ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Popeyes Fried Chicken

Hate popeye chicken, so dry and very little chicken mostly fried crust. I like Buffalo Wild Wings, hooters or even Kentucky Fried.

Last year they had chicken tenders with a waffle batter and maple syrup dipping sauce. Best thing I ever had from fast food.

Popeye's is good fast food chicken. Ever try Bojangle's? Also very tasty. Both are far better than KFC IMO.

Was gonna mention Bojangles. Only had it once at an airport, but it was awesome. Have a new Popeye's in town, will have to try.

The Korean chicken places in Fort Lee and Edgewater are pretty damn good, and for a 'Franchise' type chicken place, Chick Fil A , is ok too.

Reactions: PhDKnight and RUpop
The Korean chicken places in Fort Lee and Edgewater are pretty damn good, and for a 'Franchise' type chicken place, Chick Fil A , is ok too.
Agree with all the above. There's also Kennedy Fried Chicken in englewood , chicken there is pretty damn tasty

Popeye's is really good. Roy Rogers is the best.
I used to love Roy Rodgers fried chicken as a kid. Not many of them around any more. There also used to be a Gino's in Jersey City when I was a kid that had awesome fried chicken.

I just became a fan of abro.

Chicken and beer down the block in cliffside park is my favorite chicken.

Girlfriend is from Atlanta and chick fil a is as close to a fix for her.

Last edited:
You don't really have to be a pompous foodie to recognize that there's plenty of food out there way more awesome than Popeye's fried chicken.

But I'm sure it helps.

Fried chicken is pretty delicious and universally loved.

I used to love Roy Rodgers fried chicken as a kid. Not many of them around any more. There also used to be a Gino's in Jersey City when I was a kid that had awesome fried chicken.
When I was a kid there was a Gino's on Rt 22 in Somerville my dad used to take us to. That was what made me fall in love with fried chicken. I have Popeye's once a month, for fast food it's very good.
If anyone gets a fried chicken craving when in Philly, check out Keven Parker's Soul Food Cafe in the Reading Terminal Market if on the go or for a full restaurant experience, his restaurant Ms. Tootsie's on South Street. Best fried chicken and collard greens I have had in the northeast, bar none.

Reactions: koleszar
When I was a kid there was a Gino's on Rt 22 in Somerville my dad used to take us to. That was what made me fall in love with fried chicken. I have Popeye's once a month, for fast food it's very good.
If anyone gets a fried chicken craving when in Philly, check out Keven Parker's Soul Food Cafe in the Reading Terminal Market if on the go or for a full restaurant experience, his restaurant Ms. Tootsie's on South Street. Best fried chicken and collard greens I have had in the northeast, bar none.
I was less than 10 when Gino's started to disappear, but wasn't their fried chicken actually KFC?

I was less than 10 when Gino's started to disappear, but wasn't their fried chicken actually KFC?
Little murky to be honest, but I think what happened is that KFC bought the Gino's restaurants and rebranded them. They both (at the time) fried their chicken in pressure cookers, so were pretty compatible. Not sure if KFC still uses the pressure cookers or not, tbh...

Little murky to be honest, but I think what happened is that KFC bought the Gino's restaurants and rebranded them. They both (at the time) fried their chicken in pressure cookers, so were pretty compatible. Not sure if KFC still uses the pressure cookers or not, tbh...
Actually I just looked it up. Gino's owned the KFC franchise rights in the mid-Atlantic. So it was KFC chicken at Gino's. Marriott bought out Gino's and they all became Roy Rogers. I recall that as well and loved Roy Rogers chicken as well.

Reactions: koleszar
Actually I just looked it up. Gino's owned the KFC franchise rights in the mid-Atlantic. So it was KFC chicken at Gino's. Marriott bought out Gino's and they all became Roy Rogers. I recall that as well and loved Roy Rogers chicken as well.
LOL, I was looking up the same thing!

Gino's started disappearing when I was less then 10 as well so don't remember much about them. No wonder why I liked them both, they were the same damn thing.:rolleyes:

The Gino's franchises were founded by Baltimore Colts All Pro DE Gino Marchetti, with partner Alan 'the Horse' Ameche, who scored the winning TD in 'The Greatest NFL Game every Played" late 50's vs The Giants w QB Y.A. Title. Game went into OT and Ameche scored after a Johnny Unitas led drive.
Marchetti was a pretty sharp guy, and Ameche (great RB at Wisconsin) was smart to join him.

unlike KFC its not a grease & saltbomb and is actually crunchy. One of the best fried chicken out there.

unlike KFC its not a grease & saltbomb and is actually crunchy. One of the best fried chicken out there.
+1

Either the oil is not clean or the temperature isn't high enough, high quality paper towels is a must to soak up the extra grease with KFC.

Is Church's Chicken still around in NJ? Yum! They used to be found in, how shall I say, only the more urban areas. I remember that they had one teamed up with a White Castle on Somerset St in New Brunswick near the bus station.
I really miss Church's and White Castle as we seem to have neither here in Northeast PA.

Big fan of Roy Rogers fried chicken. Go to the one in Bayville and it's excellent and now they just opened on Brick Blvd. KFC sucks around Ocean County.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT