ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Largest Hindu Temple outside of Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignore him. His argument was basically reminiscent of the fascism of the 20s and 30s--and today--arguing for purity and not just against diversity but, in typical fashion, how diversity is part of a larger plot to subvert all that is right and good. In case, you haven't noticed certain people always find a way to portray those who are different and who they don't like as dangerous and tolerance towards them an attempt to destroy pre-existing culture. It justifies, in their minds, intolerance and discrimination and legal suppression. After all, it's dangerous.
I get it. But I don’t think fascists and Nazis should be ignored. There are too many of them now.

I get it. But I don’t think fascists and Nazis should be ignored. There are too many of them now.
Maybe their rhetoric calling for purity and conformity and defense of the "threatened" majority culture, which is always one of the driving motivations behind fascism, should be countered. But I have other things to do besides debate people peddling tired and discredited ideologies that slaughtered people in the 20th century. I feel the same about neo-marxists, peddling ideas that were tried and failed miserably.

Maybe their rhetoric calling for purity and conformity and defense of the "threatened" majority culture, which is always one of the driving motivations behind fascism, should be countered. But I have other things to do besides debate people peddling tired and discredited ideologies that slaughtered people in the 20th century. I feel the same about neo-marxists, peddling ideas that were tried and failed miserably.

This ****ing bullshit doesn't belong on the board and neither does this thread
.why the OP would start it is ridiculous

I'll give you that.

But the jury isn't out on a 15y/o boy dying from falling off of scaffolding he should never have been on or on women being literally locked into a house with one exit while the others were boarded up.

BAPS has 2 faces. The public one & the private in house slave labor one.
I agree that's pretty damning.

Buy a plot next door and build a banquet facility/hotel.. it will be booked forever.

(EDIT: after reading teh stories linked by @MrsScrew below... wow.. looks like @koleszar is correct in the use of "slave labor".. I will leave my original response below for original context)

Was once in an Asian city and I always looked for natural wonders to visit on business trips and,in lieu of that, man-made wonders. This would fit. But there I went to a Hindu temple built from caves and noticed it was dirty (human dirt, not guano). On my way to the airport my cabbie suggested a stop at Buddhist temple.. it was spotless. I had to take my shoes off.. but worth it.

What does that have to do with the OP story? I dunno.. I guess I am wondering about the long-term upkeep of this new site. I'd imagine the Taj Mahal and other Hindu sites are very well kept.. but haven't been. I guess we shall see.

@koleszar Volunteers are "basically slave labor"? I do wonder about the building permits and such as it relates to volunteer labor. But what should be a point of pride.. volunteers building it.. taking pride and ownership.. "slave labor" is very insulting imho.
By chance are you referring to the Batu Caves/Hindu Temple in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia?

BTW I agree with your general sentiment… I’ve been to Buddhist and Hindu temples all over Asia and while both have spectacular and run down examples, some of the most spectacular and pristine examples are Buddhist. That said the Taj Mahal is in a class of its own given, scale and setting but in places like Nepal where there are many examples of both Hindu and Buddhist structures the Buddhist Stupas and Temples appear to be better maintained. The most impressive Buddhist temples I’ve seen are in Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Hong Kong. Also the Sikh Temple in New Delhi is pretty impressive as well.

For what it’s worth visiting sites like these, even in the USA, gives a ton of insight about history, culture, art, etc. And as far as the heinous, but real issue of slave labor, places like Dubai and Abu Dhabi have largely been built on the backs of modern day indentured workers.

Interesting thread.

Do me a favor and read Mrs
Screw's post #21. Not all diversity is cool
Her post detailing abusive and unsafe labor practices, as well as human trafficking and other abuses of poor Indian nationals has zero to do with diversity, per se. There are horrible, abusive people in every ethnic/racial group, but that doesn't mean that there is anything "wrong" with promoting diversity of people and perspectives.

By chance are you referring to the Batu Caves/Hindu Temple in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia?

BTW I agree with your general sentiment… I’ve been to Buddhist and Hindu temples all over Asia and while both have spectacular and run down examples, some of the most spectacular and pristine examples are Buddhist. That said the Taj Mahal is in a class of its own given, scale and setting but in places like Nepal where there are many examples of both Hindu and Buddhist structures the Buddhist Stupas and Temples appear to be better maintained. The most impressive Buddhist temples I’ve seen are in Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Hong Kong. Also the Sikh Temple in New Delhi is pretty impressive as well.

For what it’s worth visiting sites like these, even in the USA, gives a ton of insight about history, culture, art, etc. And as far as the heinous, but real issue of slave labor, places like Dubai and Abu Dhabi have largely been built on the backs of modern day indentured workers.

Interesting thread.
I am.. Batu it was. The monkeys were a bit threatening.. monkeys or mandrills? I forget. I did not encourage them.

And upon leaving our little toyota-ish car got the left rear end run over by a giant dump truck.. propelling the car into the opposite lanes where, luckily, no one hit us. Crushed the right-rear corner.. must have rolled right over us. I was in the passenger seat and the impact broke the back of the seat. And I was flying out later that night... we went to a small cinder block and tin roof police station where it looked like a low-rent version of Mayberry. I sat on a metal milk crate while some old man played checkers with a policeman. I think they were testing my patience.. I won. Didn't say a word until spoken to. Boy that was fun.

This was.. mid to late 90s? Whenever Petronis Towers were nearly complete. I recall seeing a documentary on building the towers.. they had one group of workers from.. different countries and thought they would compete with each other and work faster. Wasn't all that safe for the "guest workers" either.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRnj
Her post detailing abusive and unsafe labor practices, as well as human trafficking and other abuses of poor Indian nationals has zero to do with diversity, per se. There are horrible, abusive people in every ethnic/racial group, but that doesn't mean that there is anything "wrong" with promoting diversity of people and perspectives.
The danger is that American history and culture is what built this nation and made it successful.. made it work. And the more we appease foreign cultures while attacking our own the more likely that it will all unravel. Diversity that added to the "melting pot" that churned out Americans with American values and traditions was fine. It worked. We all benefitted. But.. this? We shall see... but it ain't lookin' good so far. And we can get a preview by looking at places like Europe who have large immigrant populations who (mostly) refuse to assimilate.

His response to OP reporting labor abuses was "very cool " followed by "we are lucky to live in a diverse state"(#2). I don't think this is cool if this is what he meant by a diverse state. I stand by my comment.

Indian culture in NJ is diversity and it’s good. One congregation that is a bad actor (which it seems like they may have but I’ve yet to see the charges or anything official so I’m reserving judgement) is not diversity. There are assholes and bad actors in any group. Equating the actions of some people in a group to the whole group is prejudice.

And what does this have to do with farmers, or things I care about? And how do you know what I care about? I assume you are pigeon holing me into some stereo type you learned on cable news.
I have news for this board of learned folks. When we now use the term diversity it is much different then let’s say 100-200 300+ years ago. This isn’t so much about where a person comes from . We have an issue accepting people because of inherent mistrust .This unified melting pot we so proudly proclaim has always had issues . What makes it worse is where it was basically one area of the world entering for a better life now it is a hodge podge of many different ways of thinking. Not all want to see this country thrive.Assuredly there are now some intent on causing harm . How many? Those who should know seem not to care. All anyone has to do is look .

Reactions: bac2therac
I have news for this board of learned folks. When we now use the term diversity it is much different then let’s say 100-200 300+ years ago. This isn’t so much about where a person comes from . We have an issue accepting people because of inherent mistrust .This unified melting pot we so proudly proclaim has always had issues . What makes it worse is where it was basically one area of the world entering for a better life now it is a hodge podge of many different ways of thinking. Not all want to see this country thrive.Assuredly there are now some intent on causing harm . How many? Those who should know seem not to care. All anyone has to do is look .
I strongly disagree with the idea that there are significant numbers of people, immigrants basically, that are intent on causing harm. Although many countries send over spies etc like Russia and China, those numbers are tiny. The vast vast majority of immigrants make the hard choice to leave their homes for a difficult journey seeking a better life. They generally know more about the duties of citizenship than people born here, and they generally know what it means when a country's institutions fail and have more respect for it.

What I think people are saying when they talk about other people's intent to cause "harm" is that they have different views and you don't like it.

Reactions: brgRC90
I strongly disagree with the idea that there are significant numbers of people, immigrants basically, that are intent on causing harm. Although many countries send over spies etc like Russia and China, those numbers are tiny. The vast vast majority of immigrants make the hard choice to leave their homes for a difficult journey seeking a better life. They generally know more about the duties of citizenship than people born here, and they generally know what it means when a country's institutions fail and have more respect for it.

What I think people are saying when they talk about other people's intent to cause "harm" is that they have different views and you don't like it.
Didn’t say exactly that… but neither you nor I know this for fact. As for leaving in mass … they left for the simple reason they were told to come. In our history that was never the cry. People applied ( not now) to come and that is the reason for skepticism. It doesn’t impact perhaps some of us but in many cities you have begun to witness a major outcry of a push back by those less privileged. And they are correct … until it impacts someone’s life most just shrug it off as , “well it’s out of our hands.”

Once again you accuse someone. Has nothing to do with don’t like it. It is blatantly wrong and you will see that what you claim to support and like now may turn out badly. Duties to citizenship? So that’s why they are coming? You need to re read actual history . Opening our borders is not conducive to the nations survival and health.

So I did jump the gun here: I thought it was some racist anti-Indian BS. But it seems that this religious sect does have a history of accusations of abusing volunteer labor. But this sect also has a history of it's members being incredibly generous with their volunteering as part of their devotion. So who knows? It might be a case of US officials applying US labor laws to an Indian cultural phenomenon that doesn't fit. Or maybe this was massive labor abuse. There is a lawsuit and a criminal investigation that haven't produced answers yet. 🤷‍♂️
So now you are upset?

Once again you accuse someone. Has nothing to do with don’t like it. It is blatantly wrong and you will see that what you claim to support and like now may turn out badly. Duties to citizenship? So that’s why they are coming? You need to re read actual history . Opening our borders is not conducive to the nations survival and health.
I’m not in favor of “opening the borders”. And we don’t have open borders. But I’m not anti-immigrant either.

I’m not in favor of “opening the borders”. And we don’t have open borders. But I’m not anti-immigrant either.
We have open borders you know that and the majority of Americans , born here or legally immigrated here know this to be factual and true. Stop being a shill .

The danger is that American history and culture is what built this nation and made it successful.. made it work. And the more we appease foreign cultures while attacking our own the more likely that it will all unravel. Diversity that added to the "melting pot" that churned out Americans with American values and traditions was fine. It worked. We all benefitted. But.. this? We shall see... but it ain't lookin' good so far. And we can get a preview by looking at places like Europe who have large immigrant populations who (mostly) refuse to assimilate.
Overstated danger. People assimilate very well in this country. Right after 9/11 I read an article in the NY Times about a guy from either Greece or Lebanon who had moved to NYC to open a restaurant. He had owned a restaurant in Germany for 17 years before that and said he never felt like a German but after just 2 years he felt like a New Yorker and was angry that they had attacked his city. I go to Disneyland regularly since I have an annual pass and I see people from all backgrounds there, including a few women with their middle eastern headscarves, all bringing their little kids, all loving that paragon of infectious American culture. Even foreign stories done by Disney always have a distinctly American stamp on them. Most people who come to the US come to get away from their home culture and politics. They just retain some elements of that culture that they like, like food. But their kids and grandkids tend to drift away from it. Those little kids being pushed around Disneyland will grow up loving Disneyland more than the old country.

Yes … we have open borders… southern borders are exposed… I was there only a few months ago visiting my brother and family in Arizona. To blatantly make that statement tells me all your BS is well … strictly a lie…
no need to listen to your indoctrinated nonsense. Hope in the future you don’t have an issue with any of those who may not see the world the same as you. Don’t know if you came here , were born here or educated here? Each one is important as to how visualizes what our country is. We are a true nation of immigrants but even that term has been drastically been abused .

Those Europeans you refer to were extremely diverse with a hodgepodge of different ways of thinking and different religions. They only had being mostly white in common. Since the spring I spend a lot of time around younger people in LA taking acting and improv classes, voiceover class, seeing improv shows. They are as diverse as possible in many ways and all as American as anyone else. Your generation was very homogeneous. Younger ones today are not but they're totally American.

We have open borders you know that and the majority of Americans , born here or legally immigrated here know this to be factual and true. Stop being a shill .
What do you mean by open borders. We have thousands, maybe tens of thousands, or border control agents and are deporting people every year. People die all the time trying to make the journey because the borders are not "open". That's just partisan extremist nonsense. I personally think we need more immigration controls. A big focus of that has to be hitting the employers that hire, and benefit from hiring, illegals. As long as there are jobs, the border is too big to keep everyone out.

Oh and (Eagleton) my brother’s family have a Guatemalan daughter in law and one of Mexican heritage. For over 30 years … it’s not about immigrants …it’s about protecting US citizens in the Homeland. Most want the SAME … a safe place to work , play and raise a family.

Yes … we have open borders… southern borders are exposed… I was there only a few months ago visiting my brother and family in Arizona. To blatantly make that statement tells me all your BS is well … strictly a lie…
no need to listen to your indoctrinated nonsense. Hope in the future you don’t have an issue with any of those who may not see the world the same as you. Don’t know if you came here , were born here or educated here? Each one is important as to how visualizes what our country is. We are a true nation of immigrants but even that term has been drastically been abused .
And to your question, I was born here. I'm officially a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. I agree that we need to pay attention to having a common culture and frame of reference to have a cohesive country. And I think immigration controls are important, just not to your crazy straw man extremes. In terms of being concerned about problems with people who don't have the same goals as me: my fear is right wingers who want to tear down democracy if they can't take power through free and fair elections.

What do you mean by open borders. We have thousands, maybe tens of thousands, or border control agents and are deporting people every year. People die all the time trying to make the journey because the borders are not "open". That's just partisan extremist nonsense. I personally think we need more immigration controls. A big focus of that has to be hitting the employers that hire, and benefit from hiring, illegals. As long as there are jobs, the border is too big to keep everyone out.
Really? Well I’ll be damned. So those thousands now squatting in Chicago, NYC were they deported? You are a classic shill. Goodbye … go conversate with someone who shares your goal.

Really? Well I’ll be damned. So those thousands now squatting in Chicago, NYC were they deported? You are a classic shill. Goodbye … go conversate with someone who shares your goal.
Can't handle a calm rational conversation outside your ideological thought bubble of cable news and wingnut message boards?

Reactions: brgRC90
And to your question, I was born here. I'm officially a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. I agree that we need to pay attention to having a common culture and frame of reference to have a cohesive country. And I think immigration controls are important, just not to your crazy straw man extremes. In terms of being concerned about problems with people who don't have the same goals as me: my fear is right wingers who want to tear down democracy if they can't take power through free and fair elections.
See that’s your issue… you love to question but don’t like to answer . You can’t in today’s society have a ‘“ common” culture and go along with your way of thinking . You’re weak in defending . Stop vacillating and realize in your replies back you certainly are not sure. Goodbye…

Oh and (Eagleton) my brother’s family have a Guatemalan daughter in law and one of Mexican heritage. For over 30 years … it’s not about immigrants …it’s about protecting US citizens in the Homeland. Most want the SAME … a safe place to work , play and raise a family.
Are your relatives the ones that want to cause the US harm? Many Americans would say the ones from South America are the ones causing harm. Indians that come here assimilate considering Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindel were governors. Who are the ones coming here to cause harm? I would think some think Muslims but my next door neighbor is Muslim and is assimilating. The wife teaches at the elementary school in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Freedom of religion. So long as they kinda assimilate too. Brilliant - freedom to practice religion is a pretty vital American value, more so than the fantastical utopian-Pleasantville society you’ve concocted in your head. And please explain how “American culture built this nation” - culture is created over time, it’s not the starting point. Culture evolves - thank god.

So long as those policies aren’t gun control or access to healthcare, you know, things that would also protect US citizens in the homeland. But those don’t align with your politics.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Can't handle a calm rational conversation outside your ideological thought bubble of cable news and wingnut message boards?
Are your relatives the ones that want to cause the US harm? Many Americans would say the ones from South America are the ones causing harm. Indians that come here assimilate considering Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindel were governors. Who are the ones coming here to cause harm? I would think some think Muslims but my next door neighbor is Muslim and is assimilating. The wife teaches at the elementary school in town.
They were born here ….you must be brain dead. My entire neighborhood is basically Indian, Latino White and black . But they came are here legally especially the Hindu/Latino population. Actually used the proper protocols. We are a diverse neighborhood who unlike you and several others don’t like care about legal entry into this country. You fail miserably to see the risks going forward. Keep in mind …they APPLIED to come into this country . My next door neighbor Rajesh age 30 moved here from Chicago with his family 2 years ago. Why you ask.? Too many illegals from all over he maintains. Works in NYC but claims it is now what they ran away from. So , keep believing what you want…it’s your freedom .ALL IS GOOD …

They were born here ….you must be brain dead. My entire neighborhood is basically Indian, Latino White and black . But they came are here legally especially the Hindu/Latino population. Actually used the proper protocols. We are a diverse neighborhood who unlike you and several others don’t like care about legal entry into this country. You fail miserably to see the risks going forward. Keep in mind …they APPLIED to come into this country . My next door neighbor Rajesh age 30 moved here from Chicago with his family 2 years ago. Why you ask.? Too many illegals from all over he maintains. Works in NYC but claims it is now what they ran away from. So , keep believing what you want…it’s your freedom .ALL IS GOOD …
The discussion was about diversity and you tried to turn it into illegal immigrants.

So how big is this thing?

Can our kicker put it over the roof?

His response to OP reporting labor abuses was "very cool " followed by "we are lucky to live in a diverse state"(#2). I don't think this is cool if this is what he meant by a diverse state. I stand by my comment.

I meant it's great that NJ has people of all different cultures.

Your (unsurprisingly sad and errant) point seems to be that abuse of workers seems to be a problem only for non white folks. When in reality it's orange folks and others that have the most problems in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT