ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

The Royals coming in hot tomorrow. Swept the Astros, scored 13.

The Royals coming in hot tomorrow. Swept the Astros, scored 13.
Somehow the early power rankings has the Astros as a top 5 team with a losing record. Each year is different with its own set of circumstances. Just like people say college football rankings shouldn't be released until halfway through the season. Baseball rankings should be released in May once teams have played around 20 games.

Nbc Wings GIF by HULU

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Very impressive win today / very impressive series vs Atlanta and very impressive road trip.

Think Mets play KC and Pitt next at Citifield for 6 games.

Would like to see us minimally win 4 of the 6 games to get us back to .500.

Hopefully team keeps its current good mojo at home and hopefully Lindor can get out of his slump.

Somehow the early power rankings has the Astros as a top 5 team with a losing record. . . .
So you would like someone’s early power rankings to essentially be the then-current standings. What’d be the point? (Not that I find much of a point or value in power rankings.)

So you would like someone’s early power rankings to essentially be the then-current standings. What’d be the point? (Not that I find much of a point or value in power rankings.)
It is pretty amazing that college football does exactly this.

You misunderstood my point. This is about perception. Each year presents different challenges, roster, etc. The random power rankings relies on the idea that Astros are the same team its been the last decade. Power rankings meaning absolutely sh*t in the grand scheme of things. It just gives you a snapshot of each team at that moment in time. The only reason I mentioned it is perception is a b*tch and it's built mostly on lies.

It is pretty amazing that college football does exactly this.
Two things. First, lots of websites and sports publications create lists to get views, which of course doesn’t make them meaningful. Second, you don’t see the distinction between the way college football is organized and baseball?

Taking 2 road series after a disastrous opening home stand is a great bounce back. Totally disagree with so many that think Steve Cohen is punting the 2024 season. Can we get out of April first? Some extremely impressive pitching prospects not far off. To me things are looking bright.

Two things. First, lots of websites and sports publications create lists to get views, which of course doesn’t make them meaningful. Second, you don’t see the distinction between the way college football is organized and baseball?
Wasn’t looking for an argument- just pointing out how bad the college system actually is based on the comment I was replying to. It was just conversation

Couple of rain outs last night so not a full slate of action. Hamel had a nice bounce back start.

April 11 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 1/4, RBI, K, 2 SB(4), .152/.449
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (High A Brooklyn) - PPD
  5. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, R, RBI, .250/.550
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (High A Brooklyn) - PPD
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, 1 HR, 8.22
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (High A Brooklyn) - PPD
  20. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, RBI, BB, K, .267/.788
  21. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2B(1), R, BB, .240/.696
  22. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - PPD
  23. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  24. Nate Lavender LHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  25. Boston Baro SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Injured
  26. Nick Morabito OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2B(1), R, BB, 2 K, SB(3), .250/.873
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
Honorable Mention

1. Kade Morris RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP

I’d guess I'd say that it makes some sense ranking the Astros high based on their performance in the last half dozen years and not relying on the last half dozen or so games.

Last edited:
The Astros have a great lineup and seemingly a great bullpen. Yes their SP is out of whack right now but any placement that high in a power ranking this early is justified.

Nice to see what is happening now that a few of our guys are coming around, Nimmo, McNeil Alonso starting to pick it up, Bader doing well and the kids, Baty/Alvarez both hitting.
Starters are pitching well enough and maybe Seve is back to his old self. That could be huge.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Should I go back to last week and check out all the bridge jumpers? It's baseball it's always up and down. There's a path to a WC team here as I've said the full off-season. Enjoy the season and the growth as a franchise this year.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
It’s why you never give up on a player after their rookie year.

It takes some players a year to get adjusted.

I always liked Baty.

Saw him in minors and he raked !

Very happy to see how well he’s doing so far this year !
100% agree. So many said he didn't play with fire, didn't want to get his uniform dirty.Crazy popup fans. It's hard to show emotion when you're struggling and worried about getting sent down. I remember the story of Willie Mays starting off 0-25 and asking Leo Durocher to send him back down. Leo just said relax you're my CF for the whole season. I believe he crushed his 1st homer the next game and the rest is history. PS. Not saying Baty is the next Mays, because I know how some love to jump on shit said.🤡

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Should I go back to last week and check out all the bridge jumpers? It's baseball it's always up and down. There's a path to a WC team here as I've said the full off-season. Enjoy the season and the growth as a franchise this year.
Correct, there'll even come a time THIS season where the Mets will catch the Yankees record wise, you'll see, and that after a 0-5 start and the Yankees with the fastest start in their history. Not saying the Mets will finish with a better record, but at some point they'll be even. It's not how you start but how you finish.

Week 1 looked like Yankees/Braves/Dodgers were going to just run away with things- and somehow, after 15 games or so- the pack has closed in.
I still worry about DH with this team. Did JD just let himself go and ends up a .230 15 HR disaster?
Does a guy like Marte, stay healthy?
Starters- so far- all but Houser have worked out of the new guys we brought in...can they continue? What will Senga be when he gets back?

But I am excited to see Baty/Alvarez playing well- hopefully, the good start for Baty will bring the power around for him too. McNeil and Nimmo are fun when raking. Alonso is being Alonso. Diaz is Diaz. If the lineup can stay solid- it would be great to let some of the kids on offense stay down and really learn the trade without forcing fitting them too much.
And just last year- seemed like our minors had no pitchers close to ready- I cant wait to see what Butto brings to the table and at some point- excited to see Scott.

It will be interesting and fun...

JD had back issues last year. It's why his market was slow not just the Boras ask.

Vientos can get valuable ABs as a right handed DH, or when Baty needs a day off vs a tough lefty.
And when Alvarez isn't taking those AB's...Vientos will be getting a handful of AB's each week if he is up here.

The Mets' defense picked the wrong time to leave them. Errors happen, but boy were they bonehead mistakes.

The Mets' pitching has gotten away with smoke and mirrors, but at some point it will burn you. Management made a huge mistake by not addressing the pitching staff.

The Mets' defense picked the wrong time to leave them. Errors happen, but boy were they bonehead mistakes.

The Mets' pitching has gotten away with smoke and mirrors, but at some point it will burn you. Management made a huge mistake by not addressing the pitching staff.
the only move they could have made was Montgomery

the only move they could have made was Montgomery
For a long a time during spring training, both Snell or Montgomery were available. That would have been a major upgrade over what the Mets are tossing out there right now. I just think when you go cheap, you get burned. I hate to see the Mets waste a solid offense. You can't always win a slugfest.

Reactions: rubaseball78
For a long a time during spring training, both Snell or Montgomery were available. That would have been a major upgrade over what the Mets are tossing out there right now. I just think when you go cheap, you get burned. I hate to see the Mets waste a solid offense. You can't always win a slugfest.
I have never been a fan of Snell but thought they should have gone in on Montgomery…that is the guy that made sense.

Bonehead mistakes? There was one error by Marte. Shit happens. Not going to blame Nimmo for that valiant attempt that he may have pushed over the fence.

Bonehead mistakes? There was one error by Marte. Shit happens. Not going to blame Nimmo for that valiant attempt that he may have pushed over the fence.
Marte error turned into a 3 base mistake. That's hard to do. Pete's throw on the pickoff attempt. Narvaez can't throw himself out if he attempted to steal. Not blaming Nimmo on his play. It's hard to win when you don't play sound defense.

I have never been a fan of Snell but thought they should have gone in on Montgomery…that is the guy that made sense.
Montgomery would have been cheap and far better than what the Mets are throwing out there now. The margin of error is slim for the Mets and they can't rely on a strong offense to win every battle. The Mets have gotten away with pitching so far, but it will catch up to them because the law of averages always do.

Marte error turned into a 3 base mistake. That's hard to do. Pete's throw on the pickoff attempt. Narvaez can't throw himself out if he attempted to steal. Not blaming Nimmo on his play. It's hard to win when you don't play sound defense.

Montgomery would have been cheap and far better than what the Mets are throwing out there now. The margin of error is slim for the Mets and they can't rely on a strong offense to win every battle. The Mets have gotten away with pitching so far, but it will catch up to them because the law of averages always do.
Agreeing- Montgomery along with the JD signing would have been the way to go.

Except Montgomery would have cost double the price and he's really a good #3. I would have signed him over JD but I also understand why Stearns was hesitant. He doesn't move the needle much.

Except Montgomery would have cost double the price and he's really a good #3. I would have signed him over JD but I also understand why Stearns was hesitant. He doesn't move the needle much.
I agree with you, he doesn't move the needle, but he's better that what the Mets have been marching out this so far this year. Montgomery signed an one deal for $25 million with a player option for $20. That's not expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT