ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 PGA Tour thread THE OPEN. Last major of 2024

Crazy stat but Scottie's Memorial win was his first PGA Tour win after the Masters. Let's see if he continues to play well the rest of the season. Bryson on another level at the majors. Can't wait for The Open. Don't really care about the Olympics.
BD is an exciting player because he can bomb it. If he can hit it straight, he is hard to beat. However, if the course punishes you for inaccuracy off the tee, he will not be in contention. He was extremely lucky last week. Think they said he was 51 in accuracy. The Open will not be as forgiving.

BD is an exciting player because he can bomb it. If he can hit it straight, he is hard to beat. However, if the course punishes you for inaccuracy off the tee, he will not be in contention. He was extremely lucky last week. Think they said he was 51 in accuracy. The Open will not be as forgiving.
Bryson is much more than just a bomber. He can get his irons dialed in and can putt. He’s a complete player. In fact, his driving in the final round last week was brutal and he still figured out a way to grind out that round. I’m not sure you can say that Pinehurst #2 is more forgiving than Royal Troon (obviously pending weather conditions).

Reactions: rubaseball78
Bryson is much more than just a bomber. He can get his irons dialed in and can putt. He’s a complete player. In fact, his driving in the final round last week was brutal and he still figured out a way to grind out that round. I’m not sure you can say that Pinehurst #2 is more forgiving than Royal Troon (obviously pending weather conditions).
No doubt. If you read back , I said he won because of his short game and putting. But fans like him because of he can bomb it. BD just got a lot of good breaks and he can get the back of the ball in those waste areas. I think the high fescue and pot bunkers will cost you a shot.

Love reading all the story how Rory lost the lead late to lose the US Open. No one mentioned that he started the day 3 back. This was not the Norman 96 Masters or DJ 2010 US Open.

Reactions: knightfan7
Love reading all the story how Rory lost the lead late to lose the US Open. No one mentioned that he started the day 3 back. This was not the Norman 96 Masters or DJ 2010 US Open.
Missing two 3-foot gimmie putts to lose the major was very Norman'esqe.

Now it appears there still is no agreement between PGA and LIV.

LIV will pluck a few more stars, watering down the PGA further but no one will really care and watch LIV and both tours will languish as fan engagement in pro golf drops further outside of a handful of events. At some point, even the Saudi's will begin to wonder if it's time to start rolling this thing back.

BD missed the same short putt on the 15th. Rory was just returning the favor. But it’s not remotely close to Norman in 96.

Maybe but Rory had a two shot lead and bogeyed 3 of the four remaining holes. He made a tactical error on 15, two missed bunny putts, etc.

That's a collapse. Seems like hair splitting arguing if its Norman-esque or not. It was a major collapse regardless of how you want to categorize it.

Reactions: Section124

LIV will pluck a few more stars, watering down the PGA further but no one will really care and watch LIV and both tours will languish as fan engagement in pro golf drops further outside of a handful of events. At some point, even the Saudi's will begin to wonder if it's time to start rolling this thing back.
The biggest problem for LIV is that no want wants to watch it. Did the Rahm signing add anything for them?

Maybe but Rory had a two shot lead and bogeyed 3 of the four remaining holes. He made a tactical error on 15, two missed bunny putts, etc.

That's a collapse. Seems like hair splitting arguing if its Norman-esque or not. It was a major collapse regardless of how you want to categorize it.
LOL. Everyone loves to bring up the 2 shot lead stat. Rory was a hole ahead of BD and took the 2 shot lead after he made birdie on the drivable 13. The 2 shot lead lasted like 10 min after BD birdie the same hole. BD made the same bogey on 15th and missed the a bunny putt. Like I said before, there are no gimme putts at US Open. Rory made it exciting but starting 3 back and getting no help from BD, it was a tall order.

Missing two 3-foot gimmie putts to lose the major was very Norman'esqe.
That putt on 18 was a downhill 3'9" one with over a cup of break (as we saw)...that might be a "gimmie" when you're playing with your crew, but I don't know how anyone sees it as a gimmie on the 72nd hole of a US Open with greens running over 13. Guys were 3 putting from that length throughout the week.

Reactions: RU848789
That putt on 18 was a downhill 3'9" one with over a cup of break (as we saw)...that might be a "gimmie" when you're playing with your crew, but I don't know how anyone sees it as a gimmie on the 72nd hole of a US Open with greens running over 13. Guys were 3 putting from that length throughout the week.

Rahm agrees with you. But most people will never play at a course with greens like that. Very difficult for them to understand.

ETA Rory’s mistake was chipping it pass the hole. He needed a par and should’ve left himself a makeable uphill putt.

His last putt was definitely not a bunny putt.

Rahm agrees with you. But most people will never play at a course with greens like that. Very difficult for them to understand.

ETA Rory’s mistake was chipping it pass the hole. He needed a par and should’ve left himself a makeable uphill putt.
That's fair. I will trust Rahm on this.

A couple of comments on this:

1) I don't see any other big stars going at this point. I was 100% on Rahm was going (since he seemed PO'd at the tour for a while) but think the momentum has shifted due to my #2 below.
2) I said this from the beginning, but LIV doesn't play enough for these guys. Guys like DJ, Koepka, Bryson, Rahm, etc. need routine and a schedule. LIV events are too far apart to keep these guys engaged. That is why most were hoping for an agreement. PGA Tour season is too long and required too many weeks for most.
3) While watching a LIV event recently, LIV really gutted that next tier of guys from the tour (like 20th-60th best overall). That is why the PGA Tour events have been ho-hum. PGA Tour needs these guys back to get some juice.

A couple of comments on this:

1) I don't see any other big stars going at this point. I was 100% on Rahm was going (since he seemed PO'd at the tour for a while) but think the momentum has shifted due to my #2 below.
2) I said this from the beginning, but LIV doesn't play enough for these guys. Guys like DJ, Koepka, Bryson, Rahm, etc. need routine and a schedule. LIV events are too far apart to keep these guys engaged. That is why most were hoping for an agreement. PGA Tour season is too long and required too many weeks for most.
3) While watching a LIV event recently, LIV really gutted that next tier of guys from the tour (like 20th-60th best overall). That is why the PGA Tour events have been ho-hum. PGA Tour needs these guys back to get some juice.
Outside of Rahm, BD and BK, who is really going to add juice to th tour? BK is not having a good year.

Outside of Rahm, BD and BK, who is really going to add juice to th tour? BK is not having a good year.
I think you have to give BK a break due to the birth of his kid...and lack of reps. Also juice was probably the wrong word.

My point is that losing guys like Ancer, Bryson, Gooch, Grace, Hatton, DJ, Brooks, Niemann, Rahm, Reed (yes, even him and I hate him), Schwartzel and Cam Smith hurt the depth of the tour. Outside of Rahm and Bryson, none are world beaters but most would be in contention in a lot of events. Ratings say the guys that replaced them haven't moved the needle either. An agreement would help a lot.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
A group of protestors just stormed the 18th green at the Travelers while the final group was preparing to finish up. No idea yet what they’re protesting, but what a bunch of a holes.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
aholes-taz-assholes-everywhere.gif

Apparently the protestors were part of the climate extremist group Extinction Rebellion.

Really hope they don’t start this stuff here, they’re very active in Europe and are a bunch of colossal losers who make people tune out climate change.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
What happened to Korda? Shoots 81 to miss the cut. Yikes!!!
On Friday she tried to hit a fairway metal out of the deep rough. She went all downhill from there. She's tired and needs a break. Also, that is not the easiest of courses. Tight with a lot of trees and deep rough. You have an off week and you are history.

I think you have to give BK a break due to the birth of his kid...and lack of reps. Also juice was probably the wrong word.

My point is that losing guys like Ancer, Bryson, Gooch, Grace, Hatton, DJ, Brooks, Niemann, Rahm, Reed (yes, even him and I hate him), Schwartzel and Cam Smith hurt the depth of the tour. Outside of Rahm and Bryson, none are world beaters but most would be in contention in a lot of events. Ratings say the guys that replaced them haven't moved the needle either. An agreement would help a lot.
Most of the replacements are young and need time to become well known. The other issue is well liked players like Fowler, Thomas, Spieth, and Finau aren't exactly lighting it up. Right now you have top players like Scheffler, Schauffele, Morikawa, and Cantlay. None of whom are big personality guys. That's where the Tour misses Rahm, Dechambeau, and Hatton. Koepka is up there in both play and personality because he's never shyed from an opinion.

Rahm getting pissy over the drone in his backswing was funny.

It's a different world out there on LIV, Jon.

Today at the Rocket Mortgage, Chris Gotterup was 5 Under on his last 9 with the cut projected to be -2. He then bogeyed his 14th and 15th, dropping to -3. With it looking like the cut would move to -3 and perhaps -4, he hit his tee shot over the green on the Par 3 9th, his last hole. He then proceeded to hole out the shot from off the green for a Birdie and -4 for 36 holes. The projected cut is now -3 and may indeed go to -4.

@Section124

Decided to game the MX-23 permanently. Well, until I’m ready for the upgrade JPX923. Traded in my PXG 0211 for Callaway AI 3W. and 5W. They had a great X2 trade in value where I got 72% recovery after 2.5 years used.

Reactions: Section124
@Section124

Decided to game the MX-23 permanently. Well, until I’m ready for the upgrade JPX923. Traded in my PXG 0211 for Callaway AI 3W. and 5W. They had a great X2 trade in value where I got 72% recovery after 2.5 years used.
I don't blame you. I gave mine to my nephew since he was new to the game 2 years ago. Now he's already a single digit. He first used my old JPX800's and now progressed to the MX-23's. He loves them. I told him I need them back when he gets fitted for new irons eventually. I plan to have them re-shafted. It's amazing that 20 year old irons are better than most today.

I do love my MP-223's. I have a JPX-923 forged 4 iron since I hate hybrids. I did recently get fitted for a PING 430 5W and 4H. Love the 5W but still learning how to hit the 4H.

Sounds like you have been playing nice courses lately. I'm jealous. I have been taking time this year to play public courses I always wanted to, but for some reason never got there. Recently played Hudson Hills in Ossing NY (very nice but quirky course) and Flanders Valley (Blue/White). Need to play the Red/Gold there next. Fun course and I think I used all the clubs in my bag. I like those kinds of courses.

Reactions: jtung230
I don't blame you. I gave mine to my nephew since he was new to the game 2 years ago. Now he's already a single digit. He first used my old JPX800's and now progressed to the MX-23's. He loves them. I told him I need them back when he gets fitted for new irons eventually. I plan to have them re-shafted. It's amazing that 20 year old irons are better than most today.

I do love my MP-223's. I have a JPX-923 forged 4 iron since I hate hybrids. I did recently get fitted for a PING 430 5W and 4H. Love the 5W but still learning how to hit the 4H.

Sounds like you have been playing nice courses lately. I'm jealous. I have been taking time this year to play public courses I always wanted to, but for some reason never got there. Recently played Hudson Hills in Ossing NY (very nice but quirky course) and Flanders Valley (Blue/White). Need to play the Red/Gold there next. Fun course and I think I used all the clubs in my bag. I like those kinds of courses.
I’m playing Essex County CC tomorrow. They just reopened after redoing a few holes. My two favorite public courses are Mansion Ridge and Architects. Also like Skyway for 9.

I’m playing Essex County CC tomorrow. They just reopened after redoing a few holes. My two favorite public courses are Mansion Ridge and Architects. Also like Skyway for 9.
I saw the pictures of ECCC in the latest NJ Golf magazine. Looks nice. Enjoy it! I love both Mansion Ridge and Architects as well. Haven't played Skyway yet, but looks fun. In regards to Mansion Ridge, we usually play Blue front / white back due to all the forced carries. Haven't played it in a few years but will later this month with my buds.

I caddied at ECCC Fr thru Jr in HS. Played it as much as they'd let us.

Unless they've changed again, the first 6 holes are the original Tillinghast design. My favorite holes to play were 6-9, and 11-12.

I saw the pictures of ECCC in the latest NJ Golf magazine. Looks nice. Enjoy it! I love both Mansion Ridge and Architects as well. Haven't played Skyway yet, but looks fun. In regards to Mansion Ridge, we usually play Blue front / white back due to all the forced carries. Haven't played it in a few years but will later this month with my buds.
The pace of play is an issue at MR because of the force carry on the back. I enjoyed Nicholas designed courses.

Unless they've changed again, the first 6 holes are the original Tillinghast design. My favorite holes to play were 6-9, and 11-12.
I know they definitely changed the 1st hole. I hate 18 because the false front is like 60 yd roll back.

Round was moved to Montclair GC. ECCC closed the 18th to prep for fireworks. Will report back next time I play there.

I know they definitely changed the 1st hole. I hate 18 because the false front is like 60 yd roll back.
Hated walking up that hill carrying 2 bags that each weighed almost as much as me😅.

Chris Gotterup is in the Scottish Open field.

In the 6 events since winning Myrtle, he's missed the cut 4 times and finished 61st and 67th. He's also dropped almost 20 spots in the FedEx standings so without something spectacular, likely out of the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT