ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Philadelphia passes soda tax the bastards

The nanny state...it is coming...government knows what it's best for you! When Hill becomes prez ([sick]) expect more of that crap but at the federal level! Remember...govt knows best![winking]

The overall diet in America is a joke. Go to pretty much any other country. Should be a tax on soda, fast food, etc. Fat people are expensive.
fat%20tax.gif

Do the cans have tax stamps on them?

Bringing in Coke from New Jersey? That's bootlegging.

Will only hurt local merchant's soda sales.

Whether it's the truth or not, proponents of this tax weren't pushing it for health reasons. Although that will be a likely side effect, the main purpose of the tax is to raise funds for the city's schools, specifically preschools, and parks system.

Reactions: theRU
The overall diet in America is a joke. Go to pretty much any other country. Should be a tax on soda, fast food, etc. Fat people are expensive.
its not the governments problem. They find a reason to impose a financial burden on the taxpayer in order to pay for more BS that they dont need or can't afford.

This isn't the government saying , " Wow, people are getting fat. this is a problem. Lets tweak our education programs to include healthy eating and nutritional education". Its actually the opposite. 20 years ago, they killed cooking classes, eliminated fresh foods from cafeterias which contributed to obesity. Now they have budget shortfalls and looking for any reason that they could mobilize the sheep to support tax increases.

As a Philly resident, I am for this tax. This isn't NYC trying to ban large drinks. If you want to drink 100 ounces of sugary drinks per day here, feel free. No one is going to stop you or say you can't. But you'll do so while pumping money into the schools. I see it as no different from the cigarette tax that has been so effective here.

That will work itself out eventually but the fact is, cigarettes tax probably saved millions and help slowed the rising healthcare cost.

Seriously? Health care costs have slowed since 1998?

The Master Settlement was signed in 1998. The states sold $64 billion in tobacco bonds to monetize the settlement in 2001/2002. Then in the financial crisis in 2008, the states pumped up the tobacco tax to squeeze more money out of the tobacco companies. This led to a rapid decline in sales, which voided the Master Settlement. The states were then on the hook for the $64 billion that they sold in 2001/2002, thinking that tobacco revenue would always be there.

And now they've come for the deep pockets of the soda companies.

Seriously? Health care costs have slowed since 1998?

The Master Settlement was signed in 1998. The states sold $64 billion in tobacco bonds to monetize the settlement in 2001/2002. Then in the financial crisis in 2008, the states pumped up the tobacco tax to squeeze more money out of the tobacco companies. This led to a rapid decline in sales, which voided the Master Settlement. The states were then on the hook for the $64 billion that they sold in 2001/2002, thinking that tobacco revenue would always be there.

And now they've come for the deep pockets of the soda companies.
It would have risen even faster without the huge reduction of smokers over the decades regardless of the original intent.

Reactions: PhDKnight
Whether it's the truth or not, proponents of this tax weren't pushing it for health reasons. Although that will be a likely side effect, the main purpose of the tax is to raise funds for the city's schools, specifically preschools, and parks system.
How much of that money do you think will actually make it to the schools? I though Lotto was supposed to support our schools?

Wait until single payer arrives. You will be looking fondly on the days that it was just soda and cigs.

It all started with Whiskey in 1791
images

So what, then, is the purpose of the Second Amendment? To arm citizens (the rebellion) against an oppressive government? To arm a well-regulated militia (Washington's men; the US had no standing army then) to secure the state? Both? Neither? Since this is 1791, it seems to me this would be about as good an example of original intent in action as you could find.

(Fun fact: Washington in the Whiskey Rebellion is still the only sitting President to lead troops into battle.)

Somebody is afraid soda purchases will decline so let's make money before everyone becomes healthy. Seems like you should get a break for buying a larger soda, but no..... the Law of Diminishing Returns is nonexistent in this case.

This thread really spread into all the great places in a hurry.

"Sniffle ... a tax in a place most people on the board don't live."

"Waaaahhh ... nanny state."

"Taxing the POS cigarette industry out of existence" ... symbolic solitary tear rolls down cheek

Bravo, boys. Keep it up. It hasn't even been a full two hours yet. Imagine what you can do by morning.

Reactions: mildone and mal359
It's local government, they know what needed. If they tax soda like cigarettes, I would have to quit due to the price.

No pre school for the poor and close all the city parks.

It's local government, they know what needed. If they tax soda like cigarettes, I would have to quit due to the price.

No pre school for the poor and close all the city parks.
Again I ask do you think money ever goes to schools or parks? Well maybe year 1 it does.

Yeah that's what they say. I will fully admit I don't know the specifics, but if the local TV ads I've been seeing are true, a "yuge" amount of that money isn't even going to the stated purpose. Supporters have been positioning it as earmarked for pre-k, the "won't somebody please think of the children" spots ad nauseum. "Parks system" is a great way to bury millions of dollars to use for patronage jobs.

And by the way, it's not just a soda tax. It applies to juice too. Philly has finally figured out a way to tax the children.

So based on this article, "eventually about 6,500 additional tykes will be added to the rolls, we are told." It also says $41mm of the money goes to the city's general fund, which they can spend as they see fit- redecorating the mayor's office, hookers and blow, anything goes.
It also says to expect lawsuits, saying:
calling it "a thinly disguised sales tax," former Pennsylvania Chief Justice Ron Castille, in Wednesday's Inquirer, said that "only the state legislature can determine where and on what items a tax can be imposed."​
The disturbing thing is that now that it has passed here, barring an overturn in court, the tax stays forever, and some are predicting this could be the start of a national trend in this direction.

Unhealthy people cost the government a lot of money but I'm sure the government is doing this to fill a budget gap and not for the unhealthy people.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
So based on this article, "eventually about 6,500 additional tykes will be added to the rolls, we are told." It also says $41mm of the money goes to the city's general fund, which they can spend as they see fit- redecorating the mayor's office, hookers and blow, anything goes.
It also says to expect lawsuits, saying:
calling it "a thinly disguised sales tax," former Pennsylvania Chief Justice Ron Castille, in Wednesday's Inquirer, said that "only the state legislature can determine where and on what items a tax can be imposed."​
The disturbing thing is that now that it has passed here, barring an overturn in court, the tax stays forever, and some are predicting this could be the start of a national trend in this direction.
It is a horrible precedent. Any fatty food can be taxed for the good of the people. Whole milk, eggs, bread, london broil. Fat people may end up getting taxed by their over poundage for their own good. Prius owners might be taxed to save the environment, an environment tax. Those cars are full of toxic sulphuric acid which can destroy the environment.

Reactions: czxqa
Is this better or worse that the massive 23 cent gas tax increase NJ legislators are trying to ram through?

How does Big Soda make money on the backs of poor people? Water is cheaper than soda, the poor people can buy water. The politicians always ride the over burdened backs of the working class. The politicians will use the money to give themselves bigger salaries as they pat themselves on the back for finding new money.

Is this better or worse that the massive 23 cent gas tax increase NJ legislators are trying to ram through?
I think it is the exact same thing. With psychological manipulation the politicians will make you think that 23 cents is a great deal. Much better than the dollar tax that they originally wanted and all the money is going to be used to fix the roads you drive on not to give themselves raises.

Another reason to tax fatties is, they are harder on the roads. Their fat asses crack the shit out of the pavement. I am a non-diet coke drinker and I am not an ounce over weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT