ADVERTISEMENT

OT: need a new car recommendation

CornerTavern

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2008
I have a 2003 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo, which I have driven for many years and I love. However, it's at almost 140,000 miles, and it's time has come. It is not huge as far as SUVs go, but I like having a decent amount of storage space, for tailgates and family trips and whatnot. I have two boys entering their teens, so I need a four-door with a decent amount of room. Also, I love having four-wheel-drive and decent clearance height, for these New Jersey winters. And lastly, I currently have the V8, I like the power and the pick up. Also, I drive an automatic not a stick.

I have not shopped for a new car in such a long time, that honestly I don't know where to start.

I have a 45 minute commute each way most days every week, so I put a decent amount of miles on it. I want something reliable, and honestly I probably want something off a three-year lease and not a new car… But who knows. I am a guy with kids and my car is going to get dirty and sandy with trips to the beach and fishing and whatnot, so having something brand spanking new probably doesn't make sense?

I don't like the way the new Jeep looks, but I would definitely consider it. I have also seen the Honda CRV, that looks decent. And, although I've never been in one, the Land Rover looks interesting…

Any recommendations or advice, anyone?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The new Subaru Forester is a beast. AWD. Good MPG. Interior (black on black leather) is really nice. My wife has one. I love it.

Test drive it. You'll be surprised.

In the small SUV we have a Masda CX5 which we love. Don't count out new cars. Depending on if you finance them the difference may not end up being much for a new car with the better rates.

These threads always crack me up because you start out mentioning Jeep and Honda then someone will come in mentioning luxury cars in the 80k+ range.

Have had very positive experience with Honda Pilot - highly reliable & very functional. The ability to seat 8 comes in handy - and for a trip it can seat 5 & carry lots of stuff .
Toyota Highlander has always gotten good marks. & the Mazda CX9 is said to be pretty good too.
GMC Acadia / Traverse and the new Ford Explorer might be worth a look - reviews have been favorable.

Just for fun - check out the Hyundai Santa Fe - you might be surprised at how it measures up

Suspect that you will find CRV / RAV4 / Forester just a bit on the small side as your boys are growing toward the larger side!

The Rav4 is a piece of shit. The CRV probably wouldn't be big enough and it definitely wouldn't be comfortable enough for 90 minutes a day.

OP needs to lay out some basic requirements: nominal passenger count, required cargo room, need for AWD, optimal price point, etc. Otherwise you wind up with what is already on this thread, which is people suggesting random stuff that makes no sense.

I would suggest using Edmunds car comparisons as a tool to find your next vehicle. Many of the equivalent sized vehicles get about 20 mpg in the City and about 28 mpg on the highway.

As for pricing:
- AAA uses TrueCar
- BJ's has negotiated pricing
- Costco has negotiated pricing
- Edmunds also has negotiated pricing

Unless you want a premium vehicle you may be best with a gas efficient mainstream vehicle because of your 30-45 mile commute each way. The New Cherokee, CRV, Rav 4, Rogue, Forrester, or similar vehicle may be best. For premium look at the Lexus NX or the 2016 Acura RDX (available in April). The Audi Q5 and BMW X3 can work too but you may put on too many miles for them where you will be at 60k miles in less than 3 years.

If you are going to buy a new car, I definitely recommend using Truecar.com and no I do not work for them. They'll give you prices. You can then take those prices and then call all the dealerships within 1 hour drive. Then you ask them if they can beat the price. I did this with my last 2 cars (jeep grand cherokee overland and now the infiniti qx60) and I now buy all my cars using this technique.

Originally posted by RUinPAC10land:
If you are going to buy a new car, I definitely recommend using Truecar.com and no I do not work for them. They'll give you prices. You can then take those prices and then call all the dealerships within 1 hour drive. Then you ask them if they can beat the price. I did this with my last 2 cars (jeep grand cherokee overland and now the infiniti qx60) and I now buy all my cars using this technique.
I'll second True Car. If you have an affiliate program through work, the True Car discount is even better. I have Corporate Perks, which also gives you points to use for other purchases, so you wind up saving a lot. The good thing is that they always have the updated discount and incentive programs listed in one place when you search a car. A really good service.

Subaru Outback. Bigger than the Forester.

Even RU4Real will acknowledge its functionality as the winning vehicle in the 2012 Cannonball to Orlando.

Thanks everyone!

Criteria, as best as I can at this point:

General: mid range SUV. I need reliability and value. I don't care about high end name brand or bells n whistles. My ex had a infinity JX on lease and I thought it was Not worth the money (and a lemon to boot).

Passengers: 1 for daily commute, 3 for school/kids stuff. Two kids nearly teens, need a roomy backseat. Need decent trunk/hatch space.

Mileage: I put up to 300 miles per week on my car on average. Includes, work commute, school, weekends.

We just bought a 2012 ford expedition. We are really happy with it.

Originally posted by CornerTavern:
Thanks everyone!

General: mid range SUV. I need reliability and value. I don't care about high end name brand or bells n whistles. My ex had a infinity JX on lease and I thought it was Not worth the money (and a lemon to boot).

Passengers: 1 for daily commute, 3 for school/kids stuff. Two kids nearly teens, need a roomy backseat. Need decent trunk/hatch space.

Mileage: I put up to 300 miles per week on my car on average. Includes, work commute, school, weekends.
I will acknowledge NoLondonBroil's affinity for the Outback. That said, I don't think it fits your criteria with regard to roominess, but feel free to check it out. Also, I have a pathological hatred for CVT's and believe that nobody should buy any car so equipped.

Here's one you might want to take a serious look at - the Ford Edge. It's a bit larger / roomier than the "Cute Ute" segment defined by the CRV / Escape / Rav4, et al. They're not outrageously expensive, they're pretty reliable and they're very comfortable for extended commuting. It's a Ford, so discounts apply. It's not even that hard to come up with some affiliation that will get you 'X Pricing' these days. For any Ford, you should wind up paying invoice + 100 bucks.

Originally posted by MozRU:
The new Subaru Forester is a beast. AWD. Good MPG. Interior (black on black leather) is really nice. My wife has one. I love it.

Test drive it. You'll be surprised.
15250pos.jpg

Originally posted by jay_hq:
Two words:

Honda Accord.
+1

I own a 2013 Accord 4 cyl. and absolutely love it. Two other guys I work with saw my Black with Black leather interior and both bought Accords after taking rides in mine. Had been a Toyota guy for 21 years. Still like Toyota but needed a change of scenery. It was the right change!

Originally posted by jay_hq:
Two words:

Honda Accord.

+1. $22,000 for LX. 33 mpg every tankful. Change the oil. Put the savings in your 401k and kids' college funds. $$$$

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:

These threads always crack me up because you start out mentioning Jeep and Honda then someone will come in mentioning luxury cars in the 80k+ range.
Me too. OP basically said he wants an SUV and the first suggestion for one is a Honda Accord.

My input to this thread is, you may consider a 6 or even a 4 cylinder engine. They produce a lot of power now a days and you get better fuel mileage.

Thanks everyone!

I would suggest the Honda CRV or Toyota Rav 4. The recently updated CRV gets good marks and both Toyota and Honda retain their value well. The Nissan Rogue will suit you fine too. All are about the same size and have decent trunk space for kids sports equipment. You can also check out the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport that has a stronger engine.

Anybody have a suggestion for a mid-sized sedan besides the Accord? I'm getting rid of my BMW 3 series & looking at ideas for replacing it. Id prefer something that takes regular gas, not premium.

Anybody familiar with the Chrysler 200? I enjoy the commercials and my wife has a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee with really cool bells & whistles.

I've had the new 200 as a rental a few times since the new ones came out. Nice car. Not a BMW or Audi, but not bad at all. Get the V6 with AWD and you'll be pleased.

My previous car was a Hyundai Tucson (midsize SUV) . It was very reliable. I moved up to a Santa Fe last year and so far it is also very reliable. I was in the same mindset as you in that I didn't want to buy new. I was thinking of going to a place like Car Sense but never made it. I also did some research on Enterprise used cars, which had several locations in north Jersey. I know Hertz has several places where they sell used cars as well. When we trade in my wife's Honda CRV we want to look at a Subaru Forester or Outback (my wife wants a Forester but I agree with the above posters thinking the Outback is a better choice

RUJohnny - mid-sized sedan to replace a BMW 3 series ... the car magazine writers almost always pick the Mazda 6 as the Japanese car that is closest to the 3 series in handling & feel.

Originally posted by RUMBA-JK:
RUJohnny - mid-sized sedan to replace a BMW 3 series ... the car magazine writers almost always pick the Mazda 6 as the Japanese car that is closest to the 3 series in handling & feel.
This is just not true. They pick the Mazda 6 as being "BMW-like" in its OWN category, but the 6 is NOT in the same category as a 3 series, an A4, a C class, S60, etc.

As verification for this, note that the Mazda 6 is never compared head-to-head against any of the aforementioned.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

This is just not true. They pick the Mazda 6 as being "BMW-like" in its OWN category, but the 6 is NOT in the same category as a 3 series, an A4, a C class, S60, etc.

As verification for this, note that the Mazda 6 is never compared head-to-head against any of the aforementioned.
The 3 series is about 182 inches long. The mainstream vehicles in this class are the Corolla, Elantra, Civic,and Sentra. They all have weaker engines. For something almost as strong you may have to go for an Acura ILX, Audi A3, Lexus IS, or Mercedes CLA

Originally posted by RUfinal4:

The 3 series is about 182 inches long. The mainstream vehicles in this class are the Corolla, Elantra, Civic,and Sentra. They all have weaker engines. For something almost as strong you may have to go for an Acura ILX, Audi A3, Lexus IS, or Mercedes CLA
Overall length does not determine "class", and the Corolla, Civic, etc. are not in the same class as a 3 series. Also, the 3 series equivalent Audi is the A4, not the A3. There is, at this time, no BMW equivalent to either an A3 or a CLA.

Corner,

I had fairly similar criteria to yours last October. I wound up buying a 2012 Nissan Murano with 20,000 miles on it. It was 2 1/2 years old and I got it for $24,000. The 2014 similarly equipped was $38,000. I thought that the $14,000 savings for 20,000 miles was a good value. It is a mid size SUV and the interior is surprisingly nice. It also has very good reliability ratings.

Originally posted by ruknight87:
Corner,

I had fairly similar criteria to yours last October. I wound up buying a 2012 Nissan Murano with 20,000 miles on it. It was 2 1/2 years old and I got it for $24,000. The 2014 similarly equipped was $38,000. I thought that the $14,000 savings for 20,000 miles was a good value. It is a mid size SUV and the interior is surprisingly nice. It also has very good reliability ratings.
The Murano is nice.

it has a CVT. Burn it.

Might not be quite big enough for your taste, but the Mazda cx5 is worth considering. Actually, just about anything being made by Mazda right now is pretty stellar

Got an '08 CRV a few years ago and have been very happy with it. After a lot of research narrowed it down to Forrester, CRV and Rav 4. We were really looking at the Forrester, but then got a great deal on the CRV. Good luck!

I don't want a huge SUV - I'm not driving the hockey team or anything. But it needs to not be a cute ute. I'm 6'3'' and I need to fit in the cab.

I don't want a huge SUV - I'm not driving the hockey team or anything. But it needs to not be a cute ute. I'm 6'3'' and I need to fit in the cab.
Take a look at the Edge and also look over the Explorer. I'm thinking that maybe you're accustomed to your GC and you like it - it could well be that the option which satisfies you most is to get another one.

I have a Traverse and it is perfect for my family. However, it sounds like you do not need as much room as I do. Assuming that is the case I would recommend a AWD Mazda CX-9 based on your criteria.

Bought a 2015 Mazda6, Grand Touring model, last June. Love it! I had 2 Mazda 626's way back when, then switched to a Toyota Solara for awhile when they stopped offering standard transmission. The handling in my new Mazda6 is fantastic; I had really missed that in my Toyota. The manual trans is supposed to be great, but I actually went with the automatic this time, due to bad knees and bad back. :-( Thankfully, the manual mode has performed well on snowy roads this winter. btw, my fully loaded car was still significantly cheaper than any of the BMW's, and it takes regular gas. And in "soul red", it's a real head-turner.

p.s. this was in response the Mazda6 comment above, not the OP. I also looked at the MB CLA, BMW 3 and 4 series, Audi A3/A4, and a few other vehicles that technically might not all be in the same class, but they all fit my need for great handling and a rather long list of "must haves". LOL

This post was edited on 3/9 11:46 PM by dmd78

Originally posted by Piscataway:
Toyota Sienna awd.

Reliable. Roomy. Awd, duh. Decent mileage.
Minivan.

Chick.

Next.
Don't be hating on the AWD minivan.

If he wants all things in one package this is it. Otherwise he needs 2 separate vehicles. Some times its just time to throw in the towel and realize you aint pimpin no more...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT