ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State football’s academics rank at the bottom of Big Ten after worst score in a decade

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Success with Honor!!! Weeee ARRR, derp.

Where is NJ.com on this story?
"Penn State’s football team’s academic rating plummeted to its lowest point in more than a decade, placing the Nittany Lions in last place among Big Ten gridiron teams."
Franklin reacts:

F5H4K3WPR5FIHMRXOALKGIDK2U.jpg

Penn State fans are better than our fans where it counts. They donated 3 times as much as Rutgers alums/boosters. We are dead last in the BIG.
Penn State has a 100,000 seat stadium that's full for every home game.
See what winning will get you.

Reactions: ruronny
Do academics even count anymore? College football at this point is at the semi professional level now about to go fully professional. Affiliations with schools are almost at the point of being merely business deals.
The only people that care seem to be people on this board . Fans of these other schools don’t even care . The environment is just to win , that’ the way it is and what we should strive for

The only people that care seem to be people on this board . Fans of these other schools don’t even care . The environment is just to win , that’ the way it is and what we should strive for
blazing saddles no GIF

Awful take, but you are entitled to your wrong opinion. I can assure you that Greg, his coaching staff and the major donors like the Rodkins who donated to build the academic success center disagree with you. Being cool or flashy rarely gets you anywhere in life.

I am not saying Penn State not doing well in the classroom but you can't tell based on the APR. It really is lazy journalism not to dig deeper why the score is low.

APR is the dumbest measurement. The NCAA came up with it to hide embarrassing low graduation rates. You can actually have a 0% graduation rate while still having a high APR. Here is the reason why it a joke. A player who is academically ineligible but remains on the roster counts scores the same way as a player who academically is eligible but decide to transfer for playing time.

For Example

Team A

85 players all eligible for the spring=85 points
20 players transfer and 65 remain on the roster for the spring=65 points
APR score is 150 points out of 170 possible=882 APR

Team B
65 players are eligible for the spring=65 points
85 players return on the roster for the spring=85

So both teams have the same APR yet every single player on Team A is getting the job done in the classroom yet has the same score as Team B who has 20 players who couldn't even meet the NCAA academic minimum. So tell me how does this measure academic progress?

apr_explain_new.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RCBeta79
Awful take, but you are entitled to your wrong opinion. I can assure you that Greg, his coaching staff and the major donors like the Rodkins who donated to build the academic success center disagree with you. Being cool or flashy rarely gets you anywhere in life.
Don't kid yourself schools spend tons of money on the centers for one reason and that to keep these kids eligible and on the field. A large percentage of these kids academically have no business in any of these schools. They spend millions on them just to keep the kids eligible. If the NCAA eliminated the academic standards these funding would be pulled from these centers very quickly.

I am not saying Penn State not doing well in the classroom but you can't tell based on the APR. It really is lazy journalism not to dig deeper why the score is low.

APR is the dumbest measurement. The NCAA came up with it to hide embarrassing low graduation rates. You can actually have a 0% graduation rate while still having a high APR. Here is the reason why it a joke. A player who is academically ineligible but remains on the roster counts scores the same way as a player who academically is eligible but decide to transfer for playing time.

For Example

Team A

Team B

So both teams have the same APR yet every single player on Team A is getting the job done in the classroom yet has the same score as Team B who has 20 players who couldn't even meet the NCAA academic minimum. So tell me how does this measure academic progress?
You may be right, but two separate points. The NCAA continues to show their worthlessness, like when they let PSU and MSU off the hook when more severe penalties were warranted.

Second and unrelated, it's nice to see a local publication that is not NJ.com writing a critical story about their college football team.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I would rather have a stupid football team that is top 10 and spanks Rutgers every year. Don’t need football players to be magma cum laude.

blazing saddles no GIF

Surely , we are grateful for all the big donors. I would think donors want the semipro teams they donate to win, and maybe even some kids even get that quality education.
When was the last time 30k rutgers fans showed up to watch a kid read his expos paper ?
In semipro sports, the program js judged by our record on the field . Nothing less, nothing more. We know that. You know this too.

Kids are getting paid 6-7 figures in NIL to play football and we are still pretending academics matter in 2023? I hate defending those idiots but come on.
A small handful of kids are getting paid 6-7 figures. Let's not let a small fraction of football players represent the entire group.
Are you saying your Rutgers education was useless to where you are now in life? Or are you successful because you played footall?

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Surely , we are grateful for all the big donors. I would think donors want the semipro teams they donate to win, and maybe even some kids even get that quality education.
When was the last time 30k rutgers fans showed up to watch a kid read his expos paper ?
In semipro sports, the program js judged by our record on the field . Nothing less, nothing more. We know that. You know this too.
You are been purposefully obtuse and throwing out ridiculous scenarios that fail to support your point. Maybe all of the idiots who like to beat their chests on social media think the way you do. Don't tell me what I know. I've been told multiple times by people deep inside the program (coaches and staff) that life after football is important to them.

Now it makes sense, PSU fan. Stay on point, pal, instead of berating RU fans.
Ok Mr all of my money is allocated to Rutgers R for the next 5 years. You’re the typical Rutgers fan high on opinion but low on any actual support. We are last in the entire conference. Our fans are cheap and have shown it in every effort this University has tried to raise money.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Ok Mr all of my money is allocated to Rutgers R for the next 5 years. You’re the typical Rutgers fan high on opinion but low on any actual support. We are last in the entire conference. Our fans are cheap and have shown it in every effort this University has tried to raise money.
Listen I disagree with knight shift on this issue . But from what I read of his posts and the donor events he goes to, he’s a really good fan and supporter. We need more fans like him .

@365Poster24Seven is a loser troll and outed themselves (pronouns!!) as a PSU fan.
KS is a dumb boomer who automatically labels anyone who doesn’t instantly agree with him troll. He’s all about group think as long as it fits his narrative. He’s called at this point something like 20 posters on here trolls (it’s his default deflection and insult, the moment you make an argument he can’t counter he labels you a psu troll because he can’t actually have a back and forth conversation unless he feels he has the upper hand and can be on the ‘attack’)
He’s the only idiot who brags about using the ignore button as though that’s some kind of insult that you’re beneath him.

In conclusion, KS is a GIANT Douche

Do academics even count anymore? College football at this point is at the semi professional level now about to go fully professional. Affiliations with schools are almost at the point of being merely business deals.
This…. Do you really think Micah Parsons gave a hoot about academics?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I would take a team of 2.0 basketweaving majors who win 9/10 games a year over a team of 3.5 business and engineering majors who win 3-5 games a year every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Who gives a rat's ass about football players GPA's, just bring us a winner, please!

I would take a team of 2.0 basketweaving majors who win 9/10 games a year over a team of 3.5 business and engineering majors who win 3-5 games a year every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Who gives a rat's ass about football players GPA's, just bring us a winner, please!
I agree higher GPA’s and SAT’s are loser excuses for not getting it done on the field and as fans for being the cheapest fanbase in our conference. We were probably the cheapest fanbase in every conference we ever belonged to. Most die hards just spend most of there days here because they are old bored geezers and then you have the loser CE board who all have over 180 thousand posts.

Reactions: Plum Street
This…. Do you really think Micah Parsons gave a hoot about academics?
Neither does 90% of college football players. Even with a whole team of tutors and academic advisors only 64% of college football players will graduate after 6 years. Basketball is even worse as only 45% will graduate. For example Huggins at Cincy never had a 13% graduation rate for African American players.

Man, are you rooting for the wrong team.
Rutgers is so far behind its competition partially because it hasn't ever embraced a "just win" philosophy. I think most of its fans still agree with that attitude.

Reactions: thegock

For Example

Team A

Team B

apr_explain_new.jpg
Oh, is this about APR? I didn't click. Agreed that it's dumb the way it's calculated.

Duke fans beat us up at Maryland in the early 2000's because Maryland had a really low one, so I used to know details about it...

Give me success on the field over success in the classroom any day of the week.
shame is, thinking like that leads to players not taking advantage of the educational opportunities their scholarships give them because their coaches and school's fanbase only care about wins..

MY OPINION
Even with the NIL BS going on now, college football should be played by student athletes that have to be qualified academically, even if a NIL made them rich enough to buy their own program.

Opinions like yours only means you want college football be more like the pro game and not even try to give the illusion college sports programs are part of a college and student life, but only a minor league pro sport located on it's campus

Reactions: rumarine
I agree higher GPA’s and SAT’s are loser excuses for not getting it done on the field and as fans for being the cheapest fanbase in our conference. We were probably the cheapest fanbase in every conference we ever belonged to. Most die hards just spend most of there days here because they are old bored geezers and then you have the loser CE board who all have over 180 thousand posts.
But do you want a degree from Duke or Bama? I don’t know how anyone is ok with their school being associated with morons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT