally, the 4 teams they got from the PAC were in low population states. Arizona Utah and Colorado (5 of their teams Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU and Colorado) have a combined state population of just 16 million.
If you include other Big 12 teams Kansas and Kansas State (Kansas pop 3 million), Iowa State (Iowa pop 3 million) Oklahoma State (Oklahoma pop 4 million) and West Virginia (pop 2 million), ten teams from the Big 12 come from states with a combined state population of just 28 million.

The ACC got 2 PAC schools (Stanford, Cal) that brought in California (pop. 40 million) and specifically the San Francisco Oakland area is the #10 largest TV market in the US. Also, bringing in SMU brought Texas (pop 30 million) into the ACC and the Dallas-Forth Worth area is the #5 largest TV Market in the US.

This is the reason the Big 12 doesn't have their own TV network and probably never will.

The ACC with 18 Teams will remain a P4 Conference and if a FSU leaves they will easily be replaced with Washington State, Origon State (4 West Coast Teams like the B1G) or Big 12 teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Some of the content from your post is a bit misleading. The ACC 'got' Stanford and Cal because the PAC-12 literally imploded and the league basically ceased to exist as a playable conference; those 2 schools were not looking to leave. Arizon, ASU, Colorado and Utah all left the PAC-12 voluntarily. If SMU was not willing to forego media payouts for 7 years would the ACC have offered/accepted the Mustangs?

Joe P.

Last edited:
I don't know anything other than rumors here, but I'm a Miami Dolphins fan and they just hired former Packers DC Joe Barry as their LB coach. This is the position Anthony Campanile has held. He was thought to have been in the running even for the Dolphins DC job, but they hired a guy from the Ravens. So based on all this, seems like Dolphins fans are surmising Campanile is taking the Boston College HC job. I guess we shall see. As a Dolphins fan, I hate that they are seemingly losing him.

I understand anyone that has no respect for Flood. But there are a lot of real back stories to some of these things. Flood made a couple of major mistakes- the email and going around Scott Walker...
With that said- the whole meeting was set up by Julie and the Dean. When the professor didn't play along- they threw Flood under the bus.
And why would he wear Rutgers stuff on the meeting?

On the field- he was actually pretty good.

And in the years since- he has now mentored under a couple of really good HC's...I am sure he picked up quite a few things.

As for "anyone" can recruit at Bama/Texas- well- then why didnt the coach who followed him to Bama or the coach prior to Texas win the award?

My every day bread and butter deals largely in the fascinating things people put in writing. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised at what Flood put in writing. But he did. He did a very stupid and wrong thing. Unless it was someone impersonating him, he was correctly held responsible.

Maybe he is a great coordinator but as an HC he was in way, way too deep.

And as for recruiting- he had a very nice class and it blew up and doomed him. Can't blame Julie for that but I am sure some would try.

Julie is a Real Estate Agent now, just in case anyone is wondering.
And her former boss at Louisville went down in flames.
The signs were there early that Julie was a terrible hire with a troubled past and should not be in an athletics leadership position, but Rutgers had to Rutgers.

I don't know anything other than rumors here, but I'm a Miami Dolphins fan and they just hired former Packers DC Joe Barry as their LB coach. This is the position Anthony Campanile has held. He was thought to have been in the running even for the Dolphins DC job, but they hired a guy from the Ravens. So based on all this, seems like Dolphins fans are surmising Campanile is taking the Boston College HC job. I guess we shall see. As a Dolphins fan, I hate that they are seemingly losing him.
I've posted a blurb from the Athletic with his name on a candidate list but from what's out there now sounds like OBrien, Chryst and Candle are names that are near the top.

Reactions: MulletCork
I've posted a blurb from the Athletic with his name on a candidate list but from what's out there now sounds like OBrien, Chryst and Candle are names that are near the top.
This tweet has a couple different names that may be near the top. Paywall articles but just for the comments in the tweets.

Also mention of 2nd round of interviews. One of the articles mentioned that they want it wrapped up by the end of the week.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Some of the content from your post is a bit misleading. The ACC 'got' Stanford and Cal because the PAC-12 literally imploded and the league basically ceased to exist as a playable conference; those 2 schools were not looking to leave. Arizon, ASU, Colorado and Utah all left the PAC-12 voluntarily. If SMU was not willing to forego media payouts for 7 years would the ACC have offered/accepted the Mustangs?

Joe P.

The reason the Big East ceased to exist was because it was too small (8 team conference) and vulnerable to have a few teams leave.

That was the problem with the Big 12 (10 team conference) and PAC (12 team Conference), one was set to no longer exist. I personally thought it would be the Big 12 but they endured and the PAC fell apart.

All remaining P4 Conferences have bulked up (ACC now an 18 team Conference) and is too large to be eaten and could easily replace a few team loss.

Additionally, starting in July with the new conference additions in the B1G the new teams will start to beat each other and will become more like the NFL with most teams winning 5-7 games and your conference champs having 2-3 losses. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State will no longer rule the conference as before. I would actually like Florida State to go to the BIG where they like Nebraska will become an also ran. Does the B1G really want to get bigger with minimal financial gain by adding new teams.

As you are aware when Rutgers accepted the B1G invite they agreed to reduced funding from the B1G for a number of years. This is similar to Standford and Cal agreeing to reduced funding to get membership to the ACC.
Same for SMU who have large financial benefactors who will support the program. SMU was a force in the SWC before they got the sanctioned which destroyed their football program. Their expectations are that they are now a member of a P4 Conference and with the NIL (MONEY) they will finally be able to return to past glory.

As I previously mentioned Washington State and Oregon State would probably gladly accept membership to the ACC under terms that Stanford and Cal accepted. Someone on this thread mentioned Connecticut (not too funny). They could be considered by the ACC.
Actually, bringing in Connecticut provides a Conference with access to the New York City TV market.
Fairfield County CT (35% population of CT) is in the NYC TV Market.

Some may not agree but I think the Big 12 (Will they form their own TV network) is the most vulnerable Conference and if the ACC had to replace a few teams the Big 12 could also supply teams such as West Virginia as someone has previously mentioned.

Well we will see how the P4 Conferences perform with all the NEW team members.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
The reason the Big East ceased to exist was because it was too small (8 team conference) and vulnerable to have a few teams leave.

That was the problem with the Big 12 (10 team conference) and PAC (12 team Conference), one was set to no longer exist. I personally thought it would be the Big 12 but they endured and the PAC fell apart.

All remaining P4 Conferences have bulked up (ACC now an 18 team Conference) and is too large to be eaten and could easily replace a few team loss.

Additionally, starting in July with the new conference additions in the B1G the new teams will start to beat each other and will become more like the NFL with most teams winning 5-7 games and your conference champs having 2-3 losses. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State will no longer rule the conference as before. I would actually like Florida State to go to the BIG where they like Nebraska will become an also ran. Does the B1G really want to get bigger with minimal financial gain by adding new teams.

As you are aware when Rutgers accepted the B1G invite they agreed to reduced funding from the B1G for a number of years. This is similar to Standford and Cal agreeing to reduced funding to get membership to the ACC.
Same for SMU who have large financial benefactors who will support the program. SMU was a force in the SWC before they got the sanctioned which destroyed their football program. Their expectations are that they are now a member of a P4 Conference and with the NIL (MONEY) they will finally be able to return to past glory.

As I previously mentioned Washington State and Oregon State would probably gladly accept membership to the ACC under terms that Stanford and Cal accepted. Someone on this thread mentioned Connecticut (not too funny). They could be considered by the ACC.
Actually, bringing in Connecticut provides a Conference with access to the New York City TV market.

Some may not agree but I think the Big 12 (Will they form their own TV network) is the most vulnerable Conference and if the ACC had to replace a few teams the Big 12 could also supply teams such as West Virginia as someone has previously mentioned.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Maryland and Rutgers didn’t take reduced funding. They bought into the ownership stake in the BTN. Not at all like Stanford Cal and especially SMU.

The reduced payouts specifically to Cal and Stanford will be the undoing of the ACC. And is already being used by the schools bringing cases against the ACC as being detrimental to the brand and value of future contracts.

The same is true with the SEC in adding Texas and Oklahoma and considering Florida State.

I was looking at the BC recruiting over the last few years to see if there is anyone to pluck. It was much lower (worse) than I expected, even with a known great recruiter like Hafley in charge.

I was looking at the BC recruiting over the last few years to see if there is anyone to pluck. It was much lower (worse) than I expected, even with a known great recruiter like Hafley in charge.
This is why it is a tough position. Locally, they get kids that could not make it into ND and they may still be good players, and it is a great education- but it is what it is.
They are also just not for the general public- ND will get kids that have no intent on religion just because they are ND - BC doesn't get that luxury.
And then, BC will expect their players to go to class and excel- that does not help them either.

When you look at the Big 12 Conference, they had to take 4 teams from the AAC Conference.
Additionally, the 4 teams they got from the PAC were in low population states. Arizona Utah and Colorado (5 of their teams Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU and Colorado) have a combined state population of just 16 million.
If you include other Big 12 teams Kansas and Kansas State (Kansas pop 3 million), Iowa State (Iowa pop 3 million) Oklahoma State (Oklahoma pop 4 million) and West Virginia (pop 2 million), ten teams from the Big 12 come from states with a combined state population of just 28 million.

The ACC got 2 PAC schools (Stanford, Cal) that brought in California (pop. 40 million) and specifically the San Francisco Oakland area is the #10 largest TV market in the US. Also, bringing in SMU brought Texas (pop 30 million) into the ACC and the Dallas-Forth Worth area is the #5 largest TV Market in the US.

This is the reason the Big 12 doesn't have their own TV network and probably never will.

The ACC with 18 Teams will remain a P4 Conference and if a FSU leaves they will easily be replaced with Washington State, Origon State (4 West Coast Teams like the B1G) or Big 12 teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Pure joy for Stanford and Cal to be reunited with the two PAC 12 schools (Wash St and OR St) they both ran away from like they had leprosy.

If or when FSU leaves the ACC, there will be others that follow and it won’t be pretty.

GO RU

Last edited:
Our company hired a kid who was on either the swimming or diving team at BC. I remember him saying the football players were given 3 swimsuits but the actual swim / dive team members only got 1.

Reactions: Kbee3
Our company hired a kid who was on either the swimming or diving team at BC. I remember him saying the football players were given 3 swimsuits but the actual swim / dive team members only got 1.
Happens at every school. Next time ask him where they stayed and how they were able to eat over winter break and where the basketball team stayed and how they were fed.

My every day bread and butter deals largely in the fascinating things people put in writing. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised at what Flood put in writing. But he did. He did a very stupid and wrong thing. Unless it was someone impersonating him, he was correctly held responsible.

Maybe he is a great coordinator but as an HC he was in way, way too deep.

And as for recruiting- he had a very nice class and it blew up and doomed him. Can't blame Julie for that but I am sure some would try.

Correctly held responsible but not the only guilty party. Selective "prosecution".

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Again there's a HUGE difference to the way Rutgers/Maryland came into the B1G vs how Cal, Stanford and SMU ended up the ACC. The Rutgers/Maryland was vetted likely over the course of years and was a case of the B1G being proactive. Cal and Stanford are in the ACC because the PAC-12 imploded and it was the only P4 league that had figurative room at the inn; it wasn't a planned event and they were not looking to go there (it was completely reactionary). SMU isn't getting a reduced payout; I think they're literally foregoing all media payouts for 7 years. On one hand it could say the ACC is such a desirable league that teams are willing to pay to be there; on the other hand it says that they'd be willing to let maybe almost anyone in under similar arrangements. Add this all in to ND's already-existing 'favored nations' deal and I think the hodgepodge arrangements aren't going to sit well with the longer-time league members (who have already been grumbling).

Joe P.

Last edited:
Again there's a HUGE difference to the way Rutgers/Maryland came into the B1G vs how Cal, Stanford and SMU ended up the ACC. The Rutgers/Maryland was vetted likely over the course of years and was a case of the B1G being proactive. Cal and Stanford are in the ACC because the PAC-12 imploded and it was the only P4 league that had figurative room at the inn; it wasn't a planned event and they were not looking to go there (it was completely reactionary). SMU isn't getting a reduced payout; I think they're literally foregoing all media payouts for 7 years. On one hand it could say the ACC is such a desirable league that teams are willing to pay to be there; on the other hand it says that they'd be willing to let maybe almost anyone in under similar arrangements. Add this all in to ND's already-existing 'favored nations' deal and I think the hodgepodge arrangements aren't going to sit well with the longer-time league members (who have already been grumbling).

Joe P.

Good discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Correctly held responsible but not the only guilty party. Selective "prosecution".

Who prosecuted Flood?

Who made Flood write that? That would be the only other person responsible. Julie may have been stupid. She wasn't THAT stupid.

Who prosecuted Flood?

Who made Flood write that? That would be the only other person responsible. Julie may have been stupid. She wasn't THAT stupid.
Julie wanted flood gone, but many in the fanbase were calling for his head.
She followed that crowd and tried to get boosters to buy Kyle out.
The money wasn't there so Flood stayed , until he made it easy for him to get booted out, while Hermann was thrown out as well by Barchi because she was as much as a distraction as Kyle made himself

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT