ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nabisco plant in Fair Lawn off 208 to close

I drive past this pretty regularly and like it was said before you always knew when they were baking. Murphy tried to save the jobs but the company was pretty set on closing it down. It's a shame because it's been there for so long.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I drive past this pretty regularly and like it was said before you always knew when they were baking. Murphy tried to save the jobs but the company was pretty set on closing it down. It's a shame because it's been there for so long.

Imposing a tax surcharge on large corporations that takes the tax rate up near the highest among the states is a strange way to save jobs.

Ocean Spray shut down a plant in Burlington County several years back and moved to Pennsylvania. I remember reading they were paying in the range of $450K in property taxes each year. Taxes in their new location were going to be approximately $60K. I don't see how things end up well for NJ taxpayers.

Ocean Spray shut down a plant in Burlington County several years back and moved to Pennsylvania. I remember reading they were paying in the range of $450K in property taxes each year. Taxes in their new location were going to be approximately $60K. I don't see how things end up well for NJ taxpayers.
That just means that those companies who stay will just have to pick up the slack!

One of my first jobs was cleaning smoke eaters, this Nabisco plant had a couple in their employees lounge (1980s when smoking wasn't the devil it is today) and I use to have to walk through the plant to get to them, it was GREAT, I was like the fat kid in Willie Wonka. 😃

Anyone remember the sunshine biscuit factory in Sayreville ? They made the hydrox cookies there and you would get a nice smell

You may know something I don’t, but the Company’s press release said NJ and Atlanta plants were closing with production shifting to plants in VA, Chicago, and Portland.
Yea sure, 10% of Fairlawn’s production stays in the U.S., the rest goes to Mexico. Mondelez just built a huge plant down on Mexico.

Anyone remember the sunshine biscuit factory in Sayreville ? They made the hydrox cookies there and you would get a nice smell
Oh yeah, I left my house in the morning (Green Valley off Washington Rd) going to school and the smell would hit you as you walked out the door.

I’ve lived in Bergen County all my life , I’ll never forget as a kid driving up towards skyline drive before 287 was an idea in someone’s head to go fishing we always would look forward to getting a whiff of cookies being baked, hmmmmmm brings a smile to my face. Later in life I lived in Hawthorn off Lincoln Ave for 2 years and when the wind blew just right that’s all you would smell all day which was a bit too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Imposing a tax surcharge on large corporations that takes the tax rate up near the highest among the states is a strange way to save jobs.

No reduction in taxes by New Jersey or any other state is going to stop a company from moving their Factories to Mexico. I say F them and Jack up their Corporate taxes. Also no longer plan on buying ‘Nilla Wafers anymore.

No reduction in taxes by New Jersey or any other state is going to stop a company from moving their Factories to Mexico. I say F them and Jack up their Corporate taxes. Also no longer plan on buying ‘Nilla Wafers anymore.

Kind of like buying GME at $350. per share and losing 75% of your investment, but thinking it's worth it 'cause you're sticking it to "the man".

Sad, isn't globalism grand? I don't think so. Now what are those poor people going to do? The service economy does not specialized in high paying jobs.

Used to live in Howell and the Nestle owned coffee plant was in freehold. While I lived too far to get the smell everyday every once in awhile the wind would blow just right and we would get that fresh roasted coffee smell. Just thinking about it has me craving my morning coffee.

Once we get that minimum wage up to $15 and hour, we should really see the jobs fly out of the country.
It began in NJ as soon as they made it law despite it taking 4 years to gradually take effect. McDonalds immediatley installed the self serve kiosks for ordering and my local ShopRite tripled the amount of self serve checkouts. Politicians deny this will affect jobs but anyone could predict what is happening.

I worked summers for the Middlesex County Mosquito Commission 1976-1980 and Sayreville was in my area. We routinely had to go inside the locked gates at Sunshine so we had to go to Security to get the key. One particular time my co-worker and I were walking from our truck to the Security office and we see a guy in a hard hat storming across the parking lot. He turns and fires his hard hat at the building and yells "I'm sick of these f**king cookies". We assumed he was quitting. We were amused.

I worked summers for the Middlesex County Mosquito Commission 1976-1980 and Sayreville was in my area. We routinely had to go inside the locked gates at Sunshine so we had to go to Security to get the key. One particular time my co-worker and I were walking from our truck to the Security office and we see a guy in a hard hat storming across the parking lot. He turns and fires his hard hat at the building and yells "I'm sick of these f**king cookies". We assumed he was quitting. We were amused.
I also worked in Helmetta and remember the whole town smelling like whatever flavor snuff the snuff factory was making that day.

Do the still make hydrox cookies? I remember them as an alternative to Oreos growing up but have not seen them in a long time. Thought they were a little sweeter than Oreos although now with double stuff and something with even more cream in the middle I am not sure that could possibly be the case.

Yes, very well. I have fond memories of it. My first job out of college was working for Deloitte, who did their audit. Sunshine Biscuits ended up being a client of mine for a few years. And by far one of my favorites. The team there was great to work with and I used to love to BS with them. Great guys. But beyond that, they would take us out on tours of the bakery, which was always an experience. It really smelled good and we used to eat lots of Cheeze Its. It really bummed me out when I found out years later they closed that place down. It's like you lose a little piece of yourself with each of these things lost to time.

Do the still make hydrox cookies? I remember them as an alternative to Oreos growing up but have not seen them in a long time. Thought they were a little sweeter than Oreos although now with double stuff and something with even more cream in the middle I am not sure that could possibly be the case.
I don't think so. I haven't seen them in ages. They definitely were not as good as Oreo's in fairness. The Cheeze Its were their big hit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT