ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Philly Recommendations

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
Visiting Philly this weekend and looking for things to do that might be different from the usual Libery Bell or Congressional Hall

Also, would love it anyone knew of a site that has restaurant deals ( besides Groupon) or reasonably priced food that is a Philly Gem ( especially for Italian or just CheeseSteak)

Staying in Rittenhaus and will prob be near Penns Landing over the weekend

Happy 4th !!

Ralph's on 9th Street near the Italian Market for the classic South Philadelphia Italian old school place! The Saltimbocca is fabulous. (Veal, mozzarella, spinach mushrooms, marsala wine sauce). Ask for the side spaghetti plain and use the sauce as your "gravy" as they say down there.
As to where to go, first stay away from the Ben Franklin Parkway if you are going today. 4th concert and fireworks. Beyond that what are you into going too non restaurant?
A before dinner beer spot would Cherry Street Pier. On the Delaware River right next the Ben Franklin Bridge. The views are phenomenal.
When are you arriving and how long you are staying?

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Highly recommend lunch at Monk's Cafe. Belgium inspired place. Mussels done differently based on the difference in the villages over there. Considered one of the best restaurants in the US. Don't go for dinner as the place is packed. Great vibe. If you like your experience ask if Tom the owner is around, he loves getting feedback and has great stories if it isn't overly busy. Like him bringing kegs of Belgium beer back as luggage.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great suggestions

Getting there tomorrow morning, will def check out Monks.
We are both cocktail drinkers as opposed to beer, sounds like a great craft beer town

Reactions: WhiteBus

We are both cocktail drinkers as opposed to beer, sounds like a great craft beer town
Monks is a full service bar. So cocktails are available.
Depending on how early you get into town go visit the Italian Market or Redding Terminal.

• Love
Reactions: RURahh
While in Rittenhouse Square walk over to the Schullkill River Trail, hit Human Robot Brewery and then walk across the river to Circa Green rooftop park for nice views.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteBus and RURahh
Monks is a full service bar. So cocktails are available.
Depending on how early you get into town go visit the Italian Market or Redding Terminal.
Bus drops us in Logan Square - Little Thai Market at Reading Terminal is gonna be our first stop. My girlfriend is 125 lbs but is a Lean, Mean, Thai Eating Machine- she can't go more than 3 hours without it :)

Giorgio on Pine. Solid, reasonably priced Italian food that’s also a byob. Always have had a great experience there. Check out the reviews for more info.

Reactions: RURahh and lakejj

If you want to take cocktails to the next level, check out the Kensington area.

Reactions: kupuna133
If you’re looking to go for a walk - hit up the Schuylkill trail (previously mentioned) where you’ll get some of the best views of the city along the river. I haven’t been to Human Robot but I’ve heard good things.

You could also walk up and down East Passyunk (not far from Italian market). A number of good restaurants or spots to grab a cocktail.

• Love
Reactions: RURahh
Museum of the American Revolution
Also, Penn’s Landing is under reconstruction and not to reopen for a couple years. Nothing there.
Penns Landing is open. They are building a park over 95 but everything along the river is open.

Penns Landing is open. They are building a park over 95 but everything along the river is open.
Sort of. There is a small museum there, a restaurant and the small park whose name I forget but the bulk of it is a construction site.

We did a carriage tour right in Center city near the Liberty Bell, but through the neighborhood right there, it was extremely memorable

Also went to a building similar to the Marriott Marquis New York City, where you can have drinks overlooking the entire city, but I forget the name of the place

Night Of The Living Dead Horror GIF by filmeditor
If you want to take cocktails to the next level, check out the Kensington area.

Sort of. There is a small museum there, a restaurant and the small park whose name I forget but the bulk of it is a construction site.
Penns Landing includes Race Street Pier, Cherry Street Pier, Independence Seaport Museum, Penns Landing Marina, a roller rink, Liberty Point which has the largest waterfront seating along the Delaware River, Spruce Street Harbor Park which at this time of the year has multiple food options and a pop-up beer garden, the great restaurant the Moshulu a large sailing ship and Chart House plus ferries that can take you over for the Freedom Mortgage concert venue similar to the Garden State Arts Center and of course the Battleship NJ.
The only thing where the construction is taking place was a former large parking lot.

Just got back from Monks - very cool vibe and great mussels. Georgios on Pine was a great call, but no reservation til 930 PM

Just got back from Monks - very cool vibe and great mussels. Georgios on Pine was a great call, but no reservation til 930 PM
Glad you enjoyed Monk's. How was the Chinese Lantern Festival? It looks spectacular this year based on what I've seen on the news.
What's your plan today?

Glad you enjoyed Monk's. How was the Chinese Lantern Festival? It looks spectacular this year based on what I've seen on the news.
What's your plan today?
Had breakfast at Green Egg and then for Veitnemese Pho. Anyone reading this is welcome to feed her for the next 36 hours of our stay

• Haha
Made it to Giorgio - 10pm on a Saturday night and got the last table...it's the only restaurant in Philly with people

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT