ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Overtime Elite?

rufeelinit

Heisman Winner
May 16, 2010
I saw this in the Athletic today. I was not familiar with this initiative and assume it is the next segment of efforts to establish an alternative to college for high caliber HS players. My sense is this will be one notch below the players offered to play on the Ignite Development Team in the G League. Ollie is well suited for this role since he will not have worry about complying with NCAA rules which did not appear to be his strength. While this may impact the quality of college basketball to a limited to degree, I think this is good thing for kids who were looking for a one and done college experience. The excerpt below is from a larger article in the Athletic. Hopefully by providing attribution I am not violating any copyright laws.

Former Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie is joining Overtime Elite, an upcoming professional basketball league for top high school prospects, as the inaugural head coach and head of player development. Overtime Elite, which will launch in September 2021, is a new league that will feature up to 30 of the top high school juniors and seniors globally. Athletes will receive a guaranteed minimum $100,000 salary and can profit off of their names, images and likenesses. The league will also provide a direct-instruction education model “led by individual instructors who teach both 1:1 and in small group sessions featuring a 4:1 student-teacher ratio,” according to the league’s website. There will also be additional financial literacy, social justice advocacy and media training. The location, schedule and rosters for the league have not been announced.

How will this model work? People are still going to watch college and/or NBA. Where will they get the money to pay them 100K

Love it. NCAA needs some competition, been a corporation that has run uncontested for too long. I’m glad Overtime is making a big splash into this league. Hopefully they’ll be willing to incur the debts that come about due to starting a new league but in a few years, it would be pretty cool if this league succeeded.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Love it. NCAA needs some competition, been a corporation that has run uncontested for too long. I’m glad Overtime is making a big splash into this league. Hopefully they’ll be willing to incur the debts that come about due to starting a new league but in a few years, it would be pretty cool if this league succeeded.
I would love to remove the 1 and dpnes from college sports so this is cool. But I don't think it will survive and in the end it might hurt more kids than it helps if kids think they are ready for TGE pros and see that $100k salary and opt for that instead of college - only to get cut and now cant play in college either.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
The NCAA doesn’t need competition. Kids who are looking for a career in basketball need a place to play and get paid. I don’t think college basketball is a place they should be.

As said above, I think the elite HS seniors-NBA prospects would prefer the G-League team:
1. Official relationship with NBA
2. Proof of concept already established with Jalen Green and Kuminga projected as Top 5 picks.

Next level down recruits may (Top 100ish) may opt for this new league.
It really depends on the NBA vets they get to play alongside the youngsters.

As said above, I think the elite HS seniors-NBA prospects would prefer the G-League team:
1. Official relationship with NBA
2. Proof of concept already established with Jalen Green and Kuminga projected as Top 5 picks.

Next level down recruits may (Top 100ish) may opt for this new league.
It really depends on the NBA vets they get to play alongside the youngsters.
there could be 100,000 reasons why they may not choose G league.

Reactions: NickRU714
Basketball just needs to go the college/minors route like baseball and hockey already.

The ONLY basketball I watch is Rutgers and some other college games which peak my interest level. Do not see the value in watching “B “ level basketball and/or paying for it. I don’t watch MLB anymore these players get injured trimming their toenails.They are super athletes being paid millions who breakdown daily even walking to the bathroom. Ask the Yankees how that works for them. The next thing you will see is high school elite players wanting $$$$ to play. In this world it is definitely plausible to see that down the road.

Unless someone lives in an area with no college or decent high school basketball games to go to, who is going to go to minor league basketball games on a consistent basis?Years ago, I went to a USBL Jersey Jammers game at William Paterson. There wasn’t a lick of defense. It was like watching the old UNLV teams play an intra squad scrimmage. There were MAYBE 150 fans. The only minor league team I can remember that ever drew well was the Albany Patroons of the CBA. I just don’t know where they are going to get ticket buyers. Maybe if someone is from Michigan and they end up in Columbus, Ohio and they hate Ohio State and don’t go to high school games, they might go a couple times a year to see the Columbus Cows.

It will not be competition. No one will watch unless a guy like Lebron shows up.

Curious how this league intends to make money. Selling rights to the most promising players to the NBA and other professional leagues?
Just a guess, but I think agent funding is one of the ways revenue comes in.
The agents that pay get a chance to sign the players.
Players contract gives their signing rights to the agents that contribute and players can only choose who represents them from the ones that pay Elite for exclusive rights.
Players can sign endorsement contracts, but Elite gets a percentage of their endorsement. money.
Selling jerseys and other league merchandise might bring in some money and never know if a video game will be made that Elite gets a percentage of sales..

Overseas pro leagues might make a deal that gives them the rights to sign players that Elite owns contractual rights to and those players don't get on a NBA teams roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT