ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Most popular vehicles by state 2014

Innermind

Junior
Sep 18, 2012
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/the-most-popular-new-vehicle-in-each-state--not-what-you-might-expect-181118005.html

9af75ec0-b92c-11e4-adba-1b11fa674adb_usofvehicles2014v4.jpg

About what I'd expect. The fascination with Honda Accords around here is inexplicable.

Nj, Maryland, Virginia, and California all prefer the Accord. Good company to be in
They are some of the most educated, highest IQ states.

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:
I thought Subaru would have MA, NH, ME.. does have RI and ME in this thing.
It looks like Rhode Island, like Hawaii, favors the Toyota Tacoma.

Subaru Outback is favored in Maine, Colorado and Washington, whereas the Subaru Forester is favored in Connecticut.

Originally posted by RutgersSam:
Nj, Maryland, Virginia, and California all prefer the Accord. Good company to be in
Show your work.

I tried a Camry this time around but my '04 EX accord still remains my best car for its value. Great car. If value is what you look for it is hard to beat.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thought Toyota Tercels would be number 1. See those everywhere in Edison.

Show your work.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

Show your work.
Not sure about IQ, but if "most educated" means % of residents w/ a college degree, then he may be right.

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:
Glad most states prefer american cars. Accords are nice. Would not have guessed that though.
There is not a single state that prefers an american car.

Show your work.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/12712489/6/the-10-dumbest-states-in-america.html

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

Glad most states prefer american cars. Accords are nice. Would not have guessed that though.
NoLondonBroil, you're really hanging on a technicality there. More days than not, your average pickup truck is treated as a car. And the heartland buys more American 'vehicles'. The numbers change every year of course, but the most popular pickup truck is the F-150 and the most popular car is the Camry. Annually, 1.5 F-150s are sold for every 1 Camry.

NoLondonBroil, you're really hanging on a technicality there. More days than not, your average pickup truck is treated as a car. And the heartland buys more American 'vehicles'. The numbers change every year of course, but the most popular pickup truck is the F-150 and the most popular car is the Camry. Annually, 1.5 F-150s are sold for every 1 Camry.

Originally posted by RUSK97:

If you think the difference between a car and a truck is a technicality, I suggest you go down to Texas, find someone driving an F-150, and compliment them on their car. See what happens next.

The fact remains that in every state where the vehicle of choice is not a truck, it is also not an American car. I don't know why that is.

If you think the difference between a car and a truck is a technicality, I suggest you go down to Texas, find someone driving an F-150, and compliment them on their car. See what happens next.

The fact remains that in every state where the vehicle of choice is not a truck, it is also not an American car. I don't know why that is.
Ehhhh...I'll give you that. Americans don't like American cars, just like New Jerseyans don't like New Jersey. No logical explanation, it just is. FWIW, I think the quality gap between domestic and import cars has narrowed greatly. I have a Ford Fusion in the household and it has been more solid and reliable than the Accord it replaced.

Originally posted by RedTeam01:
A few years old, but interesting nonetheless...

This post was edited on 3/2 11:25 PM by RedTeam01
That is really interesting. I have thought about that before too. Dealerships, factories etc. Foreign car, does not have to be so foreign.

I wonder how american my Caddi is by those measures.

Originally posted by RedTeam01:
A few years old, but interesting nonetheless...

This post was edited on 3/2 11:25 PM by RedTeam01
Yup... when dealing with large multi-national automotive corporations and their various parts suppliers, and their numerous R&D and engineering facilities, it's difficult to label vehicles as domestic vs foreign.

As an example, the Hyundai/Kia Engineering and Design Center, as well as the Toyota Engineering and Design Center are both located in the Ann Arbor, MI area. Toyota also has another Engineering and Design Center located several miles south of Ann Arbor in Saline, MI.

Michigan is an engineering Mecca, and employs more engineers per capita than any other state.
http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Annual-2014/Study-Michigan-Tops-US-with-Number-of-Engineers-Per-Capita/

Quote from the article:
"Michigan is home to more than 330 automotive R&D companies and hosts
R&D facilities for nine of the world’s 10 largest automakers."

This post was edited on 3/3 12:24 AM by Innermind

The Accord is built in Ohio and has a higher US-sourced content than some "American" cars, many of which are assembled outside the US.

This post was edited on 3/3 1:10 AM by Kentor404

Made in America Index

not a surprise. The states that have more farming, rougher winters, and are more rural favor light trucks. The more metropolitan states prefer the sedans and CUVs.

Originally posted by lawmatt78:

Show your work.
Not sure about IQ, but if "most educated" means % of residents w/ a college degree, then he may be right.
Hes kind of right. California has alot of immigrants, which no doubt sinks it down the rankings, but MD, NJ, and VA are in the top 7 for Bachelors and advanced degrees - both of which correlates to IQ. And California is still in the top 15 for each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_educational_attainment

There's zero correlation between this and the choice to drive a Honda Accord.

There's zero correlation between this and the choice to drive a Honda Accord.
Maybe there is, maybe there isnt. But thats not what he said.

The choice to buy an Accord is pretty simple.

Value for the moneyReliabilitySize/ComfortNot sporty anymore, but livelier driving characteristics than its direct competitors (Camry/Fusion/Sonata/200/Malibu)
I still have my 2004 Accord Coupe with a V6. Runs great, cheap to maintain, runs on regular unleaded, drives reasonably sporty.

I have a '14 Accord Coupe and it is my favorite car that I've ever owned. Love the look, great on gas and am confident it'll run without incident for years.

I see so many different cars here in NJ.

It really depends where you live, the accord is NOT the most popular everywhere in NJ. Though they may sell more accords than any other cars, but most cars may not be accords.

About what I'd expect. The fascination with Honda Accords around here is inexplicable.
Are you for real?

Ehhhh...I'll give you that. Americans don't like American cars, just like New Jerseyans don't like New Jersey. No logical explanation, it just is. FWIW, I think the quality gap between domestic and import cars has narrowed greatly. I have a Ford Fusion in the household and it has been more solid and reliable than the Accord it replaced.
Perception on reliability is always going to lag. People view European and Asian cars as being superior to American cars, and in a great many cases, they are. Not only for reliability, but also for value and fit/finish.

Also, Rhode Island is a Camry state. Not Tacoma.

Also, it doesn't matter where a car is built as much as it matters where the profits go.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Perception on reliability is always going to lag. People view European and Asian cars as being superior to American cars, and in a great many cases, they are. Not only for reliability, but also for value and fit/finish.

Also, it doesn't matter where a car is built as much as it matters where the profits go.
I'll bet there are a lot of folks in Detroit (and millions of others who have since left) who would disagree.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

I take the opposite view - its probably more beneficial for the labor to be done here and the profits overseas than the reverse.

Its not a surprise that pickup trucks are so popular- but it is a surprise that their are such stark regional pattersn. Evne with cars - why are Toyotas popular in the South Atlantic region, but Hondas in the Northeast?

"Nj, Maryland, Virginia, and California all prefer the Accord. Good company to be in
They are some of the most educated, highest IQ states."

California has crashed and burned education wise. Their HS grad rate is 48th or 49th depending on recent years looked at. CA's college attainment rate ranks them 23rd. They rank very high for % of college drop outs (which these days is often a good thing ). NJ high school grad rate is still high but its dropped since new stat methods were introduced. For HS and college attainment combined NJ is 26th (NY is 36th).

N.J. high school graduation rates decrease

Originally posted by miketd1:
Are you for real?
100%.

The Accord is something of an illusion. It's been a number of years since the car was top-rated for quality. It's certainly not an enthusiast choice - the handling is merely average, the acceleration is lackadaisical except in the 5% take-rate for the V-6 engine, which overpowers the chassis in a pretty horrifying way.

What's funny is that in a previous post somebody picked on the Malibu as the "anti-Accord", but that same Malibu scores quite highly in the quality ratings and was the 2012 J.D. Power overall pick for mid-sized cars in their IQS.

At this point, build quality in cars has been commodotized. All the popular imports are built in the U.S. by the same robots, using the same broadly-outsourced parts, as their American counterparts.

Any impression that an Accord is somehow a "better" car than a Malibu or a Fusion (which has been absolutely storming the category and is a great car) or a current-generation Chrysler 200 or a Kia Optima (which most recently led the category in total quality) is pure myth. The decision to buy one is based entirely on having succumbed to the reputation constructed by Honda's marketing department.

Hell, I've got an 8 year-old Saab 9-3 sitting in my driveway that is a FAR better car than my brother-in-law's 7 year-old Accord and makes my neighbor's 9 year-old Camry look like a John Deere.

And, I repeat, there is nothing - nothing - which in any way links the "most popular car" in any geographical area to that area's average intellect. The mere suggestion is just stupid. For one thing, really intelligent people tend to make a lot of money - and they don't buy Honda Accords.

4real: Eh, I'm not "into" cars enough to want anything special. A to B in a reliable, low-maintenance manner. I also make big purchases based on reputation. That's Honda's reputation, and it's well earned. I'll admit, I like a lot of Ford's newer designs, but most of my purchases -- especially bigger ones -- tend to be reputation based. Ford's getting there in my mind, but not quite yet. Maybe by the time my son is driving. He loves his Boss 302 power wheel and his Corvette bed, so it's up to them to lose or keep him as a customer, lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT