ADVERTISEMENT

OT: License plate question

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
Live in NJ. I bought a used car in PA to replace my old car that had been in an accident. Got the new plates. Put on the back one. Went around to the front ... and there's no place for a license plate.

From what I've learned, NJ is one of the few states in this area that require front and rear plates?

Also, am I responsible for drilling holes in my car to install the new plate (or taking it to a shop to drill)?

2010 Nissan Sentra, FWIW.

Live in NJ. I bought a used car in PA to replace my old car that had been in an accident. Got the new plates. Put on the back one. Went around to the front ... and there's no place for a license plate.

From what I've learned, NJ is one of the few states in this area that require front and rear plates?

Also, am I responsible for drilling holes in my car to install the new plate (or taking it to a shop to drill)?

2010 Nissan Sentra, FWIW.

Actually, Pennsylvania and Delaware are the only 2 states in the northeast that don't require a front licence plate. Front plates are required by Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, District of Columbia, and Virginia. Across the country, 31 states (+DC) require front plates.

And in answer to your question, yes, you are required to drill the holes, or take the car to a shop to drill. If you bought the car from a dealer, they will probably drill the holes for free.

I have a different license plate question.
I live in NY but on Wednesday night after returning home from the RAC
a late model Ford Econoline type van passed and cut in front of me only to
go 50 yards to a red light. Guess I was going too slow. When we were stopped
by the light I noticed that the van had the old blue NJ plates. Is it still possible to
have those type plates on a car/truck after this many years?. Especially on a truck
that is less than 5 years old.

Onthebanks,
I still have the blue plates. Have to go now,my neighbor just invented this thing he calls fire and he hasn't figured out how to turn it off.

Front plates are a requirement in NJ and you can be ticketed for not having one.

That said, the cops will give you some latitude depending on the car. I've skipped the front plate on a couple of mine over the years because the design of the car just didn't lend itself to a clean front plate installation. I never got hassled for it. A 6 year-old Sentra probably won't fall into that category, so you might want to just bite the bullet and drill the holes.

I'll definitely drill the holes. I was just pretty shocked since every car I've had before was from Jersey and already had the plates drilled in. Was caught off guard due to understandable ignorance.

I'll definitely drill the holes. I was just pretty shocked since every car I've had before was from Jersey and already had the plates drilled in. Was caught off guard due to understandable ignorance.

I'm totally stealing this.

"Your honor, I plead Understandable Ignorance."

Here's an interesting option

ODDFakeLicensePlate-0508f.jpg

Washington Post
Homemade, cardboard license plate lands NY woman in jail

Reactions: RU205
I have a different license plate question.
I live in NY but on Wednesday night after returning home from the RAC
a late model Ford Econoline type van passed and cut in front of me only to
go 50 yards to a red light. Guess I was going too slow. When we were stopped
by the light I noticed that the van had the old blue NJ plates. Is it still possible to
have those type plates on a car/truck after this many years?. Especially on a truck
that is less than 5 years old.
YES. You can get old plates transferred. I've seen a couple of the old buff plates that were used prior to the "blue" ones, over the last couple of years. If memory serves the old buff plates were three letters, followed by three numbers. Initial run of "blue" plates (1980?) were three numbers, followed by three letters.

Quick story. Back in mid-70's during the gas lines, local stations rationed on an "odd/even" system. Even number (last digit) one day, odd numbers the next. My Dad had a Ford LTD II wagon with a 36 gallon tank. Mom had a Dodge Colt with a 12 gallon tank. Consecutive plate numbers. My Dad would swap the plates every day, and take the LTD to the gas station (he moved around alot). Get 36 gallons, siphon to Mom's car, and dump another 5 to 10 gallons into gas cans.

Last edited:
Here's a picture history of New Jersey license plates.

Ya know when the state government decided they wanted to put "Garden State" on the license plates they ordered a report on how and why New Jersey obtained the nickname the "Garden State." In the end, they couldn't find the definitive reason why we obtained that name. There are some obtuse references to New Jersey and its gardens in history but no one moment when we became The Garden State. There was a newspaper or two articles printed in the 1890s that referenced us as that. But again, no definitive start point.

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_NJXX.html

Here's a picture history of New Jersey license plates.

Ya know when the state government decided they wanted to put "Garden State" on the license plates they ordered a report on how and why New Jersey obtained the nickname the "Garden State." In the end, they couldn't find the definitive reason why we obtained that name. There are some obtuse references to New Jersey and its gardens in history but no one moment when we became The Garden State. There was a newspaper or two articles printed in the 1890s that referenced us as that. But again, no definitive start point.

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_NJXX.html
Thanks for the link. 99% sure they have the two 1979 series backwards. It was always three letters, and three numbers, until the second "blue" series. My Dad bought the car I drove in HS in early 1980. plate was 913-MUA ("blue" plate) letters were not mixed with numbers until late eighties if I remember.

Thanks for the link. 99% sure they have the two 1979 series backwards. It was always three letters, and three numbers, until the second "blue" series. My Dad bought the car I drove in HS in early 1980. plate was 913-MUA ("blue" plate) letters were not mixed with numbers until late eighties if I remember.

Well, I kept my plates since the mid-80s. They are a light yellow on a blue background with plate: Letter-Letter-Letter -- Number-Number-Letter

Don't drill holes. Go to a Nissan dealer. They may have a bracket that can be bolted under the front grill.

I've bought a license plate bracket that can be bolted to the bumper at an auto store some years ago because my car did not have a front bracket (I live in PA), so I could mount a decorative plate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT