ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just Found Out That McCormick Was President of University of Washington

Diana, they don't, but perhaps we could mold them like that. It is interesting to see so many posters with fond recollections of the same faculty member. I've been begging for the leadership at Winants and OQ to make senior administration/student interactions, based around Rutgers culture and history a part of the Rutgers experience for years. Just because the student body is larger doesn't mean this important opportunity couldn't be made available to at least some students.

Originally posted by ch414:

McCormick, Jr. recently wrote a book, Raised at Rutgers. Gives an accounting of growing up there when his father was a professor up through his presidency. He does fess up to his affair at U. of W. and, in fact, acknowledges interviewing when he was about to be canned there. He turned down RU once, did not admit his status there, yet was hired here.

On the other hand, his support for athletics is clear. And he pretty much skewers the state for its lack of support of RU on a number of issues.

I think that those who are close to RU will find a number of his recollections to be pretty interesting.
Didn't Little Dick hang AD Bob Mulcahy out to dry after the allegations of a lack of financial controls in the RU athletic dept ? I don't recall the details but recall that McCormick let Mulcahy fall on his sword at that time.

have always thought of Little Dick as an underachieving academic weasel who gained notoriety at RU because of his father's stellar reputation as a teacher, scholar and gentleman. I had the opportunity to meet him at RU events a few times but declined to speak with him for this reason.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
Didn't Little Dick hang AD Bob Mulcahy out to dry after the allegations of a lack of financial controls in the RU athletic dept ?
Yes, that was not a Profile in Courage moment for McCormick or the Board. No one was willing to push back against the politicians, their creature on the board and their scribes at the Star Ledger making bogus claims.

Remember Josh & Ted reported that:
The expansion would never come in on time or budget.
The "secret" clauses in Schiano's contract were published in the Star Ledger sports pages by Matthew Futterman just after the document was signed.
Mulchay was out of control, when we know the key reps on the board for athletics where aware of everything he did.
Did Bob spend more money on athletics, particularly football, than some people on campus, and in Trenton, were comfortable with, Yes.
Did key leaders on campus adopt a "What? Nobody told me, I just work here" attitude the moment a little political pressure came their way. Yes.
Did Josh & Ted ever reveal their source was a political bag man with a vendetta against Mulchay going back to the NJSEA? No.

Originally posted by srru86:

Did Josh & Ted ever reveal their source was a political bag man with a vendetta against Mulchay going back to the NJSEA? No.
Who also wanted Mulcahy's job as AD!

What we can credit McCormick for is: #1) giving Mulcahy free reign to fund the RU FB program properly and #2) give the OK to take on the debt it took to expand Rutgers Stadium.
Without those two things happening , the ACC would be the best RU might have hoped for, instead of being on the path to go B1G.
McCormick doesn't deserve a pass for the way he allowed Mulcahy take all the heat, but we must acknowledge that he was part of RU FB becoming a respected program.
Even if it was just allowing Mulcahy to spend the money needed to do that.

McCormick and his replacement have let their AD's fall on the sword, instead of accepting any blame or stood up to defend those ADs like they should have.
That is what McCormick will be remembered for and I'm sure Barchi will be remembered the same way after he leaves because of the way he placed all the blame on Pernetti and refused to acknowledge his part in the Rice fiasco .

Originally posted by MADHAT1:
What we can credit McCormick for is: #1) giving Mulcahy free reign to fund the RU FB program properly and #2) give the OK to take on the debt it took to expand Rutgers Stadium.
Without those two things happening , the ACC would be the best RU might have hoped for, instead of being on the path to go B1G.
McCormick doesn't deserve a pass for the way he allowed Mulcahy take all the heat, but we must acknowledge that he was part of RU FB becoming a respected program.

McCormick and his replacement have let their AD's fall on the sword, instead of accepting any blame or stood up to defend those ADs like they should have.
That is what McCormick will be remembered for and I'm sure Barchi will be remembered the same way after he leaves because of the way he placed all the blame on Pernetti and refused to acknowledge his part in the Rice fiasco .
Good points. Outside athletics McCormick should be remembered for consolidating the undergrad NB colleges as someone said above. A really big deal at the time that in hindsight will not look impressive because no one that wasn't there will ever believe we had such a dysfunctional organization to begin with.

Likewise Barchi will be about the Med merger. In the world of college presidents, with a relatively short tenure, either of those would be a big accomplishment.

This post was edited on 3/12 4:23 PM by srru86

Originally posted by srru86:

Good points. Outside athletics McCormick should be remembered for consolidating the undergrad NB colleges as someone said above. A really big deal at the time that in hindsight will not look impressive because no one that wasn't there will ever believe we had such a dysfunctional organization to begin with.

Likewise Barchi will be about the Med merger. In the world of college presidents, with relatively short tenure either, of those would be a big accomplishment.
I agree with the bolded section above. I would also add that the UMDNJ merger was negotiated and approved on his watch (and he was obviously hands on in those negotiations). He had been advocating for the merger long before Christie took office. So while Barchi will rightfully get the credit for implementing the merger, McCormick deserves credit for getting it started, IMHO.

Agree with all except what's in bold. Only a few Tim-tards around here will actually remember Barchi in that way. While I always thought Barchi was very disingenuous in letting Pernetti take the fall (c'mon, were we supposed to believe he didn't watch the video?), the Rice fiasco is 99% on Pernetti for hiring a guy with known anger issues and then ignoring those for several years and then not firing Rice as soon as the video was revealed - TP saves his job if he does the right thing and immediately fires Rice when he receives the tape. Only morons wouldn't have been able to predict the media frenzy that would result when that tape went public (and they all do, eventually).

99% of people will remember Barchi as the guy who brought UMDNJ back into the RU fold and presided over RU joining the B1G, neither of which he had much to do with, but timing is everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT