ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Making a Murderer

Exactly, which is exculpatory evidence that shows it wasn't Avery.

She was already near his trailer. Witnesses establish that fact. Why would he take her to some remote part of the property, kill her, then take here all the way back to the trailer to burn the body?

Occam's razor fits in here somewhere. Then why wouldn't he just dispose of the vehicle. He had the means (car crusher) and had been using it in the previous 24 hours to the crime. Or at the very least, hide the vehicle somewhere in the middle of all those cars where it would have taken months to find, instead of right there at the front entrance with a few twigs and branches to cover it up. He's dumb, but not *that* dumb.

The whole thing doesn't even pass a basic smell test.
Apparently he is that dumb. He was convicted after the jury heard all the evidence and the defense arguments. This guy was not represented by a public defender. He spent $400K on his attorneys and they were the best around. The man is a murderer.

So let me get this straight:

You were part of a jury where multiple members felt that the prosecution's case was severely flawed, and filled with as many holes as a piece of "Swiss cheese", yet you still voted to convict the guy as guilty beyond all reasonable doubt?

You have an obligation as a citizen of this country to make a conscientious decision completely irregardless of what a judge or lawyer does or doesn't say. If you have questions as to whether or not the guy is guilty then it is your sworn duty to vote 'innocent'. There should be no other choice.

You are exhibit A of what's wrong with our justice system.

No, first take it down a bit -
As you have no knowledge of this case - beyond my comments that you have misinterpreted & distorted... my point was that the prosecution's case as presented seemed to have potential points where a defense attorney could poke holes - ways in which it could be vulnerable to aggressive questioning - but the defense attorney never asked the questions - so absent any real probing questions from the defense attorney that could create a basis for reasonable doubt, the evidence stood as presented - and there was no way to view the accused as anything but guilty.

I can tell you most vehemently that this was a comprehensively deliberated case and each and every member of the jury carefully and thoroughly examined all of the factors.The jury came from all walks of life but certainly had a uniformly high level of commitment to serving the judicial process with integrity and to decide the case upon the evidence presented. The gravity of the situation was fully appreciated by all members of the jury. I and 13 other citizens (12 jurors and 2 alternates) spent 5 full days in this process and if there was any reasonable way that we could have said that the defense cast reasonable doubt upon the evidence, this jury would have definitely have reached a different conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: cRURah
Saw this comment online & had to share:
---
Let me recap the prosecution's "airtight" case in a nutshell:

A guy who is a month or two away from a $36 million dollar check gets impatient waiting for all that money and decides to rape and murder a woman that he telephonically arranges (which she seems un-frightened to see him in her voicemail) to come visit his property in the middle of a weekday in full view of various people coming and going from said property. Once he gets her inside his trailer and commences with said raping, he gets a knock on his door, and answering it, he sees his nephew with the mental capacity of a 9 year old. Rather than saying, "I'm busy", he invites said nephew in to witness, participate in, and eventually confess about all the subsequent rapiness and other crimes that happen. Luckily for him, the nephew does not seem to possess any DNA, since none of it gets anywhere during the entire afternoon and evening.

Later, after much raping, stabbing, cutting, slitting, etc, that happens without any blood loss, the woman is dragged to the garage where she is shot eleven times, again without any blood loss, and also without making any sound. Later that evening, they burn the woman's body a few yards away from where several people live, without the horrifying and distinctive smell caused by a burning body.

At some point during this time, the guy and his nephew drive the woman's car (after first taking some of her bloody hair and drawing pictures with it in the back of the vehicle) to what they think is a perfect hiding spot behind 3 or 4 branches, which is located very close to a large and inconvenient car-crusher. They do this without leaving any fingerprints or the tiniest bit of DNA in the car, except for a lot of smeared blood in very obvious spots.

Three days later the police come asking questions and want to look around inside the trailer. The guy lets them do it, knowing he is safe because all of the raping, stabbing, cutting, slitting, etc, that happened in his carpeted trailer happened without any blood loss. The very next day, this guy leaves for his family's cabin 100 miles away, but decides not to bring the woman's car key, bones, teeth, cell phone, camera, etc. to dispose of far away because he knows he's loved by the Manitowoc police department and they will never suspect him and search his property.

Jeanine Pirro, a former prosecutor, had concluded on her TV show this week that Avery was guilty of the murder. She had discredited all the Defense questioning of missing blood and lack of DNA evidence from the RAV4 keys by speculating Avery learned of the DNA destroying ability of bleach from his prior years of incarceration.

That said, I still feel for the nephew. After all was said and done, he may have very well been an accomplice to the murder. Best I can tell though, the evidence certainly did not prove it beyond a shadow of doubt to warrant a conviction.

Last edited:
The test was also rushed and they didn't test the vile to see if that would test positive

I was and Industrial Hygienist for many years and took many air samples and have dealt with None detected many times. It does not necessarily mean the substance is not there. The FBI not finding EDTA does not mean it was not there.

1. It could mean it was not there, or
2. It could mean the substance was there, but below the detection limit for the test conducted. We never learned what that detection limit was in the documentary, nor anything else about the test. The defense should have had ample time to take the blood in question to another lab, and see if they could develop a reliable test protocol.
3. It could also mean the FBI test was just not a valid or reliable test. This should have been verified through another qualified testing lab.

There is no way those EDTA test results should have been admitted in court.

I can tell you most vehemently that this was a comprehensively deliberated case and each and every member of the jury carefully and thoroughly examined all of the factors.The jury came from all walks of life but certainly had a uniformly high level of commitment to serving the judicial process with integrity and to decide the case upon the evidence presented.

You really believe this? There was at least one juror(who did leave the case early) who said this wasn't true.

He might have been the murderer, but the reasonable doubt was so loud here, there was no way a jury should have convicted him. And convicting 2 people for the same crime, one of them a minor with low IQ, with different prosecution stories for what happened, and you think this is a case that had integrity? WOW.

You really believe this? There was at least one juror(who did leave the case early) who said this wasn't true.

He might have been the murderer, but the reasonable doubt was so loud here, there was no way a jury should have convicted him. And convicting 2 people for the same crime, one of them a minor with low IQ, with different prosecution stories for what happened, and you think this is a case that had integrity? WOW.

?????? - these comments were not about the show - they were about a separate case - unrelated to the show - yes, I believe what I said - but it had to do with a non-murder case were I served on the jury.

?????? - these comments were not about the show - they were about a separate case - unrelated to the show - yes, I believe what I said - but it had to do with a non-murder case were I served on the jury.

My apologies then, thought you were talking about the documentary.

I haven’t seen the series, but now I’m going to have to watch it. I want to go in with an open mind, but one thing that bothers me is that if this is a conspiracy by the police, then who killed the girl and how did the car get there? The police? If not them, then the police just came across a murder scene somewhere else, concocted this frame up and decided to move the car to the Avery property? I do know that Avery was going to receive millions, but would the police murder this girl just to set this guy up?

I finished the series tonight and just read through this thread which I have been avoiding. I thought there was reasonable doubt with regard to Avery. While I don't think he was the sharpest guy, the keys discovery and the lack of any other DNA on the keys really bothered me. If he committed the crime, you mean to tell me he could not have done a better job of making those keys disappear on that huge property. I though Brandon's case was a tragedy and his initial attorney was a conspiring dope. Watching the investigator cry on the stand about the blue ribbons was disgusting. Hard to believe he could not get a new trial based on the shortcomings of his representation.

I haven’t seen the series, but now I’m going to have to watch it. I want to go in with an open mind, but one thing that bothers me is that if this is a conspiracy by the police, then who killed the girl and how did the car get there? The police? If not them, then the police just came across a murder scene somewhere else, concocted this frame up and decided to move the car to the Avery property? I do know that Avery was going to receive millions, but would the police murder this girl just to set this guy up?
She could have killed herself. The video of her talking about "if I should die, remember me as happy" looks like a cry for help. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the officer who mysteriously radioed in the car's plates two days before it was found actually discovered her body, disfigured it to hide the actual cause of death, and planted it on the junkyard. Later, he also happened to be a part of the investigation that "found" the shell casing and car key.

Reactions: RUz91
I have had some experience with law enforcement, thankfully not anything like this case. My strong opinion is you are screwed if #1) The police believe you did it; or #2) You are against a corrupt cop or a cop who has embellished the facts. Our system, as it is currently implemented, gives you 0 chance of a fair hearing.

There are way more honest cops and prosecutors, than corrupt ones. But none of them will ever turn on their brothers. None.

Just finished the show and my feeling is they did do it but "help" from local law enforcement was needed for a conviction. In the end this is a TV show and editing has a lot to do with how most of us feel.

Again, maybe Avery killed her but if he did, it wasn't in the garage. No DNA evidence at all. They convicted the nephew saying she was killed in the bedroom, no dna evidence there either.

How does one DA convict two different people of the same crime stating different versions of how and where a victim was killed? Is the purpose to find the guilty party or get a conviction of whoever in what ever way works?

"If the police wanted to plant evidence to frame him, surely they could have done better than hypothesized and planted much more solid evidence and done it sooner."

If Avery wanted to cover up his crime, surely he could have come up with a better way to despise of the body than leaving burnt bones in his front yard and a car sitting in his salvage yard. Who could possibly be brilliant enough to shoot someone and leave no DNA evidence anywhere but stupid enough to not figure out a better solution for a body and a car than his own backyard? Especially in a rural area where a car and body could be burned and not found for twenty years?

But if there is a conspiracy, what better way to get a conviction than to have all the evidence appear right in front of the guys freackin house?

"The man had a fair trial of his peers."
Oh yeah, real fair.

Bottom line is you would be saying the same things about the first crime he didn't commit. Too much coincidence here on all the suspicious evidence to not have substantial doubts about what actually happened to that poor girl.

Supposedly UCLA has a much more reliable test for blood to determine if that extra substance is present. If they do and it comes back positive then I'll be satisfied they got the right guy. Until then, who really knows.

...and Avery had a car crusher. Why wouldn't he have crushed it rather than leave in in his wreckage yard? Amazingly there are acres of cars and the searcher who found it does so in the first hour? Also of interest, this woman was the ONLY one provided a camera in the search group. Lastly, the cop who called in to the dispatcher to ID the plate did so NEVER seeing the car!

the real scary part of our justice system, anywhere and not just Wisconsin, is that prosecutors and law enforcement get rewarded by convictions largely, not dispensation of justice...

my take on the cop calling in the plate was that he actually DID find the car....defense was trying to show he called in the plate and planted the car on the property, then way later planted the key....Cops call in plates of cars they pull over, stop, see on the road, etc. He was caught in a lie he said the dispatcher told him the plate when it was he who did. A ton of shady ass police work. The Dassey case is a bigger joke. Talk about feeding the kid all the details. Clear as day. I work for the court system, too fwiw

...and Avery had a car crusher. Why wouldn't he have crushed it rather than leave in in his wreckage yard? Amazingly there are acres of cars and the searcher who found it does so in the first hour? Also of interest, this woman was the ONLY one provided a camera in the search group. Lastly, the cop who called in to the dispatcher to ID the plate did so NEVER seeing the car!

After watching the entire series I walk away thinking he was framed for something he may have committed. Reasonable doubt was in abundance in this case. Consider ALL the key evidence was found by the same two guys from his previous false conviction. And it was only found after multiple previous searches. The same guys from Manitowoc county who were specifically ordered NOT to be involved in the investigation. That, the evidence test results that make no sense or were potentially corrupted, the lack of evidence where you would most expect it, the obvious lie about finding the car before it was officially found and the travesty of Brendan's defense makes this a no brainer. And that guy Katchinsky should be locked up. What a creep.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
I watched the series, and while I'm not sure that he is INNOCENT, I do believe there was reasonable doubt. None of HER DNA on her own car keys was really odd. The presumed location of the murder (inside trailer), showed no blood evidence, NONE. The guy didn't strike me as a neat freak; sterilizing a crime scene seems outside his skillset.

The nephew, I feel was railroaded. No part of that interview (set up by his dismissed "attorney"), should have been considered.

Reactions: RU5781
I watched the series, and while I'm not sure that he is INNOCENT, I do believe there was reasonable doubt. None of HER DNA on her own car keys was really odd. The presumed location of the murder (inside trailer), showed no blood evidence, NONE. The guy didn't strike me as a neat freak; sterilizing a crime scene seems outside his skillset.

The nephew, I feel was railroaded. No part of that interview (set up by his dismissed "attorney"), should have been considered.

Agree 100%.

Weird case. That sheriff dept's behavior is bizarre. I think bones in the fire pit, barrel and quarry is really weird. I'm thinking Dassey did it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT