ADVERTISEMENT

OT: John Havlicek, Boston Celtics legend, dead at 79

This is so sad. John was a wonderful player who represented the game well. Prayers are offered for him and his family.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
RIP Hondo. If he didn't play for the evil Celtics I would have liked him even more.

He was considered the best 6th man in the history of the NBA.RIP John Havlicek.

The quintessential Celtic-------carried on the great 6th man tradition which was begun by Frank Ramsey for you under 50 types.

Ultimately flourished as a starter when the opportunity arose.

A member of the great Ohio St teams of the 60's featuring Jerry Lucas------and their 6th man Bobby Knight. :):)

Talk about a player in constant motion. All-World Hustler. Superb all-around player and team player and athlete. I suspect he would have made it as a football player if he had tried.

Interesting tidbit regarding Havlicek and the RAC:

If you're wondering what event has drawn the most fans into the building since its opening in 1977, you can read about it in the link below. I remember speaking with Charlie Theokas, the former Nets GM. He said, paraphrasing, "We (the Nets) oversold the game. Everyone wanted to be there to see John Havlicek one last time before he retired. The announced attendance was the official capacity (9,050), but the actual attendance was well over 10,000. It was a total gaffe on our part. Let's just say we were glad the fire marshal didn't attend that game."

http://www.nytimes.com/1978/02/27/archives/basketball-nets-lose-to-celtics-didnt-give-us-room.html

R.I.P. Hondo

Reactions: RUJMM78
One I remember best is his sick bank shot vs Pheonix in Game 5, 3x OTs, 1976. Was watching in the living room with my Pops and my brother. We were standing in front of the TV, and went nuts when Hondo hit that shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT