ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just had an earthquake

Yes experienced my first shake in Hillsborough about 6pm. Sweet Pea started running and barking. Lasted maybe 4 seconds. BTW... thought we were getting nuked.šŸ˜
200w.gif

Reactions: RUBOB72
Suggest you study up on the area we live in ā€¦
This last one was a 4.4ā€¦.

Hate to see some of our posters in an actual emergency. Old men donā€™t countā€¦ this is an area where the continental shelf could be a real issue at any given time. This one at 6 pm was in Gladstone NJ.

For those of you saying no damage, in-laws in Oldwick have an inch wide step crack horizontally the entire length of basement wall and a seam that opened in a second floor bedroom wall from the first quake. Could be 10-20k worth of repairs.

For those of you saying no damage, in-laws in Oldwick have an inch wide step crack horizontally the entire length of basement wall and a seam that opened in a second floor bedroom wall from the first quake. Could be 10-20k worth of repairs.
Wow! That sucks. Hope theyā€™re in a good position to deal with it. Probably a lesson to all of us to check everything around our property.

Reactions: goru1869
Because it doesnā€™t fit the profile of a nuclear bomb going off. Suggest you read a book or two which will explain this was purely a dumb comparison. This is a poster with a Phd. and that makes it more funny.
Your inability to understand context is astounding. Of course it was nowhere near a tornado or a nuke - all I said was that for a mere instant when it started, sitting in my bed which started shaking fairly violently, the thought crossed my mind that it could've been something like that, but within a second or two it was obvious that it was an earthquake. I've never experienced a quake like that before (and the same is true for millions in this area), so I don't think it's that odd that for an instant I might've thought it was something crazy. And obviously many others thought it was something weird/crazy initially, as evidenced by the comments in this thread.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Three houses in Newark were just condemned due to structural damage from the quake and an old historical brick landmark collapsed near the epicenter.

• Sad
Reactions: Joey Bags
Very sorry to hear that, hope they are OK. I go through that area frequently. Have had a few tiny ones over the years but nothing like today. The Earth is angry, hopefully things will calm down. Everywhere, I mean.

Reactions: BossNJ
dude, you are the biggest asshole on the board who thinks he knows far more than he does. Your insecurity screams for attention. Hell, you get beat on knowledge in the weather threads by the board's landscaper; let that sink in. As for today, anyone who has experience with earthquakes knew exactly what it was and it was nothing more than a rumble. this was small, certainly not anything that any logical or mature man would think is nuke for God's sake.

you are an embarrassment with your posts. Nuke going off hahaha

as I said, a storm puts more stress on your house that what you experience today so no need to run to your fallout shelter
Pretty sure this violates the board rules - are you trying for another year long ban, like you got when you pretended to be black and made numerous racist comments on the board? Go for it. Hey @Richie O - can you take out the trash here?

And with regard to the content, I'm actually quite secure in my science education and experience, which is why I generally ignore folks like you who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. There is zero doubt that the forces exerted by this quake on buildings were far greater than wind forces from 30-40 mph winds, based on both the obvious physics and observations, like today, where there has been some minor/moderate structural damage to buildings and buildings shook violently causing shelves to collapse and pictures to fall from walls - show me any examples of that happening from 30-40 mph winds. You can't. I could try to explain it all to you with links, graphics and big words/mathematics, but that would be like trying to teach a 2 year old the alphabet - the scene in the Internship below, applies to you (sans the great leadership part).

Your inability to understand context is astounding. Of course it was nowhere near a tornado or a nuke - all I said was that for a mere instant when it started, sitting in my bed which started shaking fairly violently, the thought crossed my mind that it could've been something like that, but within a second or two it was obvious that it was an earthquake. I've never experienced a quake like that before (and the same is true for millions in this area), so I don't think it's that odd that for an instant I might've thought it was something crazy. And obviously many others thought it was something weird/crazy initially, as evidenced by the comments in this thread.
I completely understand. Youā€™re a triggered troll who believes heā€™s entitled to annoy others with an opinion which differs from his. You evidently were a sheltered child. Growing up in a privileged lifestyle more than likely. You were offended simply because I found your comment funny . Sounded like a NUCLEAR BOMB ā€¦ how about the one at 6pm this evening ? ā€¦ maybe since I have actually experienced being in the midst of tornadoes or actually have spent time in the Wyoming area talking with several seismologists explains why I wasnā€™t as deeply impacted. People your age and younger are for some reason very easily spooked by these events. While you spent your first 28 years in school some of us actually were dealing with life and itā€™s scary points. Donā€™t flatter yourself that you can determine things . Since I posted it you decided it was attacking you . It was actually funny that you posted that description of the mornings event.

• Haha
or actually have spent time in the Wyoming area talking with several seismologists explains why I wasnā€™t as deeply impacted.
Everybody knows that talking with several seismologists will help one avoid being as deeply impacted by an earthquake as most other less-fortunate folks.

• Haha
Pretty sure this violates the board rules - are you trying for another year long ban, like you got when you pretended to be black and made numerous racist comments on the board? Go for it. Hey @Richie O - can you take out the trash here?

And with regard to the content, I'm actually quite secure in my science education and experience, which is why I generally ignore folks like you who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. There is zero doubt that the forces exerted by this quake on buildings were far greater than wind forces from 30-40 mph winds, based on both the obvious physics and observations, like today, where there has been some minor/moderate structural damage to buildings and buildings shook violently causing shelves to collapse and pictures to fall from walls - show me any examples of that happening from 30-40 mph winds. You can't. I could try to explain it all to you with links, graphics and big words/mathematics, but that would be like trying to teach a 2 year old the alphabet - the scene in the Internship below, applies to you (sans the great leadership part).

Wait what ???? Is that true pretending to be another race and making inappropriate comments ?

• Wow
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
All anyone on this board has to do is take a look at the NJ.com site and read the comments about the earthquakes. I rest my case and stand behind the fact that people are easily detached and make outrageously silly and funny comments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT