ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Marvin Harrison Jr. Offered $25M to stay a Buckeye

I keep saying the top layer of CFB will eventually be NFL 2.0
Instead of colleges with football teams attached we have football teams with colleges attached.
A city like Green Bay can own a team and soon it will be colleges

Good, it'll keep these kids in college longer making the game better and more entertaining

Not every kid is getting that money, only the elite ones. Buckeye has championship aspirations next year and realizes the tradeoff of paying that $ for a natty is worth it

Reactions: jsol_05
If college players are making $25 million a season I can’t wait for the next NFL collective bargaining discussion.

Have a feeling the NFL owners will try to be the adults in the room in order to head off any additional market pressure on their part- and they have the clout ($$$) to influence this outcome.

Didn't they just lose to MSU with the guy---what a waste of that $ but I believe the number is BS.

I read a lot of NFL Draft stuff, and I am increasingly amazed at the number of mocks that have Harrison at pick 2 or 3.

That isn’t to say that he is not an excellent WR with a chance to be elite in the NFL.

However, the difference in impact between elite and really good is less at WR than it is as most positions. In addition, other positions like QB, OL and Edge can have a big impact based solely on their own talent and play, while a WR requires a team to have a decent QB and OL before they can take advantage of the WR’s skills.

Does Ohio State have a cancer research center? Send the money there ffs.
I have to admit, the idea that this kind of money could be handed to a 22-year-old, whose prime accomplishment is being good at football, is pretty messed up.

Complete conjecture at this point.

Buckeyes' star "allegedly" has massive NIL offers to inspire his return to school

According to Christian Williams of Footballguys, Ohio State star wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. and running back TreVeyon Henderson - who announced a return to the Buckeyes already - have been offered NIL deals that mirror the compensation of what a first-round NFL Draft pick could earn, in hopes of inspiring a return to Columbus next season.

Harrison is projected to go as high as No. 2 in the NFL Draft, so that financial figure could be close to $25 million, per Sports Illustrated's Andrew Brandt.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Harrison, Jr. is a lock to be a top 5 pick in the 2024 NFL draft. There is no way he is going back to OSU. I don’t believe the reported NIL deal and it doesn’t make sense for him to continue his college career.

You can save $25 million and still lose to Michigan.
Or you can spend it and try to win a national championship, and have that flag fly forever and make that seem like a drop in the bucket

I highly doubt he’s getting 25 million a year, that seems a bit much, but if Saban can get 12 million in a year, I don’t get what the issue is with paying the kids who are actually playing

Or you can spend it and try to win a national championship, and have that flag fly forever and make that seem like a drop in the bucket

I highly doubt he’s getting 25 million a year, that seems a bit much, but if Saban can get 12 million in a year, I don’t get what the issue is with paying the kids who are actually playing

$25 million is larger than any single year in a 1st NFL contract, even for a talent like Harrison Jr. In fact, it is the rare 1st contract that totals $25 mil. though they do exist.

I have to admit, the idea that this kind of money could be handed to a 22-year-old, whose prime accomplishment is being good at football, is pretty messed up.
At some point it becomes beyond obscene to lavish that kind of money on athletes when there are so many more worthy causes. This is a university.

$25 million is larger than any single year in a 1st NFL contract, even for a talent like Harrison Jr. In fact, it is the rare 1st contract that totals $25 mil. though they do exist.
Yep, that’s why I’m doubting that it’s that high. 25 million for one year, even for a talent like Harrison, seems a bit much.

Reactions: BossNJ
At some point it becomes beyond obscene to lavish that kind of money on athletes when there are so many more worthy causes. This is a university.

Perhaps. What level isn't obscene?

Is $8m obscene? The amount people want the University to pay the athletes coach.

Note - the $25m isn't money directly from the school funds. It may or not be available for other charitable resources depending upon the source.

I don't believe the 25 mil, but I still remember posters laughing at me when I said college kids would be offered more than they make on rookie deals in the NFL.

I don't have an issue with them getting theirs, but there's a point where you have to make rational decisions about what this is getting you in the long run. For example, you can throw out a bunch of NIL to returning players, go undefeated and still get left out of the college football playoff. Now, that's not likely, but it could happen. 😎

I don't have an issue with them getting theirs, but there's a point where you have to make rational decisions about what this is getting you in the long run. For example, you can throw out a bunch of NIL to returning players, go undefeated and still get left out of the college football playoff. Now, that's not likely, but it could happen. 😎
Though regulation is needed in both NIL and the portal, these things usually even themselves out.

Successful individuals and businesses don’t get that way by continually making bad financial decisions.

We’re going to start to see more of an NFL style structure, where teams were a lot certain amount for different position groups.

Obviously, exceptions will be made for players, like Harrison caliber, but buy and large, the cap structure will vary across-the-board per team depending on need, talent and position.

If I'm Harrison I wanna play in the NFL next year. The extra cash is nice, but I wanna play in The League.

Reactions: Rokodesh
I see what you did there. Well played, Sir.

Does Ohio State have a cancer research center? Send the money there ffs.
Robert Smith, a very good RB at Ohio State who played in the NFL, was also a Pre Med student. He quit the team because the coaches at the time said he was taking his education too seriously and ordered him to miss classes to attend team meetings and practices. I think that shows where the priorities lie.

Reactions: brgRC90
They are going to pay a WR 25 mil but don't even know who their QB is- that number has to be completely wrong.

I read a lot of NFL Draft stuff, and I am increasingly amazed at the number of mocks that have Harrison at pick 2 or 3.

That isn’t to say that he is not an excellent WR with a chance to be elite in the NFL.

However, the difference in impact between elite and really good is less at WR than it is as most positions. In addition, other positions like QB, OL and Edge can have a big impact based solely on their own talent and play, while a WR requires a team to have a decent QB and OL before they can take advantage of the WR’s skills.
His name gets him into the top 5. He’s a stud and no one wants to pass on him and his career turns out like his dad’s.

This will sound crazy, but that's not worth it if he'd really be the 2nd pick. Get to that 2nd NFL contract ASAP to make your BIG money.
That's crazy.. it is worth it.. unless he gets injured.. and that is more likely in the NFL than in college.

Agreed. And have others have said, there's already a professional league that I could watch, with a higher quality product, if that's what I was interested in.

This is why I have never and will never donate a dime to further any university team's athletic programs. There are more appropriate, worthy and needy causes that I choose to direct some of my disposable income to.

I realize that I am in the minority on this...

Reactions: CJ1987 and brgRC90
His name gets him into the top 5. He’s a stud and no one wants to pass on him and his career turns out like his dad’s.
Still not worth it. There are a lot of very good receivers out there. It isn’t worth using a top pick on a guy who is incrementally better.

Top WR contracts this year on an annual basis:

Tyreek Hill, 4 years $120 million ($30 million average)
Davante Adams, 5 years $140 million ($28 million average)
Cooper Kupp, 3 years, $80.1 million ($26.7)
AJ Brown, 4 years, $100 million ($25 million)
Stefon Diggs and DK Metcalf, 3 years, $72 million ($24 million)

Rookie contracts are for four years with a team option to extend it to five seasons for first round picks. Figure on contracts 5-6 years from now being larger than those numbers, too.

The #2 pick last season (CJ Stroud) signed a rookie deal worth a guaranteed $36,279,243. He got a signing bonus of $23,384,904. So if the $25 million is accurate, he'd be getting roughly the same amount this year to stay in college vs. go pro. But he'd be one year closer to that bigger second contract.

The #6 pick got a deal worth $28 million. The #12 pick got a deal worth $17.8 million. The curve is pretty steep after the first five picks.

I would say if Harrison is a top 3 pick this year but falls to #6 or later next year, he would end up costing himself money in the long run. His first deal could be worth $8-10 million less if he does not remain a top 3 pick (lots of mock drafts show him going to Arizona at #3), and he would have to wait an extra year to get to a potential BIG contract.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT