ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looking for an aggressive Accountant in North Jersey

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

A guy interview some accountants. He only asks one question during the interview. "How much is 2+2?" He is frustrated by all of the candidates saying 2+2=4. Finally he gets his man. His answer was "How much do you need it to be?"
3dgrin.r191677.gif
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wheezer:
Originally posted by RUaMoose:

I went from an $800 return last year to having to pay over $1000 (not sure of the exact number. I'll get the details Friday but IK it's over 1k and could be as much as $2500). Needless to say I'm not very happy. What I don't get is nothing really change from last year other than my wife picking up a P/T bus job over the summer. Taxes were withheld but not at a high enough rate. Sure my mortgage write off went down, but my property taxes went up so that should be a wash. I'm going to quiz my accountant on exactly why there was such a radical swing from '13 to '14.
Moose,

having a new part time job where someone works less than or around 15 hours a week can add a lot to the final tax bill......I was a small business owner and it was quite common with me because most of the employees were students/part timers

the federal withholding does not kick in for a lot of the paychecks if the weekly pay is not much.....so someone could work an entire year and have little or no federal withholding, but several thousand dollars earned on their W2 by the end of the year

of course the employee could ask for a certain amount to be withheld each week anyway, if it makes them feel better....but the net result is of course they paid the same tax in the end, just in advance.
This post was edited on 3/1 9:00 AM by wheezer
turns out she was ony having 6-7 percent withheld and made $12k more compared to 2013 and for whatever reason less total taxes were paid in 2014 by about $1500. So we made more yet paid less. That and I did much better with cap gains/divs on my stocks and mutual funds in 2014 when compared to 2013. Acct stressed that as you get older your tax liability creeps up ( kids become adults, mortgage interest deduction goes down, etc) which should be obvious but if you're not paying attention it will bite you. Told us we need to make sure 16 percent (combined) is coming out going forward.

This thread is funny. RC, I have a guy in the city that does mine and from what I understand (I deliberately want to know the least possible) he does what you are looking for. Not cheap but hopefully you get what you pay for. Let me know if you want his info.

Originally posted by Doctor Worm:

There is nothing at all hypocritical about a progressive trying to LEGITIMATELY minimize his personal tax burden. For example, I happen to be among the 2% of Americans (based on the last poll I saw on the subject) who believes that tax rates are too low across the board. I'd like to see a return to the rates of the prosperous Clinton era. When I mention that to people, the inevitable response is "If you want to pay more taxes, go ahead". To which my response is "What, do you think I'm crazy? NOBODY wants to pay more taxes; and I'm certainly not going to be the only chump doing so. But if we ALL did, then in my humble opinion at least, we'd have a better nation."

I'm not exactly sure why you think it would be better. Government spending is only beneficial to a certain point. The problem with it is that the government is made up of politicians, who tend to spend money for political reasons. Often times, those agendas are at odds with efficient, effective spending.

I'd also say it's rather simplistic to attribute the Clinton economic success to higher taxes. There were several factors that benefitted the economy at that time. The "peace dividend" after the Cold War, and mainstreaming of computers and the internet were significant factors. Also, the "tech bubble" contributed as well, but of course that wasn't a solid foundation, as it turned out.

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

There is nothing at all hypocritical about a progressive trying to LEGITIMATELY minimize his personal tax burden. For example, I happen to be among the 2% of Americans (based on the last poll I saw on the subject) who believes that tax rates are too low across the board. I'd like to see a return to the rates of the prosperous Clinton era. When I mention that to people, the inevitable response is "If you want to pay more taxes, go ahead". To which my response is "What, do you think I'm crazy? NOBODY wants to pay more taxes; and I'm certainly not going to be the only chump doing so. But if we ALL did, then in my humble opinion at least, we'd have a better nation."

I'm not exactly sure why you think it would be better. Government spending is only beneficial to a certain point. The problem with it is that the government is made up of politicians, who tend to spend money for political reasons. Often times, those agendas are at odds with efficient, effective spending.

I'd also say it's rather simplistic to attribute the Clinton economic success to higher taxes. There were several factors that benefitted the economy at that time. The "peace dividend" after the Cold War, and mainstreaming of computers and the internet were significant factors. Also, the "tech bubble" contributed as well, but of course that wasn't a solid foundation, as it turned out.
Nice job Topdeck!

Actually, current tax rates are higher than they were during the Clinton Administration when you include the ACA surcharges on investment income and taxable wages.

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have serious issues with paying any more taxes than already, unless there's a modicum of proof that they're being efficiently and wisely..

RCTrooper - Agressive accountant doesn't sound good. You should look for a GOOD accountant.

Originally posted by Extra Point:
Originally posted by RU4Real:

Originally posted by mikefla:
wow amazing how many REtPards will string up a fellow RU...remember that in 2016!
Good to see that the Early Bird set is still breathing and able to contribute.
I don't even understand what he meant. Can someone translate?
It means that the board members have been stringing each other up for about 10 years now, and it seems as if Mikefla just realized it. So RUReal figured Mikefla might have been dead since Mike just realized how this board operates, but low and behold Mike has posted and in fact contributed to the board. But that is RUReal's sarcasm because what Mike contributed was known by everyone for 10 years. RUReal posts some complicated sh!t in a few words.
Just burst out laughing at this...Good stuff!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT