ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ohio State selling tickets to preseason practices... for $50 a pop

Nah… Some are too busy trying engage others into a Johnson measuring contest putting others down instead of having mature conversations.

To your point, there’s some who may want to check out the OL drills. Or WR/DB, 7 v 7 battles on Wednesdays. Or some who probably can’t make it on Saturdays so he’d plop down a 10/ 20 for practice. Kids may get into practice being up close (as close as up close can be for practices).

It’s an interesting idea and if you can set up bleachers on the perimeter like at the Giants Stadium practice facilities… maybe:
I think it's an interesting concept and thinking outside the box
What bothers most people is the idea of paying for things on a one off instead of all at once

E.G., if you buy season tickets and a portion went towards NIL and another portion of the cost went towards watching an open practice, nobody would care

In regard to Boosters, if you donate enough money, you get certain perks

Personally, I just love football and the chance to watch a practice for $50.00 is something I would do in a heartbeat

Really? I learned a lot while I practiced. I learned nothing watching Floods team practice (and the team as well! But he took notes lol). And went to one Ash practice with a bunch of fellow former players. Nobody was learning anything. My god he was not head coach material.
If they are selling tickets to a scrimmage maybe it's worth it for someone. But football practice is boring to watch. The team is split up into many parts.
Particularly nowadays when they don't even hit anymore.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
You've already indirectly paid to attend

They're not inviting the young alumni season ticket holders to them
Same with dinner on the field
Or GS's introductory press conference when he returned

never had dinner on the field (I'm not that big of a donor) but did get an invite to GS intro press conference. I actually won at least one of my practice visits in a tricky tray when they did Lady Football Camp (I guess I paid because I had to purchase tickets for the tricky tray).

My favorite thing I got invited too was the Senior Night Awards. That was a lot of fun and I got to hear JPO give his "this is Jersey Baby" speech. The crowd was going nuts. Such a fun night.

I hope Rutgers starts doing this

With soccer on the weekends, it's hard for my wife and daughter to attend games
This would be a great opportunity to introduce them to Rutgers football on a whole new level

$150 for 3 people is the equivalent to a nice dinner out - so why not sacrifice that in order to live, up close, Big Ten football?
I disagree as a great way to introduce them. I think practice is the worst way to introduce the sport. You know this is going to be the blandest practice because they don’t want any secrets out. Likely they won’t be scrimmaging and most of it going to be boring position drills. How exciting can be rv running over bags or watching line practice first steps be? I honestly think after 5 minutes they would be bored to death.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not... Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that?.. And we talking about practice.
I find it hard to believe. There must be something else to this that we don't know about...

Reactions: WhiteBus
Listen not everyone has played this game . Very few have played at a high level, like yourself . Many people can learn a lot by watching a practice
Most sports fans of any team in any sport are not that sophisticated. They favor removal of all possible restrictions on offense so that every game ends with three billion points scored, because that entertains them. I seriously doubt many fans would do this for the sake of learning. Just my opinion...

Reactions: WhiteBus
I disagree as a great way to introduce them. I think practice is the worst way to introduce the sport. You know this is going to be the blandest practice because they don’t want any secrets out. Likely they won’t be scrimmaging and most of it going to be boring position drills. How exciting can be rv running over bags or watching line practice first steps be? I honestly think after 5 minutes they would be bored to death.
The only way this is fun for a kid is if there's an autograph session or meet and greet involved. And if I were bringing a kid, I'd purposely skip the first at least 30 minutes, maybe more if the autograph session is after.

A somewhat serious middle school Pop Warner or high school player might get something out, but that's about it. Even a diehard fan would be bored. Scrimmages would be mostly fine as they at least resemble a game and are at "live" speed.

never had dinner on the field (I'm not that big of a donor) but did get an invite to GS intro press conference. I actually won at least one of my practice visits in a tricky tray when they did Lady Football Camp (I guess I paid because I had to purchase tickets for the tricky tray).

My favorite thing I got invited too was the Senior Night Awards. That was a lot of fun and I got to hear JPO give his "this is Jersey Baby" speech. The crowd was going nuts. Such a fun night.
That's kind of my point though, is that we all love the game day atmosphere, excitement, tailgating, etc.
But the other ancilary stuff (practices, meet the team, events) are also super fun
For $50, it's an experience that won't break the bank, and if it's not that fun, most people won't do it again

Best way to introduce them is gameday and tailgating
This would be the next best thing though, as there's live hitting and likely other things to keep kids occupied

The only way this is fun for a kid is if there's an autograph session or meet and greet involved. And if I were bringing a kid, I'd purposely skip the first at least 30 minutes, maybe more if the autograph session is after.

A somewhat serious middle school Pop Warner or high school player might get something out, but that's about it. Even a diehard fan would be bored. Scrimmages would be mostly fine as they at least resemble a game and are at "live" speed.
That's fair
Agree if they had something for the kids that would definitely help
Personally, I enjoy practices but I'm also an admitted crazed football geek

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT