ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 PGA Tour thread. Update Bryson DeChambeau will not win the Player of the Year!! 🤣

Ah maybe that what he was doing. I didn't see him actually put but his putter was very long.

I'd like to see putter grips required to match the grips used on other clubs. The grip of the hands not the physical installed grip.
He who gets up at four AM to golf. He Putz

Disagree. The Players is still the Players. Jack's tournament is huge. The LIV players knew the consequences. I don't watch many tournaments anymore but the Players, Jack's and Arnie's are must watch and mean something. Xander has two great wins but that's it. He has lost 6 times to Scotty.
XS vs. SS is a far more interesting discussion than SS vs. BD. I get what you're saying about a trove of impressive wins by Scottie, but I bet if you asked Jack, he'd give the nod to Xander based on winning 2 majors, plus he has had 10 top-tens this year, so it's not like he just had 2 great tournaments and tanked the rest. Since 1990, every golfer who ever won 2 majors in a year has won the Nicklaus award for player of the year (except Faldo, who wasn't on the PGA tour), although few have had years like SS. Tough call - I give the nod slightly to Xander, since, at the end of the day, most people just remember majors and XS got two this year.

And for our resident troll, DeChambeau isn't even in the conversation for POY.

https://apnews.com/article/xander-s...en-fedex-cup-060f87814659ecf1151ce2643d8daf21

XS vs. SS is a far more interesting discussion than SS vs. BD. I get what you're saying about a trove of impressive wins by Scottie, but I bet if you asked Jack, he'd give the nod to Xander based on winning 2 majors, plus he has had 10 top-tens this year, so it's not like he just had 2 great tournaments and tanked the rest. Since 1990, every golfer who ever won 2 majors in a year has won the Nicklaus award for player of the year (except Faldo, who wasn't on the PGA tour), although few have had years like SS. Tough call - I give the nod slightly to Xander, since, at the end of the day, most people just remember majors and XS got two this year.

And for our resident troll, DeChambeau isn't even in the conversation for POY.

https://apnews.com/article/xander-s...en-fedex-cup-060f87814659ecf1151ce2643d8daf21
First of all to even have this discussion before the FedEx is kinda stupid. Of course Jack, Arnie etc would rather have two majors over any other win but that isn't what the award is about. Scheffler has had a much better year then Xander. It is a year long award not a 4 tournament award. In 1980 Jack won the Open and PGA Championship. 2 major wins and nothing else. Tom Watson won with just 1 major. Same rules should apply today.

I saw a poll on X yesterday by Golf Digest. It was pretty much 50/50 between SS & XS for POY. The 2 majors by XS makes it much closer. I still give a slight edge to SS right now but think the PGA Tour wins (even at the Players and Memorial) are watered down somewhat. Edge to Scottie because he beat XS in those.

People say it’s water down but XS plays in the same water down tournaments. BD plays in the most water down league and still can’t win.

Reactions: knightfan7
In LIV many of the top names have won this year (Niemann (twice), Brooks, DJ, Ancer Hatton and even Sergio). It's no cakewalk for BD or JR to win a week. SS dominating the PGAT first half of the year. Need more top guys to step up.

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
In LIV many of the top names have won this year (Niemann (twice), Brooks, DJ, Ancer Hatton and even Sergio). It's no cakewalk for BD or JR to win a week. SS dominating the PGAT first half of the year. Need more top guys to step up.
That’s LIV. Top names but not top golfers. No one else was a factor in any of majors.

That’s LIV. Top names but not top golfers. No one else was a factor in any of majors.
I am not here to defend any of the LIV guys. They would be the first to tell you they didn't play well at the majors except for BD at the US Open. Brooks was the only top LIV guy to make the cut in all the majors. Rahm made an early run on Sunday.

Looking at The Open leaderboard, I don't really think any tour can crow their top players showed up. Rose, Horschel and Henley not exactly bringing eyeballs to the event. Which may be why it was the lowest ranked Open in some time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT