ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Irish Americans — Murphys vs Guinness

Guinness marketing is absolutely brilliant. There’s zero doubt. And it’s very good. Just not as good as Murphys

According to you. For me, it’s Guinness all the way. Guinness is absolutely fantastic.
At the risk of insulting you lads, I'm going to throw a third one into the mix....I might actually prefer Beamish to both Murphy's and Guinness. I've drunk quite many of all three, and they're all kind of neck and neck to me. I think Murphy's and Beamish have a bit more creamier head and a slightly richer flavor. Due to wider availability, I drink more Guinness and it doesn't disappoint.

Reactions: Randal7
@m1ipabrams covered what many don’t know with regard to the alcohol content.

And someone else got it right with regard to geography as it pertains to Murphy’s.

My cousin’s pub in Mayo certainly knows how to pull a pint.

I like them both and consider Murphy’s more of a milkshake. Little lighter, easier to go down.

And sorry, @RUnTeX but Beamish is evil (how many get this reference?). I don’t think it’s good at all.👎

Don’t do the Black and Tan regardless whether you’re around real Irish or not. Instead get a Half and Half (Guinness and Harp) instead. Much more Irish anyway.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
the risk of insulting you lads, I'm going to throw a third one into the mix....I might actually prefer Beamish to both Murphy's and Guinness. I've drunk quite many of all three, and they're all kind of neck and neck to me. I think Murphy's and Beamish have a bit more creamier head and a slightly richer flavor. Due to wider availability, I drink more Guinness and itnek doesn't disappoint.
Beamish is made by Heineken

At the risk of insulting you lads, I'm going to throw a third one into the mix....I might actually prefer Beamish to both Murphy's and Guinness. I've drunk quite many of all three, and they're all kind of neck and neck to me. I think Murphy's and Beamish have a bit more creamier head and a slightly richer flavor. Due to wider availability, I drink more Guinness and it doesn't disappoint.

I find most beers kinda gross and like (if in Irish pub) Bulmers/Magners cider (Heineken owned).
Not very keto friendly so I rarely have it

Killian’s Red
That was my go-to when I was 21 until a guy working in the beer aisle at the store told me I should try Sam Adams Irish Red instead, and since then I never had a Killian's again. As was already mentioned, it's made by Coors, but either way there are so many better Irish reds out there. In fact, Killian's technically isn't even actually an Irish red, it's an amber lager.

Thants actually Coors. I like the Irish Reds but really the answer is really Jameson. And if any idiot says Proper #12 they need to be shot ok site
Eh I'm no expert but in my opinion Jameson is to Irish whiskey what Bud Light is to beer. I much prefer Green Spot, Redbreast 12, or when I want some peatiness-Connemara.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
I will try this. I haven’t had one yet! Will report back

@m1ipabrams covered what many don’t know with regard to the alcohol content.

And someone else got it right with regard to geography as it pertains to Murphy’s.

My cousin’s pub in Mayo certainly knows how to pull a pint.

I like them both and consider Murphy’s more of a milkshake. Little lighter, easier to go down.

And sorry, @RUnTeX but Beamish is evil (how many get this reference?). I don’t think it’s good at all.👎

Don’t do the Black and Tan regardless whether you’re around real Irish or not. Instead get a Half and Half (Guinness and Harp) instead. Much more Irish anyway.
Milkshake! Yes! That’s exactly right

I prefer Murphys but there is definitely a different taste if you have it in Ireland. It tastes so much better in Ireland. Guinness in Ireland doesn't seem to have the same aftertaste IMO. Although, I still like Guinness enough to order it over most beers at a bar. I never see Murhpys at a bar here. some liquor stores have it.

As for "home-court" taste, its the same thing with Heineken in the Netherlands. It tastes like a crisp European lager in NL. But It doesn't travel well and has that skunk flavor here. Amstel (not light) is even better there and Heineken Oud Bruin is off the charts (both not sold here).
Heineken is almost always skunked in the US. Why they've stuck with bottling in green glass is really mind blowing. It should be in brown glass to prevent UV exposure.

Reactions: WhiteBus
We have lots of irish heritage it seems as the question was posed to Irish Americans.
I like Guinness .

That was my go-to when I was 21 until a guy working in the beer aisle at the store told me I should try Sam Adams Irish Red instead, and since then I never had a Killian's again. As was already mentioned, it's made by Coors, but either way there are so many better Irish reds out there. In fact, Killian's technically isn't even actually an Irish red, it's an amber lager.

Eh I'm no expert but in my opinion Jameson is to Irish whiskey what Bud Light is to beer. I much prefer Green Spot, Redbreast 12, or when I want some peatiness-Connemara.
It was a joke that whiskey is always the better than beer. I actually am a bourbon guy. Jameson is like Jack. The cheap option but doesn't suck. If you got the cash for along those bottles and they are on your bar congrats.

For my Irish American beer lovers. I’ve got a statement — Murphys is superior to Guinness.

I’ve done the empirical work. In Ireland again and it’s not close. Blinded taste test, meal taste test, oscillating taste tests… they all have lead to the same conclusion. I’ve even given Guinness phantom points for “global appeal”, understanding that my palate is unique to me…

…And it’s still not close.

Guinness is creamy and watery on the front end, a touch bitter on the back. The first sip is strong, but the profile degrades over the pint.

Murphys is a touch forward sweet, with a velvety texture and delivers coffee notes on the back end. Most importantly, the first taste is as consistent and good as the last one. It’s a solid profile throughout the pint.

I cannot understand how Guinness has grown to dominate the stout market when Murphys is not only an equal competitor, but a superior one!

I consider this a topic of great importance because we don’t deserve second class beer in America. We deserve the best. And by and large we have no access to Murphys and I think that’s just an absolute travesty. Something needs to be done. And it starts with establishing, once and for all, that Murphys is better than Guinness.

What say you all?!
The only thing i will say about this is if doing this test Physically in Ireland vs, in the USA make a big difference. The quality of Guiness stateside is far less superior to what you get in Ireland. Same with Murphy's

The only thing i will say about this is if doing this test Physically in Ireland vs, in the USA make a big difference. The quality of Guiness stateside is far less superior to what you get in Ireland. Same with Murphy's
Yes. Agreed. They are both another level in Ireland, which is where I’m doing it

Was in in a pub in Swords/Malahide this March with a business colleague. Took me about 4 pints/attempts to Split the G appropriately. It was Guiness, but Murphy's or Beamish would have done just fine for me as well.

MS Co-pilot suggests this: (looks like Tribeca is it for on-site.. but no luck on other links provided... which makes me doubt the map thing as well.. or maybe it is only draught in Manhattan)

You can find Murphy’s Irish Stout in the USA through the following options:

1. Murphy’s Map: Use the Murphy’s Map to locate stores that carry Murphy’s Stout near you.
  2. BeerMenus: Check out bars, beer stores, and restaurants selling Murphy’s Irish Stout on BeerMenus.
  3. Delivery Services: Order online for delivery or takeout from local favorite restaurants, liquor stores, grocery stores, and laundromats using delivery.com.

Last edited:
IMO…I think the canned Murphy’s (that you can easily get here) tastes fine.

Reactions: RUnTeX
MS Co-pilot suggests this: (looks like Tribeca is it for on-site.. but no luck on other links provided... which makes me doubt the map thing as well.. or maybe it is only draught in Manhattan)

You can find Murphy’s Irish Stout in the USA through the following options:

1. Murphy’s Map: Use the Murphy’s Map to locate stores that carry Murphy’s Stout near you.
  2. BeerMenus: Check out bars, beer stores, and restaurants selling Murphy’s Irish Stout on BeerMenus.
  3. Delivery Services: Order online for delivery or takeout from local favorite restaurants, liquor stores, grocery stores, and laundromats using delivery.com.
These sites where they say the beer is sold are usually not accurate. Most use data from the wholesaler on who has purchased the product over an extended period of time like a year+.
Beer Menus is a little better as it gives a date when the stores menu was last BY THE STORE OWNER which is much more accurate. However, not many stores use it, sadly.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Heineken is almost always skunked in the US. Why they've stuck with bottling in green glass is really mind blowing. It should be in brown glass to prevent UV exposure.
I haven't had Heineken in ages, but I'm pretty sure every bottle I've had tasted the same, which is why I'm pretty sure the flavor is intentional and isn't an occasional accident of light exposure through green glass.

It was a joke that whiskey is always the better than beer. I actually am a bourbon guy. Jameson is like Jack. The cheap option but doesn't suck. If you got the cash for along those bottles and they are on your bar congrats.
Ah sorry, went over my head. As for the more expensive bottles, it's maybe only once a month that I drink something stronger than beer, and when I do it's usually a scotch or Irish whiskey. Since I only buy one or two bottles a year, I make it a good one. If I were drinking it more often, I'd have to go with more affordable options.

Reactions: matty666
I haven't had Heineken in ages, but I'm pretty sure every bottle I've had tasted the same, which is why I'm pretty sure the flavor is intentional and isn't an occasional accident of light exposure through green glass.

Ah sorry, went over my head. As for the more expensive bottles, it's maybe only once a month that I drink something stronger than beer, and when I do it's usually a scotch or Irish whiskey. Since I only buy one or two bottles a year, I make it a good one. If I were drinking it more often, I'd have to go with more affordable options.
Still think top 5 beers in my life has a fresh-brewed Heineken at the pub at the top of the Amsterdam brewery whose tap man was dead ringer for a white-haired Paul Newman. Sadly, my tour group was among teh last to make it to pub and we got booted after 1 round. That's a crime!

And since we started talking dark beers.. there was a pub in Seaside Heights.. Dutch Mill Inn.. that on Wednesday's, in off-season at least.. had dollar Heineken Dark draughts until 11PM or something. This was in the 80s. Damn good beer. Damn good pub... with damn good local bands. Hot Damn! m Local talent was pretty good too.. and since they were there rather than one of the disco-come-guido or metal spots.. they had good taste.

Last edited:
I was in Ireland last month and did the Guinness Experience in Dublin. The glass I had had a creamier head than those poured in the US I head but the whole glass only tasted somewhat better than here in the US. Then went down to Kilkenny on the train to do the Smithwicks version (it's more low key than the Guinness Experience, but a person-guided tour). That made me a convert to Smithwick's Red Ale, which I had years ago and I now like Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale, which I've been told you can't buy in the US, true?. I'll pick up the Red in the future and have to check out Murphys.

Still think top 5 beers in my life has a fresh-brewed Heineken at the pub at the top of the Amsterdam brewery whose tap man was dead ringer for a white-haired Paul Newman. Sadly, my tour group was among teh last to make it to pub and we got booted after 1 round. That's a crime!

And since we started talking dark beers.. there was a pub in Seaside Heights.. Dutch Mill Inn.. that on Wednesday's, in off-season at least.. had dollar Heineken Dark draughts until 11PM or something. This was in the 80s. Damn good beer. Damn good pub... with damn good local bands. Hot Damn! m Local talent was pretty good too.. and since they were there rather than one of the disco-come-guido or metal spots.. they had good taste.
Holland Heineken is awesome. Agreed. They also have “Heineken Xtra Cold” on tap… which is also delightful

I was in Ireland last month and did the Guinness Experience in Dublin. The glass I had had a creamier head than those poured in the US I head but the whole glass only tasted somewhat better than here in the US. Then went down to Kilkenny on the train to do the Smithwicks version (it's more low key than the Guinness Experience, but a person-guided tour). That made me a convert to Smithwick's Red Ale, which I had years ago and I now like Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale, which I've been told you can't buy in the US, true?. I'll pick up the Red in the future and have to check out Murphys.
The Guinness Experience was really well done. We were there in late may. Didn't make it to Kilkenny, but Smithwicks Red Ale was my go to beer in the pubs while in Ireland. While Guinness is fine, I find I don't love the smoother mouth feel of the nitro.

Heineken's skunkyness is 100% due to the bottle. Try their cans, or on tap, not an issue.

According to a Facebook post in my feed, a drunk could be sent home in a basket. Supposedly that is the source of term "basket case."

EpxHGpO.jpeg

Kilkenny is my favorite beer they make. I've seen it on tap at a handful of Irish pubs, but it isn't easy to find. You'll never see it at one of those wannabe Irish pubs like Blackthorn or Shannon Rose, seems like only authentic Irish pubs get it. If you see Kilkenny on tap and HP sauce, you know you're in a legit Irish pub. I did see 4-packs of it at a gas station in Quebec a couple months ago though, so hopefully it'll be available in the US soon.

The first time I went to Ireland, I was only there a few days and traveled with only a carry-on, but on my flight home I went through the hassle of checking my bag just so I could come home with a bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. A week or two later, it was available in the US and easily found in stores. Another beer I like of theirs is Dublin Porter, but I haven't seen that in the US in years. You used to be able to get it in a variety pack, but now that pack only includes Guinness Draught, Smithwicks, and Harp. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember seeing Dublin Porter when I was in Ireland last summer, so maybe they don't make it anymore.

Heineken's skunkyness is 100% due to the bottle. Try their cans, or on tap, not an issue.
Eh I'll just take your word for it rather than buy any more Heineken. I was given a 12-pack of Heineken in exchange for a set of old tires I was trying to get rid of for free. I put the Heinekens in the cooler at my Memorial Day BBQ. I still have 11 bottles left.

Kilkenny is my favorite beer they make. I've seen it on tap at a handful of Irish pubs, but it isn't easy to find. You'll never see it at one of those wannabe Irish pubs like Blackthorn or Shannon Rose, seems like only authentic Irish pubs get it. If you see Kilkenny on tap and HP sauce, you know you're in a legit Irish pub. I did see 4-packs of it at a gas station in Quebec a couple months ago though, so hopefully it'll be available in the US soon.

The first time I went to Ireland, I was only there a few days and traveled with only a carry-on, but on my flight home I went through the hassle of checking my bag just so I could come home with a bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. A week or two later, it was available in the US and easily found in stores. Another beer I like of theirs is Dublin Porter, but I haven't seen that in the US in years. You used to be able to get it in a variety pack, but now that pack only includes Guinness Draught, Smithwicks, and Harp. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember seeing Dublin Porter when I was in Ireland last summer, so maybe they don't make it anymore.

Eh I'll just take your word for it rather than buy any more Heineken. I was given a 12-pack of Heineken in exchange for a set of old tires I was trying to get rid of for free. I put the Heinekens in the cooler at my Memorial Day BBQ. I still have 11 bottles left.
It's 2024, it's time to move away from bottles for beer! As you see most craft beer only comes in cans. Cans protect beer, bottles do not. There is nothing beneficial about beer in bottles. Another thing, throw the Heineken bottles away. If one skunked, they all are skunky.

It's 2024, it's time to move away from bottles for beer! As you see most craft beer only comes in cans. Cans protect beer, bottles do not. There is nothing beneficial about beer in bottles. Another thing, throw the Heineken bottles away. If one skunked, they all are skunky.
My sister got me a map of the US with holes cut out for bottlecaps. My attempt to fill it up with caps corresponding to its location has become impossible. Other than that, cans are indeed much better.

Reactions: Armor and Sword
My sister got me a map of the US with holes cut out for bottlecaps. My attempt to fill it up with caps corresponding to its location has become impossible. Other than that, cans are indeed much better.
Sophomore year I was visiting a friend in one of the river dorms and on her floor was a room with the ceiling covered with beer caps in a spiral design. That was impressive and it looked like a work of art.

Reactions: robcac26

Ha every time I see an Irish pub in my travels (which as the song mentions, is pretty much everywhere), that song comes to mind.
They were at Count Basie this year around St. Patrick’s Day.

Great show. Great craic.☘️

Reactions: robcac26
I don't like beer... rather have a strong mixed drink like LITs or wine if just relaxing.

When I went to Ireland and went to the Guinness factory, I had one there with a meal in their Cafeteria. I finally felt like I really liked a beer. Maybe it was the atmosphere and the awesome Guinness stew, but it was great.

On occasions, I get Guinness off the tap here for nostalgia. It doesn't taste the same but it didn't seem to be far off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT