ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just had an earthquake

I think that is where the actor from the TV series Emergency! who played paramedic John Gage is from--his name was Mandolph Rantooth.

iu
He had a town named after him in NJ???? And the earthquake hit there?? Wow!!

Reactions: Knight Shift
I couldn't figure that out either. I guess it was "brutal" as it has been wiped off the face of the earth! 🤣
Mythical town, exactly between Randolf and Manchester which surprisingly is right in the created area they are referring to as Central Jersey these days.

Felt another quake in Mountain Lakes.
Where abouts? I am close by.
No worries, it was just a small nuclear bomb. :)
As people mock the nuclear thing...I'm watching a Cold War series on Netflix now. It's very amazing how close several countries were to launching nuclear missiles in this series. @RU848789 neededent be mocked for thinking this "for a moment".

Your inability to understand context is astounding. Of course it was nowhere near a tornado or a nuke - all I said was that for a mere instant when it started, sitting in my bed which started shaking fairly violently, the thought crossed my mind that it could've been something like that, but within a second or two it was obvious that it was an earthquake. I've never experienced a quake like that before (and the same is true for millions in this area), so I don't think it's that odd that for an instant I might've thought it was something crazy. And obviously many others thought it was something weird/crazy initially, as evidenced by the comments in this thread.
Perception is reality.

Reactions: RC1991 and RU848789
Mythical town, exactly between Randolf and Manchester which surprisingly is right in the created area they are referring to as Central Jersey these days.

I forget: does Central Jersey call the most delicious product on earth by the correct name Taylor Ham or by the vulgarity used by the unwashed rabble of Southern Jersey?

I forget: does Central Jersey call the most delicious product on earth by the correct name Taylor Ham or by the vulgarity used by the unwashed rabble of Southern Jersey?
They are busy trying to think up a new mythical term for the delicious Taylor Ham that they can call their own..."Central" Ham??? Heard it here first.

Three houses in Newark were just condemned due to structural damage from the quake and an old historical brick landmark collapsed near the epicenter.
Of course it was Newark. Would like to see the addresses of said houses and the condition they were in yesterday.

A historical location in Hunterdon, Taylor’s Mill took on damage. I assume that’s what you mentioned here. A very nice piece of history there in that building

No but he did name his wife head of the newly created NJ Earthquakes Commission at an annual salary of $200,000, with full pension and benefits
That's a slight bargain compared to Mayor Adams giving his brother a cush job @210,000 sharply criticized by the public...but I see said brother is stepping down from his position.

Of course it was Newark. Would like to see the addresses of said houses and the condition they were in yesterday.

A historical location in Hunterdon, Taylor’s Mill took on damage. I assume that’s what you mentioned here. A very nice piece of history there in that building
Yes, that was the name of the place, thanks. And it's quite possible the buildings in Newark were not in great shape before. It's no surprise that a 4.8 did little damage relative to a 6.8, for example, which is 100x more powerful, but being the most powerful earthquake in NJ in over 200 years is still pretty noteworthy and it obviously scared the crap out of millions. Let's just hope we never get a "New Madrid" style 7.8 earthquake in the NE US megalopolis, given the population/building density and the old age of many of those buildings, most of which were not constructed to withstand such quakes. I'm guessing we'll see a new disaster film out of Hollywood on this soon. NYC 9.1!

Reactions: MulletCork
Yes, that was the name of the place, thanks. And it's quite possible the buildings in Newark were not in great shape before. It's no surprise that a 4.8 did little damage relative to a 6.8, for example, which is 100x more powerful, but being the most powerful earthquake in NJ in over 200 years is still pretty noteworthy and it obviously scared the crap out of millions. Let's just hope we never get a "New Madrid" style 7.8 earthquake in the NE US megalopolis, given the population/building density and the old age of many of those buildings, most of which were not constructed to withstand such quakes. I'm guessing we'll see a new disaster film out of Hollywood on this soon. NYC 9.1!
You said it. I mean some of the old buildings around wouldn’t stand a chance against something more significant.

Pretty interesting day to say the least.

Reactions: RU848789
I’m on pilings so our house does shake with 40 mph winds that’s what this felt like until it didn’t stop and kept going

When the loud rumbling started I thought it was a truck and ignored it. The noise and shaking got worse so I looked outside for trucks and didn't see any. I sat down and still had rumbles and shakes so I went to check furnace. That was ok of course but quite a bit of time passed while this was all going on. This was def more than a tremor. I heard on radio that the shakes were felt all the way to Boston. My prior three Ramapo tremors were way weaker and quieter. The noise and duration actually impressed me more than the shakes

Reactions: newell138
Where abouts? I am close by.

As people mock the nuclear thing...I'm watching a Cold War series on Netflix now. It's very amazing how close several countries were to launching nuclear missiles in this series. @RU848789 neededent be mocked for thinking this "for a moment".

Perception is reality.
We won’t have to worry if and when that occurs.

I saw a report on the mill on a Philly news station. They had a reporter there who talked about its history. It is still standing. A few rocks/bricks fell from it.

You said it. I mean some of the old buildings around wouldn’t stand a chance against something more significant.

Pretty interesting day to say the least.

A reason that quakes in some less developed countries are more deadly is because older buildings lower to the ground are more dangerous than well built high risers. A chuck of stone, wood or cement landing on someone's head from second story can still do a number on them.

Looks like the homes in Newar were “uncondemned”. I think the word yesterday should have been evacuated not condemned. Not sure how that would happen so quickly but I guess things get a bit crazy when war breaks out, er I mean we have an earthquake.

Glad everyone is safe and it wasn’t trucks and trains, hitting your house, explosions, fat wives and husbands walking to loudly, a military flyover, water heater exploding or a nuclear war. It is interesting what happens in those first few second of an earthquake

In 2011 I worked in the new 7 wtc. Top 3 floors. When the building started shaking every looked at each. My son in Dc texted me and said wtf earthquake? I told a large group on my floor it was an earthquake and everyone was so relieved. It’s all about perspective.

Sorry I was away and missed it, but I did get 600 more miles flying!

Last edited:
Somebody on our Township Facebook posted this as kind of a joke.
Hunt-County-Earthquake-survivor.jpg

So I decided to pull out the real thing (day 3 of honeymoon). Purchased on way out of town from a guy in a gas station spot. His picture selling them was part of the Time Mag Feature (have that too).

IMG-20240406-093506115-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers Chris
So I decided to pull out the real thing (day 3 of honeymoon). Purchased on way out of town from a guy in a gas station pot. His picture selling them was part of the Time Mag Feature (have that too).

That'd be neat to see, can you post it?

Definitely serious.
Ok.. could be box in attic or basement with all the local newspapers I brought back too. Made a nice little scrapbook.

One funny additional story. No cell phones back then. Everything landline and calling cards. Somehow my Sprint Card was the only one that worked. People kept asking to pay me to use it so I left it in the lobby phone both with a note and people used it and left my whatever cash they thought their call cost. Amazing behavior by strangers. We walked the streets and bought food from stores without any power before things spoiled. It was pure survival on the streets for a few days.

• Wow
Jersey guys used to be tough. Now?
Can see children and the elderly being fearful of the unknown nuclear booms but not from these rough and tumble former athletes. Yes , just reading the NJ.com headlines tells quite a story. Hope we don’t have a major catastrophic event .

Hope we don’t have a major catastrophic event .

Like if the local delis run out of Taylor Ham? Or the federal government prohibits the import of well-aged single malt scotch?

Like if the local delis run out of Taylor Ham? Or the federal government prohibits the import of well-aged single malt scotch?
Honestly people were so triggered by the earthquake now that is really sad. As scary as it was for some it is the reaction by some males which makes you wonder. God forbid if we were under direct attack by a foreign or domestic group. Most would be hiding in the basement.

Going back to the metropolitan area 2011 earthquake little of what we witnessed yesterday.

Honestly people were so triggered by the earthquake now that is really sad. As scary as it was for some it is the reaction by some males which makes you wonder. God forbid if we were under direct attack by a foreign or domestic group. Most would be hiding in the basement.
Nope. Not at all. Strange framing of the situation, You’re really the only the one who has lost their shit over this. Well, maybe you and 95. The majority of us were working, commented on it, then went about our days. Where were you? Home and in your basement? 😂

• Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The shaking wasn't the focus around my parts - the sound was.
I thought a tractor trailer collided with something and went went off the road.
I was talking to a builder friend today and he thought a plane had crashed.
I was never "afraid" but I thought someone was really effed-up in an accident.
None of my previous three Ramapo rumblers had any noise.

I still dont know what caused the loud noises specifically but we have a lot of 200 yr old stone walls/foundations, glacial outcrops and dense trees. Indian Point is designated #1 nuke for chance to suffer quake damage. I never worried about the plant but the lunatic pols might want to evacuate people over not too much

We also have a lot of highland roads that are falling rock zones even on nice days

wOTgiHS.jpeg

What are the odds? US nuke plants ranked by quake risk​

Last edited:
And you would be outside yelling “get off my lawn”. Give it a rest for ****s sake.

My wife just told me the state actually got our early on Friday because of the quake lol. She was off that day anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT