ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Marvin Harrison Jr. Offered $25M to stay a Buckeye

I was in the band when this commercial was filmed, but couldn't make it that day - so I'm not stuffing my face forever on the internet.

I was in the band when this commercial was filmed, but couldn't make it that day - so I'm not stuffing my face forever on the internet.
What type of name-image-likeness payments did your band mates receive?

Here is a longer version. Title says 1985 but commenters disputed this and zeroed in on 1990.

Perhaps. What level isn't obscene?

Is $8m obscene? The amount people want the University to pay the athletes coach.

Note - the $25m isn't money directly from the school funds. It may or not be available for other charitable resources depending upon the source.
Yes $8 million for the coach is obscene. These are universities. Their primary missions are to educate and further research. Shame on the donors.

Yes $8 million for the coach is obscene. These are universities. Their primary missions are to educate and further research. Shame on the donors.
they should be able to their money anyway they want.

Reactions: TRU2RU
What type of name-image-likeness payments did your band mates receive?

Here is a longer version. Title says 1985 but commenters disputed this and zeroed in on 1990.

That is definitely from the 1990-91 season as some of those band members graduated in 1990, and we did not have those pep band sweaters before that season. They were paid with free food inside that you can see them eating in the actual commercial. A couple of my roommates and a lot of my band fraternity brothers were there. Thanks for sharing it!

If the 25 million is a real offer I think you take it and bank it. That's life changing money for multiple generations. When you add in Seniors money, you have the flexibility to do what makes you happiest. You have to make sure it's a solid offer though.

That is definitely from the 1990-91 season as some of those band members graduated in 1990, and we did not have those pep band sweaters before that season. They were paid with free food inside that you can see them eating in the actual commercial. A couple of my roommates and a lot of my band fraternity brothers were there. Thanks for sharing it!
A few weeks ago, a member of Wisconsin's band signed an NIL deal with a Midwestern convenience store chain. Not sure if he is paid in cash or gets free products from the stores.

Bucknell's mascot has an NIL deal with a local bank.

If the 25 million is a real offer I think you take it and bank it. That's life changing money for multiple generations. When you add in Seniors money, you have the flexibility to do what makes you happiest. You have to make sure it's a solid offer though.

Think the article was confusing. My interpretation from the tweet was that $9M was on the table from NIL to stay another year which would match his projected Year 1 Rookie contract. Regardless - it's still life changing money for and overwhelming majority of people.

I am glad this type of thing is making its way to social media..real or not

This will open up more eyes to how obscene the NIL wild Wild West is now n its current form. Get more eyeballs on this and it will change which is what we need.

What a headache

"Marvin, just tell me what it will take to keep you here." "25m" "25 million dollars? Done." "Wow dude! but I meant 25 McD big macs."

Top WR contracts this year on an annual basis:

Tyreek Hill, 4 years $120 million ($30 million average)
Davante Adams, 5 years $140 million ($28 million average)
Cooper Kupp, 3 years, $80.1 million ($26.7)
AJ Brown, 4 years, $100 million ($25 million)
Stefon Diggs and DK Metcalf, 3 years, $72 million ($24 million)

Rookie contracts are for four years with a team option to extend it to five seasons for first round picks. Figure on contracts 5-6 years from now being larger than those numbers, too.

The #2 pick last season (CJ Stroud) signed a rookie deal worth a guaranteed $36,279,243. He got a signing bonus of $23,384,904. So if the $25 million is accurate, he'd be getting roughly the same amount this year to stay in college vs. go pro. But he'd be one year closer to that bigger second contract.

The #6 pick got a deal worth $28 million. The #12 pick got a deal worth $17.8 million. The curve is pretty steep after the first five picks.

I would say if Harrison is a top 3 pick this year but falls to #6 or later next year, he would end up costing himself money in the long run. His first deal could be worth $8-10 million less if he does not remain a top 3 pick (lots of mock drafts show him going to Arizona at #3), and he would have to wait an extra year to get to a potential BIG contract.

And CJ stroud is looking like he’ll be doing a deal for ~60 mil/year in a few years. Plus endorsements.

NCAA missed a chance to put structure to NIL , but they choose to fight it. Could have guidelines like a max per player $100,000 per year and a max pool per team such as $3 million for football. And then do an annual adjustment . That probably had some potential when it was 0 before. I would think GEO in his days might have been happy at $100,000 per year at that time. He helped move the whole process, but never benefited from it.

NCAA missed a chance to put structure to NIL , but they choose to fight it. Could have guidelines like a max per player $100,000 per year and a max pool per team such as $3 million for football. And then do an annual adjustment . That probably had some potential when it was 0 before. I would think GEO in his days might have been happy at $100,000 per year at that time. He helped move the whole process, but never benefited from inow.

That would basically guarantee elite basketball recruits go G League Elite or OTE.

Doubtful Dylan or Ace is here under such a situation.

Or teams like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas would just go back to arranging money in excess the $100,000 and teams like Rutgers can't even get in the door with elite recruits.

Is Dylan taking over 90% paycut to attend Rutgers?

They are going to pay a WR 25 mil but don't even know who their QB is- that number has to be completely wrong.
Well, apparently it's only $1M to $2M for a QB through the transfer portal. So Harrison, who is excellent, is somehow worth 12X this...

Reactions: Plum Street
Fun Harrison family stat : Marvin Harrison sr, was 4-0 against Rutgers, while at Syracuse . Harrison jr. Was 3-0. Making the Harrison’s 7-0 against Rutgers.
Has there been a more successful father-son combo against us ?

I saw one mock draft that had Harrison going #1 in the upcoming draft.
Not very often are wide receivers projected to go #1 in an NFL draft.

Fun Harrison family stat : Marvin Harrison sr, was 4-0 against Rutgers, while at Syracuse . Harrison jr. Was 3-0. Making the Harrison’s 7-0 against Rutgers.
Has there been a more successful father-son combo against us ?
Where does Ricky Santos' kids play?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT