ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State approves $700 million stadium upgrade

RUforlife

All Conference
Oct 27, 2002
I would say the good people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have their spending priorities in order (sarcastic). Hard to legitimately compete with a population that is willing to spend that type of money on a college football program while their major cities are overrun with crime and drugs.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I would say the good people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have their spending priorities in order (sarcastic). Hard to legitimately compete with a population that is willing to spend that type of money on a college football program while their major cities are overrun with crime and drugs.

Did they defund the police? Otherwise why not give every student, perhaps except for the OOS traitors from NJ, a $500 tuition break?

Reactions: WhiteBus
I don't know, $700 mil to start, don't forget the cost overruns, paid for by donations, concessions, and tickets, not really buying it. At the end of the day, I would bet the farm in Belleville that there will be taxpayer funds involved.
Maybe. But perhaps we should wait until they request state money before denouncing them for using state money.

Maybe. But perhaps we should wait until they request state money before denouncing them for using state money.
It is a little too late at that point, the best time to protect the taxpayers is before these boondoggle projects start. Once they begin spending $s they tend to take on a life of their own.

Reactions: RUScrew85
It is a little too late at that point, the best time to protect the taxpayers is before these boondoggle projects start. Once they begin spending $s they tend to take on a life of their own.
Fine, but your original post gave the impression that the project is designed to use state money. It isn't.

Reactions: RutgersSC
Fine, but your original post gave the impression that the project is designed to use state money. It isn't.
The University is a STATE university. Of course it's state money, one way or another, because a state entity will be spending it... no matter how they collect it. State employees and venues will be used to raise the money... one way or another.

But I have no problem with it. Good for them. They should take all their NIL money and put it into that stadium instead. 👿

Wait, now we don't want the state to contribute funds towards athletics renovations?
Fundraising should go towards the general university fund or tuition refund and not spent by Athletics?

Am I being punked? Where's Aston Kutcher?
Or is this another "I'm outraged!!! Unless it was happening to Rutgers. Then it's not only okay but encouraged."

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...rs-athletics-facilities-upgrades/65364934007/

Reactions: Kbee3
The University is a STATE university. Of course it's state money, one way or another, because a state entity will be spending it... no matter how they collect it. State employees and venues will be used to raise the money... one way or another.

But I have no problem with it. Good for them. They should take all their NIL money and put it into that stadium instead. 👿
Rutgers is also a state university. By your reasoning, every penny that goes into athletics here is state money. But that treats money that comes from private donations to athletics or from ticket revenue the same as taxpayer money. I'm sure you'll agree they're not the same.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Yes it is. It will be a bond guaranteed by the state, just like Rutgers on the last expansion. Unfortunately Rutgers is still on the hook for paying every dime. Penn State will not. Different states and different results

Reactions: Fat Koko
Yes it is. It will be a bond guaranteed by the state, just like Rutgers on the last expansion. Unfortunately Rutgers is still on the hook for paying every dime. Penn State will not. Different states and different results
I'm curious as to what your source on either (a) that it's a bond guaranteed by the state;or (b) that bond payment will be treated differently from the Rutgers bond.

They care about their school

I wish we cared nearly that amount, but without caring enough to condone child rape

A few things from the article

1. Nobody recognizes it as the best stadium in America

2. Without a roof, it’s doubtful they’ll be hosting playoff gamesz

3. Pics look good, big improvement. Which is good bc, right now, the place is a dump that looks like it was put together by a blindfolded toddler

Reactions: ManasquanMike
You do not know wtf you are talking about - just another bunch of negative thoughts disguised as fact.

Upgrades? Why not just build a new one?

$700M for an UPGRADE??!!

What would a new stadium in the middle of Pensyltucky cost?

Reactions: WhiteBus

A couple of points.

Penn State like Pitt and Temple is a "State Related" University.

The State Related status gives the University a significant amount of autonomy. The Commonwealth can only appoint 35% of Penn State Board of directors while Penn State appoints 65% of the remaining Board.

Pennsylvania also has a true State University System of Schools (Originally 14 schools). Over the last several years (Due to significant decreases in student body) the State University System was financially forced to consolidate the schools/programs. The Pa. State School System now consists of only 10 Schools. Three state schools in Western Pa were consolidated into one (Penn West) and three schools in Eastern Pa were consolidated into one (Penn East).

Penn State which has 20 Branch Campuses is now facing significant financial distress due to significant student body declines at most of its branch campuses. In fact, they are asking profs to retire early in an attempt to reduce the financial difficulties at the Branch Campuses. The State University System was confronted with the same problems that Penn State is facing now and their answer was explained above. Penn State wants more money from the State but you can be sure Pitt and Temple will have their hands out asking for more also.
It is hard to ask for increased funding from the state when you have $700 million for a revamped stadium which will be used only 7 times a year maybe for 28 hours total.

Student body decline is not unique to Penn State. In fact most university systems face the same problems due to a decrease in the number students graduating from high school and less high school students wanting to go to college (double wammy).

Pitt fortunately only had 4 Branch Campuses to deal with and in essence had to close one (Titusville).

Money spent on Research Facilities (used 24/7) rather than Football Stadiums (used 7 times per year) have a better ROI

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking too. They could build a Jerry's World type building for $700 million in East Bumble****, PA

Met Life cost 1.6 billion 15 years ago and has a seating capacity 20-25000 smaller. It would likely cost over 2 billion now.

Met Life cost 1.6 billion 15 years ago and has a seating capacity 20-25000 smaller. It would likely cost over 2 billion now.
Because it's in NJ/NY and heavily unionized. Jerry built his Stadium for less and it has a retractable dome, without it the price would have been way under a billion.

Because it's in NJ/NY and heavily unionized. Jerry built his Stadium for less and it has a retractable dome, without it the price would have been way under a billion.

But it still cost 1.2 billion, not 700 mil.

And Jerry’s World opened in 2009 — 15 years ago. I think we’ve had a little bit of inflation since then.
It has a retractable dome, dope. Penn State doesn't need a dome! They costs a boatload of money to include. That's why the Giants said no. Too expensive for NJ/NY construction

It has a retractable dome, dope. Penn State doesn't need a dome! They costs a boatload of money to include. That's why the Giants said no. Too expensive for NJ/NY construction
I’m merely making the point that AT&T Stadium has been open since 2009 and things are more expensive now than they were then. That’s it.

And don’t call me dope.

• Haha
Reactions: miket007
I’m merely making the point that AT&T Stadium has been open since 2009 and things are more expensive now than they were then. That’s it.

And don’t call me dope.
Apparently you don't know the cost of that dome in Dallas. Or the fact he got $350 million from Arlington

Apparently you don't know the cost of that dome in Dallas. Or the fact he got $350 million from Arlington
That’s not the point I’m making….at all.

Again, my only point: 2024 costs are very different than 2009 costs.

That’s not the point I’m making….at all.

Again, my only point: 2024 costs are very different than 2009 costs.
Yes but you're ignoring the difference between a 100,000 seat dome stadium with a very expensive dome and a college stadium not being built with a dome and the biggest TVs on earth in an area that is non union. That's why you are a dope. You're are comparing costs to aged steaks to ground beef.

Yes but you're ignoring the difference between a 100,000 seat dome stadium with a very expensive dome and a college stadium not being built with a dome and the biggest TVs on earth in an area that is non union. That's why you are a dope. You're are comparing costs to aged steaks to ground beef.
No Bus, I’m not. I’m not even talking about difference in stadiums…you are. Which is fine.

2024 is not 2009. That is my singular point.

I’m done here…and I’m not going to stoop to your level and start insulting you.

No Bus, I’m not. I’m not even talking about difference in stadiums…you are. Which is fine.

2024 is not 2009. That is my singular point.

I’m done here…and I’m not going to stoop to your level and start insulting you.
Again you have no clue of the cost of a dome. Do some research sometime before you post nonsense. Goggle is free and fast. And you are comparing things that are completely unrelated!

Again you have no clue of the cost of a dome. Do some research sometime before you post nonsense. Goggle is free and fast. And you are comparing things that are completely unrelated!
Is this the Twilight Zone? I’m not talking about a dome, an open air stadium, or anything else. I’m talking about 2024 costs not being similar to 2009 costs regardless of any type of building.

I know you’ll have some sort of irrelevant comeback post, but you can have the last word. This is an insane conversation.

Is this the Twilight Zone? I’m not talking about a dome, an open air stadium, or anything else. I’m talking about 2024 costs not being similar to 2009 costs regardless of any type of building.

I know you’ll have some sort of irrelevant comeback post, but you can have the last word. This is an insane conversation.
I know your are but you are lazy and actually not looking about AT&T costs to build that stadium with a dome and the costs are out of this world to build it with that dome. Nearly 45% of costs to build it. Second you are clueless about labor costs in different areas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT