ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Mets hire Mickey Callaway as MGR, per multiple reports

Interesting that this word gets out right after the Red Sox announce signing of Alex Cora. I wonder if he was also the Mets first choice.

Callaway had reportedly been receiving heavy interest from the Phillies as well.

Don't know much about the guy and was not crazy about the list of candidates. Thought Bob Geren might have been worth an interview but guess not.

If the Mets future is built on guys like Harvey, Noah, Mars, Wheeler it makes sense to get best pitching coach available, which is what they did. Years under Francona is not so bad either. Better than another re-tread IMO.

If the Mets future is built on guys like Harvey, Noah, Mars, Wheeler it makes sense to get best pitching coach available, which is what they did. Years under Francona is not so bad either. Better than another re-tread IMO.

Except that Harvey will probably never be the same and Syndergaard is, IMO, questionable.

The thing that I HATE about Alderson and the Mets front office is this running expectation they have that currently long-term DL'd guys will be back at 100%, ergo they don't represent a position of need. It's stupid.

Except that Harvey will probably never be the same and Syndergaard is, IMO, questionable.

The thing that I HATE about Alderson and the Mets front office is this running expectation they have that currently long-term DL'd guys will be back at 100%, ergo they don't represent a position of need. It's stupid.
Does this mean David Wright will not be back and on the All Star team next year?
Will Cespedes play more than 100 games next year (not including rounds of golf)?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
It could've been a hell of a lot worse: Geren, Hale, etc. Surprisingly an underrated pick since under Francona, Cleveland has had the 4th best ERA in MLB. Maybe this is what DeGrom, Syndergaard, Harvey, Matz, Lugo, and the others needed. Will be even better if they get brand new pitching, hitting, and bench coaches as well.

Never heard of him but if he's a solid pitching coach the NY Mets is the team for him.

Will be even better if they get brand new pitching, hitting, and bench coaches as well.
You will get part of your wish. It's already been announced that Warthen will not be back.

Long and his assistant Roessler are expected back. However, after being passed over, Long may choose to look elsewhere. Would not be surprised if Long leaves and Roessler is promoted.

No announcement has been made on Scott, but he has been given permission to interview elsewhere. I would not advise him to sign any long term leases.

Maybe a new way to look at the way pitchers do things may make some difference.

They need someone who can handle the s-show that is the NYC media, as well as the pitching staff. This guy seems like a neophyte in that regard.

It will be interesting to see how he responds to the inevitable knucklehead moves by Cepedes and Harvey.

Why not Viola if looking for a pitching coach?

AL coach?

No managerial experience?

Odd choice.

Do like that he does not appear to be a Sandy yes man.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly didn't Alderson go this route once before in San Diego with Bud Black?

If I recall correctly didn't Alderson go this route once before in San Diego with Bud Black?
Sort of. Alderson was the Padres' CEO at the time. Kevin Towers was the GM. Not sure how actively involved Alderson was in the hiring decision.

Why not Viola if looking for a pitching coach?

AL coach?

No managerial experience?

Odd choice.

Do like that he does not appear to be a Sandy yes man.
To promote a minor league pitching coach like Viola to major league manager would be unusual to say the least. The real question is whether Viola is considered for the Mets pitching coach job.

I would like to see Frank V. get a shot with the big club. Question is, does his philosophy regarding pitchers mesh with the new mgr?

I would think he should be. These kids came up healthy at least.It's when they got here that things went terribly wrong!!!!

Great Hire by the Mets.

I like the "out of the box" thinking and not hiring some retread like Acta.

Why I like it:

- He will show tough love to the staff and mature them.
- He has proven track record with vastly improving Cleveland's staff
- Love the pedigree with Francona
- He KNOWS how to handle a pitching staff
- Pitching Staff will automatically respect him

All Mets need to do is surround him with a qualified Bench Coach.

Interesting that this word gets out right after the Red Sox announce signing of Alex Cora. I wonder if he was also the Mets first choice.

Callaway had reportedly been receiving heavy interest from the Phillies as well.

Many Phillies rumors about him. Might have developed those young crappy pitchers the Phils have.

My brother works for the Port .St. Lucie Mets and he says they have nothing down there except Tebow and he is obviously a marketing ploy .Mets window of opportunity may have opened and closed quickly.I wish Mickey luck.

My brother works for the Port .St. Lucie Mets and he says they have nothing down there except Tebow and he is obviously a marketing ploy .Mets window of opportunity may have opened and closed quickly.I wish Mickey luck.

They had Peter Alonso. They have Justin Dunn and a bunch of arms from the trades at the end nd of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT