ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need opinions please, Transmission and Radiator Fluids Change

scarletjimmy

All Conference
Aug 3, 2001
Mashpee, MA
I bought my 2007 Acura TSX new. It has 133k miles I drive it 1,200 and 1,800 miles a month, mostly for work which pays me 53.5 cents a mile. This last trip I got 33.3 MPG, use only Premium. I love the car, it is starting to look like a 10 year old car with 130k miles on it but still runs great.

So should I do a transmission and radiator fluid replacement, not flush, replacement? I am "paid" $500/month in mileage, it was paid for the day I bought it, still runs well I am planning to run it into the ground.

Also had the A/C on the other day it was not blowing as cold as I remember it.

Thanks

For the AC, go to a local auto repair store and buy some a/c relacement and charge it. If it holds you are good for $50 bucks. If not you have a problem.

I bought my 2007 Acura TSX new. It has 133k miles I drive it 1,200 and 1,800 miles a month, mostly for work which pays me 53.5 cents a mile. This last trip I got 33.3 MPG, use only Premium. I love the car, it is starting to look like a 10 year old car with 130k miles on it but still runs great.

So should I do a transmission and radiator fluid replacement, not flush, replacement? I am "paid" $500/month in mileage, it was paid for the day I bought it, still runs well I am planning to run it into the ground.

Thanks

https://www.gearheadwiki.com/wiki/2004-2008_Acura_TSX_repair_manual:Maintenance_schedule

For the amount of miles on it, and if it has never been done before, yes.

For the AC, most likely it just needs to be charged.

Reactions: Tango Two
You should do all of the above changes on the fluids. It is not expensive and will prolong the life of your vehicle's critical parts.

I also hope you have changed all of the belts and hoses.

With the mileage you have and the generous reimbursement you receive I would say just follow the necessary regular maintenace schedule and a few of the other suggestions expressed here. Regarding the AC..yes you can charge it yourself but a reputable garage/mechanic should be able to check the system and recharge and balance it out for around $40. One of the main things to check or even replace is your timing belt/chain. Again it seems like you have a very generous car allowance and have kept your car in good condition. Do the trans flush and filter change and fuel filter replacement. When was the last time you did a tune up including spark plugs and ignition wire replacement?

Thanks

With the mileage you have and the generous reimbursement you receive I would say just follow the necessary regular maintenace schedule and a few of the other suggestions expressed here. Regarding the AC..yes you can charge it yourself but a reputable garage/mechanic should be able to check the system and recharge and balance it out for around $40. One of the main things to check or even replace is your timing belt/chain. Again it seems like you have a very generous car allowance and have kept your car in good condition. Do the trans flush and filter change and fuel filter replacement. When was the last time you did a tune up including spark plugs and ignition wire replacement?
Had a tuneup at 100k as per Acura, new plugs, there is not a timing belt on my car. For the first 120k miles I had most work done at the dealer.
Thanks for the advise guys

Had a tuneup at 100k as per Acura, new plugs, there is not a timing belt on my car. For the first 120k miles I had most work done at the dealer.
Thanks for the advise guys
RU62 nailed it about going to a local mechanic and getting your AC charged.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...

For as much experience as you have, here, I'm a little surprised at this thread.

There's no recourse here but to buy a new Honda Accord.

I will add a CR-V to this discussion. Just put in the second timing belt on my 1999 CR-V which my son is driving. Other than tune ups, tires, brakes, exhaust, this thing runs like a tank. I sometimes wish it would die, but it is now part of the family.

p.s. never changed the transmission or radiator fluid.

American manufacturers use a timing chain vs a belt. Never changed nor read recommendation to replace a timing chain. I also never touch trans fluid. Doing so can actually do more harm since the fluid properties impact pump/gear performance. Every car I've owned over 200K, 10 years.

Reactions: redking
How long do you want to continue to drive this car? I know you said you wanted to 'drive it into the ground' - but with proper care and a willingness to repair or replace certain components, this car could serve you (or someone else) for the next 10 years. - 150K - 200K more miles - not unreasonable - With good care & good fortune - you should be able to see 250K -350K.

If you are definitely committed to the long haul - then find an excellent local mechanic with comprehensive Honda knowledge - get the AC question resolved, and then discuss the fluid exchanges ... radiator-probably a good idea - transmission fluid changes you may be told are like chicken soup (can't hurt) - but you may also be told that as long as they are clean & looking right - they should be OK - and if the fluids look funky - you have an issue greater than simply "old fluid".

Now, if you said that you wanted to keep it for just 3 more years - 45K - 60K more miles ... you might be told to address the AC & as long as the fluids look clean & healthy - leave then alone.

Reactions: redking
Had a tuneup at 100k as per Acura, new plugs, there is not a timing belt on my car.

If you are sure you do not have a Timing Belt you should get the Timing Chain inspected. Timing Chains last a long time but occasionally they may need a lubricant and should be inspected for unusual wear.

American manufacturers use a timing chain vs a belt. Never changed nor read recommendation to replace a timing chain. I also never touch trans fluid. Doing so can actually do more harm since the fluid properties impact pump/gear performance. Every car I've owned over 200K, 10 years.

+1. My brother-in-law runs a large TransAxle transmission repair facility. They primarily repair diesel transmissions. But, he literally has over 30 years of experience with both gas and diesel transmissions. He has told me in several occasions to NEVER replace transmission fluid as it generally does more harm than good by screwing with gear performance. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks
2005 MDX here. have 109,000 on it and runs like a top. can't even hear the motor. Done the Belts, Water Pump, Steering and Radiator fluids... car looks good and continues to perform super. Just did the High Mileage Syn Oil change and guy told me that after 70,000 changing the trans fluid is risky...as all have noted above. My father taught me as a youngster to let those ties that bind under there alone.

2005 MDX here. have 109,000 on it and runs like a top. can't even hear the motor. Done the Belts, Water Pump, Steering and Radiator fluids... car looks good and continues to perform super. Just did the High Mileage Syn Oil change and guy told me that after 70,000 changing the trans fluid is risky...as all have noted above. My father taught me as a youngster to let those ties that bind under there alone.

Just a heads-up - the Honda Pilot (and I believe MDX) of that (2004-2005) year range can have a potential issue - the radiator had 2 sections - one part served the engine cooling function - the other served the transmission fluid cooling - and all is fine - until occasions when corrosion breaks down the barrier between the two - and the fluids mix. I you have a factory installed tow package - no concerns because as a part of the tow package, a separate dedicated trans fluid cooler is installed.

I was not driving much, now doing 1.2 to 1.5k per month just for work. Prior to this my car would spend days at Logan or PVD airport lots.

Jimmy should buy himself a nice new car.

Jimmy deserves that.
I am going to do that. I really loves this car, will keep it a little longer. Looking at the new Acura TLX that is coming out for 2018 and the Audi S4. Leaning towards the Acura. The Acura I have now has been easy to own, gets great gas mileage, no complaints about it at all.

There's a huge difference between a TLX and an S4. They're not even in the same universe.

Thanks
Should have also added that I had a 2000 TL that had 179,000 on it (cherry) until my daughter totaled it. Same this as the MDX..everything changed including the Struts and I would have kept it till 250 had she not crashed it. GREAT Cars...just do not like the styling anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT