ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Making a Murderer

chase07470

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2010
Anyone see the Netflix documentary series? Most addicting television I've seen. Watched it in two days. Crazy, corrupt justice system in that part of Wisconsin.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I saw the first episode, well done. 2 hours long. How was the 2nd episode?

Saw The Reverent last night w Leo DiCaprio, great outdoors 1800s w pursuing Indians and lots of badguys Revenge movie. Not a lot of dialouge , not for the squeemish. Definitely a 'Dude's' movie.

I really liked it but have to wonder what the filmmakers left out. I don't want to give any spoilers so I'll leave it at that.

Abro1975 - pretty sure each episode was about 1 hour.

Posted on this prior to Christmas and was surprised no one watched. You can't look away. No doubt there was some real bad police work done.

Prosecutors can get almost anyone indicted if they want (eg ham sandwich), But it's the money spent on a good defense lawyer or legal team that is the big difference on who gets convicted or not. Many who get arrested (not all ) don't have the resources to obtain a top legal defense team to put up a great defense. Like many things in life... you get what you pay for.

My daughter had me watch it and then I couldn't look away.

It's the heroin of television. Once you hit the second episode, you're a goner. And that fourth episode, holy moly, I was ready to reach into the TV and grab that public defender by the throat and bash his face in.

That whole county judicial system needs to be completely flushed. It's just maddening.

Reactions: RUJEEPFAN
I actually thought the nephew got it even worse. How could he not have been granted a new trial - ridiculous.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Lots of evidence that wasn't shown or talked about in the series that paints a different picture. Among other things:
  • Avery kept requesting Theresa to be the one to take photos on numerous occasions
  • On day of her disappearance, Avery called Theresa on her cellphone 3 times using *67 so his number wouldn't show up on caller ID
  • 3 weeks prior, Avery had purchased handcuffs and leg shackles (which he said he planned to use with his girlfriend)
  • On a previous visit from Theresa to photograph another car, Avery greeted her in only a towel
  • Avery's DNA found on hood of the Rav4, which coincides with his nephew's testimony that he helped him move the car into the junkyard where Avery opened the hood and disconnected the battery
  • Theresa's DNA found on the bullet and bullet matched Avery's gun which was kept above his bed (also matches nephew's full testimony that wasn't shown)
  • Nephew's full testimony included more realistic and certain account of what happened and also mentioned that he had been molested by Avery
  • Theresa's camera and palm pilot were found in the burn barrel
Definitely makes you second guess you're initial thoughts on this case, right?

Guy was reailroaded bigtime to stop the county from having to pay out 36 mil.

The series teaches us 3 things

1. Don't be poor
2. Don't be dumb.
3. Don't ever get arrested in Wisconsin

Prosecutors can get almost anyone indicted if they want (eg ham sandwich), But it's the money spent on a good defense lawyer or legal team that is the big difference on who gets convicted or not. Many who get arrested (not all ) don't have the resources to obtain a top legal defense team to put up a great defense. Like many things in life... you get what you pay for.

It can be scary to watch real life adjudication.... was once on a jury for a case of a guy who was accused of exposing himself to two minor girls - pretty unpleasant subject - but the ineptitude of the defense attorney was maddening - and the potentially suspect case put forward by the prosecution stood essentially unshaken because the defense never manged to directly attack any critical elements. We all sat there scratching our heads wondering how the prosecution could have decided to move to trial with such a swiss cheese case - and how the defense could fail to seize upon basic holes.

Lots of evidence that wasn't shown or talked about in the series that paints a different picture. Among other things:
  • Avery kept requesting Theresa to be the one to take photos on numerous occasions
  • On day of her disappearance, Avery called Theresa on her cellphone 3 times using *67 so his number wouldn't show up on caller ID
  • 3 weeks prior, Avery had purchased handcuffs and leg shackles (which he said he planned to use with his girlfriend)
  • On a previous visit from Theresa to photograph another car, Avery greeted her in only a towel
  • Avery's DNA found on hood of the Rav4, which coincides with his nephew's testimony that he helped him move the car into the junkyard where Avery opened the hood and disconnected the battery
  • Theresa's DNA found on the bullet and bullet matched Avery's gun which was kept above his bed (also matches nephew's full testimony that wasn't shown)
  • Nephew's full testimony included more realistic and certain account of what happened and also mentioned that he had been molested by Avery

Um, no it doesn't. The test of our judicial system is Guilty Beyond A Reasonable Doubt. There is a plethora of reasonable doubt in this case. And when you add in the levels of corruption involved in this case, it is hard to trust any of the evidence presented against the defendant.

The President can't overturn a verdict. Also, he can not pardon the guilty party in a State crime.

I'd say based on what I've seen so far (only the first three episodes), there is a reasonable doubt present......

They played a voicemail of her confirming her upcoming appointment at Avery's property. She didn't sound nervous/apprehensive at all and knew exactly where she'd be going and who she would be meeting.

They played a voicemail of her confirming her upcoming appointment at Avery's property. She didn't sound nervous/apprehensive at all and knew exactly where she'd be going and who she would be meeting.

Right. She also let two people at work know, while talking to them that day, that she was going to Avery's house. Clearly, she knew where she was going. As for the other "evidence" presented by the poster you were responding to, it's all weak. The DNA on the hood latch - that obviously could easily be planted. It wasn't necessarily sweat or anything, and the investigators had access to Avery's property for over a week. Also, an open flame (which the bonfire was), wouldn't have destroyed a human body the way the victim's was.

Most damning to the prosecution's case is the fact that there was not one bit of blood found in the Avery's garage or bedroom, where all this supposedly took place. We're expected to believe that Avery could have killed this woman, destroyed every single bit of evidence where it happened, then just somehow forget about her car key? Really? If anyone thinks that all of that proves he's guilty beyond reasonable doubt, then I really wouldn't want you on any jury.

did not see this, where?

The other thing the prosecutor said was that Avery initially said she didn't show up. I don't remember seeing that anyway and recall from one episode him answering questions where he said she did show up.

It can be scary to watch real life adjudication.... was once on a jury for a case of a guy who was accused of exposing himself to two minor girls - pretty unpleasant subject - but the ineptitude of the defense attorney was maddening - and the potentially suspect case put forward by the prosecution stood essentially unshaken because the defense never manged to directly attack any critical elements. We all sat there scratching our heads wondering how the prosecution could have decided to move to trial with such a swiss cheese case - and how the defense could fail to seize upon basic holes.

So, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what happened?

did not see this, where?

The other thing the prosecutor said was that Avery initially said she didn't show up. I don't remember seeing that anyway and recall from one episode him answering questions where he said she did show up.

Very beginning of Episode 2:

woman: Hello, this is Teresa with Auto Trader magazine. I'm the photographer and just giving a call to let you know that I could come out there today um, in the afternoon. It would probably be around 2:00 or even a little later. Um... again, it's Teresa. If you could please give me a call back and let me know if that'll work for you. Thank you.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=524&t=24353

http://www.watchseries.li/link/5614169

Last edited:
Walk up folks. The documentary is playing for the many conspiracy obsessive Americans who are suspicious wherever the government or law enforcement is involved. Steven Avery is a total creep and is guilty as hell. He is exactly where he belongs and is fortunate Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty. It so ironic that these people who are crying conspiracy at every opportunity are so gullible in allowing themselves to be manipulated by the media.

Reactions: Knight177lb
So, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what happened?

Charge to the jury was pretty cut & dried - rule on what was presented in the trial - and do not go and do you own independent outside research / amateur detective work. The way the case was prosecuted & defended left no real options - jury deliberated for about 45 minutes & found the guy guilty.

We all wondered how it would have turned out if the defense had put forth challenges to the evidence presented by the prosecution - if the defense had give some reason to question.

Walk up folks. The documentary is playing for the many conspiracy obsessive Americans who are suspicious wherever the government or law enforcement is involved. Steven Avery is a total creep and is guilty as hell. He is exactly where he belongs and is fortunate Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty. It so ironic that these people who are crying conspiracy at every opportunity are so gullible in allowing themselves to be manipulated by the media.
I'd have to respectfully disagree

Reactions: RUbanks and mikefla
Wis looks like Alabama with worse weather..............I am only 2 episodes in but Steven Avery may be a creepy...but he didnt do the 1st crime.

It's the heroin of television. Once you hit the second episode, you're a goner. And that fourth episode, holy moly, I was ready to reach into the TV and grab that public defender by the throat and bash his face in.

That whole county judicial system needs to be completely flushed. It's just maddening.

Just finished #4. Your reaction is spot on! This is abhorrent. It makes you want to go out and become a public defender. And in 40 years that thought never crossed my mind till you see something like this.

Man I thought politicians were bad and untrustworthy!

You have to listen to Len Kasinsky's interview on TMZ. the guy is a complete dope.

Not sure how you can come to this level of conviction with the following is still in place:

Blood in the car but a vial of blood tampered with.

Bullet found, months after searches retrieved no bullet. No heavy cleaning solutions anywhere in the garage.

Keys found in the open in the bedroom weeks after multiple searches revealed no keys.

Every piece of evidence is suspicious. And how could that many police on the property not find all the blood that would exist had she indeed been shot as they say?

Maybe he did kill her. But when you don't investigate all the other possibilities, all of your evidence is highly questionable, your one witness is a highly malleable, 70 IQ who was coerced and the guy you convict is on the verge of bankrupting the county to the tune of tens of millions, the case is actually much stronger against the state framing Avery then it is on Avery actually killing her.

Reactions: RU1977 and RUbanks
Not sure how you can come to this level of conviction with the following is still in place:

Blood in the car but a vial of blood tampered with.

Bullet found, months after searches retrieved no bullet. No heavy cleaning solutions anywhere in the garage.

Keys found in the open in the bedroom weeks after multiple searches revealed no keys.

Every piece of evidence is suspicious. And how could that many police on the property not find all the blood that would exist had she indeed been shot as they say?

Maybe he did kill her. But when you don't investigate all the other possibilities, all of your evidence is highly questionable, your one witness is a highly malleable, 70 IQ who was coerced and the guy you convict is on the verge of bankrupting the county to the tune of tens of millions, the case is actually much stronger against the state framing Avery then it is on Avery actually killing her.
The nephew was not a witness in Avery's case. He did not testify and in fact the prosecution's theory in the Avery trial was that she was killed in the garage and not tied up on the bed, raped and throat cut. The FBI tested the blood evidence and proved that it dd not come from the vial of blood from the previous trial. The key was found after the bookcase was moved forcefully and shaken. Skull fragments had evidence of gunshots. The guy's house and garage were a total mess as the man lived in a pigsty within a junk yard. The bullet fragment was easy to miss that's why they searched for it multiple times. If the police wanted to plant evidence to frame him, surely they could have done better than hypothesized and planted much more solid evidence and done it sooner. Do you really think someone else killed her, moved her car to Avery's salvage yard and then burned her body and dumped her bones in the Avery fire pit the same evening? All that and Avery or no one else in the family ever noticed? The man had a fair trial of his peers. The fact is that the jury did not buy into the defense theory that he was framed by the police. They heard the defense arguments and decided they were bullshit. I wish people would stop feeling sorry for the man who is a cold-blooded murderer. Forgotten in all this is the actual victim, a beautiful young woman who was hard at work and unfortunately had to do business with the scum of the earth..

Last edited:
Yeah I've heard this TV show isn't quite as fair as it seems to be.

They in no way proved any such thing.

Right. On top of that, the guy from the FBI said that all samples in the truck were negative for EDTA...despite the fact that they supposedly only tested three, not all of them. And despite the fact that you in no way can authoritatively say that EDTA isn't present on any sample. How could you possible make that assertion and feel okay about yourself?

As for the bullet supposedly with DNA on it, the tech testing it somehow found her own DNA in the negative control. That made the test invalid. But she somehow used the whole sample, so she decided to submit a deviation so the results could be used. That's just not how it should work. You're basically presenting "evidence" that's, at best, flawed and misleading.

And they searched his bedroom at least twice before finding the key? And the guy who magically found the key just happened to be James Lenk. I'm sure that was a coincidence.

It's not about conspiracy theories or even whether Avery did it, though. It's about the fact that he didn't get a fair chance in life, and the fact that the system is so screwed up. To me, the bigger travesty is what happened to Brendan Dassey. Dassey was a learning-disabled kid who didn't know any better, and was just abused by Kachinsky and his sidekick O'Kelly. These were people who were supposed to be defending him, and they practically coerced him into confessing things he didn't do. Dassey being interrogated without counsel or a parent present and being spoon-fed what to say was bad enough, but what O'Kelly did, with Kachinsky's help, was horrifying.

You can't send someone to jail for the rest of their life just because they're odd or a little creepy or you think maybe they did something. That's not the way it should work, at least, but it all too often does for people without the knowledge and resources to defend themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: CERU00
only been through episode three - but it appears that both sides of the story have a lot of issues. Most troubling is how the prosecution side has behaved. Avery is no saint - but the system in Manitoc and Wisconsin overall is very troubling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT