ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. John Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome eulogy by Obama.

That was a eulogy that Obama delivered? Sounded more like a campaign rally, if not a hate speech toward Republicans.

Shameful that they will politicize a great mans passing. But that’s who they are. That is what they do.

Reactions: bac2therac

It's a shame that there is such outright dislike for Obama. To say that it was disrespectful to John Lewis is so far off base. Did Obama talk foreign policy, economics, etc? No. The great majority of his speech dealt with voting rights, which Lewis courageously risked his life for on so many occasions. I'm pretty sure that John Lewis would have been very pleased by this eulogy. The "stoking the flames" was what he was about. "Good Trouble". "Used by his colleagues"? John Lewis was a leader who set his own agenda.

It's a shame that there is such outright dislike for Obama. To say that it was disrespectful to John Lewis is so far off base. Did Obama talk foreign policy, economics, etc? No. The great majority of his speech dealt with voting rights, which Lewis courageously risked his life for on so many occasions. I'm pretty sure that John Lewis would have been very pleased by this eulogy. The "stoking the flames" was what he was about. "Good Trouble". "Used by his colleagues"? John Lewis was a leader who set his own agenda.

Yep, was a great speech honoring Lewis's legacy of protesting and fighting for equality for all, especially including voting rights, which are foundational to equality, and have been eroded. Lewis would've loved the speech, but no surprise the usual suspects would criticize it.

Anyway if folks didn't see it, John Lewis left a great essay to be released upon his death. Worth a read and very much aligned with what President Obama was saying yesterday. I thought the two passages below were especially important and eloquent:

https://www.ajc.com/john-lewis/john...ltBZc6y-ylQHai8C8UtB4Nn8mBvEGhFXrOAhzYXQcKbIo

"Emmett Till was my George Floyd. He was my Rayshard Brooks, Sandra Bland and Breonna Taylor. He was 14 when he was killed, and I was only 15 years old at the time. I will never ever forget the moment when it became so clear that he could easily have been me. In those days, fear constrained us like an imaginary prison, and troubling thoughts of potential brutality committed for no understandable reason were the bars."

"Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America by getting in what I call good trouble, necessary trouble. Voting and participating in the democratic process are key. The vote is the most powerful nonviolent change agent you have in a democratic society. You must use it because it is not guaranteed. You can lose it."

Obama speaks a language that certain segments of the population don't even attempt to understand. The objections to Obama's speech are based on the persona that people have invented for him rather than the real person, or the content of the speech.

Last edited:
That was a eulogy that Obama delivered? Sounded more like a campaign rally, if not a hate speech toward Republicans.

Shameful that they will politicize a great mans passing. But that’s who they are. That is what they do.
I don’t remember Obama being that political when he was running for President. Kind of tarnishes the great things done by a great man for many decades. I will say he still delivers a great speech. Props for that.

Reverand Al Obama?

414 no dislike or Obama here. I had no problem. With him except for a few issues which I won’t dredge up because I’m tired of all the BS but one of those issues is still going on today. Other than that he was a great speaker who did some good things but by the end of his tenure I was ready for a change. He’s kept a low profile and IMO yesterday was not a fitting send off for a great man. It was the opposite of that. It would have been a perfect speech on Biden’s campaign trail since Joe can’t deliver a good political speech like the one we heard yesterday.

Last edited:
"Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America by getting in what I call good trouble, necessary trouble. Voting and participating in the democratic process are key. The vote is the most powerful nonviolent change agent you have in a democratic society. You must use it because it is not guaranteed. You can lose it."
I've said the same on this forum for years.

If you don't vote you have no right to complain if things don't go your way.

Reactions: bossnj1 and MADHAT1
414 no dislike or Obama here. I had no problem. With him except for a few issues which I won’t dredge up because I’m tired of all the BS but one of those issues is still going on today. Other than that he was a great speaker who did some good things but by the end of his tenure I was ready for a change. He’s kept a low profile and IMO yesterday was not a fitting send off for a great man. It was the opposite of that. It would have been a perfect speech on Biden’s campaign trail since Joe can’t deliver a good political speech like the one we heard yesterday.
It was the perfect send off for this particular great man. It crystallized everything to which John Lewis devoted his life to fighting for and against.

Yea, an answer. We know why you wouldn’t even consider such a logical question.

Didn’t get the invite huh? Too bad.

What invite ?
I started posting on the current events board to abuse the Trumpanzees that seemed to dominate it back then. I only wanted to show that not all RU football fans were neanderthals. Mission accomplished.
I have no further reason for a back-and-forth with your ilk.

Sad to see that the 14-day quarantine is lifted for those who attended the funeral service.

Why do they get special treatment over every one else?

Why should public health safety not apply?

Tico was baiting , surprised his post is still standing
Thoughts and prayers
His ignorance of what is and isn't protected free speech should stand.. as long as he knows a thing or two about football and roots for Rutgers. You know what.. I think I'll remove my reply to him... this thread is about a great man who died after all.
I'm ignorant but some of the other stuff here is AOK? Turning a thread about that HS basketball player shot and killed into a political thread is also fine... :ThumbsUp

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
One of the last links to MLK and non violent societal change
Unfortunately Martin Luther King Jr's wisdom about focused and non-violent protests has been eschewed these days. IMO a revival of the spirit of his legacy is in order.

I got the invite and turned it down because you and your dipshit friends suck. You said you were done with this site yet here you are. What happened to your AMEX and slamming it down on the table and cutting your subscription? The CE board is over move on As YOU said you were going to do.

The truth hurts I guess. The family wasn't offended, to the contrary they stood & applauded.
What’s the truth? We have left and right and the truth is in the middle far away from both. Regarding his family, with all due respect I would have been pissed if that was my fathers send off. Maybe that’s because I live in the middle.

What’s the truth? We have left and right and the truth is in the middle far away from both. Regarding his family, with all due respect I would have been pissed if that was my fathers send off. Maybe that’s because I live in the middle.
But you're not his kids. His kids were happy with it. They've lived and breathed their father's activism their whole lives. Having others continue his legacy and honor and recognize his life's work and passion is more impactful and respectful than some empty platitudes and shared stories.

To quote a one-time presidential candidate...."Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

But you're not his kids. His kids were happy with it. They've lived and breathed their father's activism their whole lives. Having others continue his legacy and honor and recognize his life's work and passion is more impactful and respectful than some empty platitudes and shared stories.

That’s what I said. I live in the middle and wouldn’t have wanted my Dads funeral to be a political campaign speech. It was divisive and political but well delivered. He’s a great political speaker. That’s all it was.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Unfortunately Martin Luther King Jr's wisdom about focused and non-violent protests has been eschewed these days. IMO a revival of the spirit of his legacy is in order.
The radical left (which is a powerful wing of the Dem party now) have been trying to turn MLK into a radical that was okay with violence.. the left, in general, has also tried to rebrand JFK as being anti-Vietnam when he basically started and grew American combat in the whole thing. And they are tearing down statues of Ghandi and abolitionists to boot. They want a revolution.. they want a civil war... while tearing down statues of rebels who fought in a civil war.

The radical left (which is a powerful wing of the Dem party now) have been trying to turn MLK into a radical that was okay with violence.. the left, in general, has also tried to rebrand JFK as being anti-Vietnam when he basically started and grew American combat in the whole thing. And they are tearing down statues of Ghandi and abolitionists to boot. They want a revolution.. they want a civil war... while tearing down statues of rebels who fought in a civil war.
“A riot is the language of the unheard” speech from Martin Luther King Jr. - YouTube

Reactions: Greg2020
“A riot is the language of the unheard” speech from Martin Luther King Jr. - YouTube
Why didn't you quote what he led with?

"I have always said, and will always say, that riots are socially disruptive and self-defeating"

Gee.. why didn't you lead with that.. could it be because it might put into context that “a riot is the language of the unheard”? That is, he was not justifying or calling for riots at all.

Thank you for providing yet another example of what I was talking about... the effort to re-cast MLK as a radical activist instead of a minister of God.

Worse yet.. your out of context quote doesn't even serve to justify the current riots because the MSM are certainly making sure these rioters have a voice that carries well beyond their numbers. They are not the "unheard".

Why didn't you quote what he led with?

"I have always said, and will always say, that riots are socially disruptive and self-defeating"

Gee.. why didn't you lead with that.. could it be because it might put into context that “a riot is the language of the unheard”? That is, he was not justifying or calling for riots at all.

Thank you for providing yet another example of what I was talking about... the effort to re-cast MLK as a radical activist instead of a minister of God.

Worse yet.. your out of context quote doesn't even serve to justify the current riots because the MSM are certainly making sure these rioters have a voice that carries well beyond their numbers. They are not the "unheard".

Did you listen to what he lead with, or just ranting on what you thought I posted.
He condemned riots and said peaceful protests was his way.

But MLK said he understood why people riot and that's why leading off with A riot is the language of the unheard” speech from Martin Luther King Jr. was the title of that youtube piece.
Next time you critique something, take the time to look at it and don't act like you did.
Maybe you did look at the video and just heard what you felt needed condemning, that was the later part of video when MLK talked about the causes of why some turn away from peacefully protesting and how understands why some feel that way.

As for the troubles now, some are because of people going too far and they should be condemned but some of the trouble also is actions taken by law enforcement that made peaceful protesting hard to accomplish so the language of the unheard was the result.The police actions that cause peaceful protester to go off the rails need to be condemned as much as peaceful protests turning violent.

Did you listen to what he lead with, or just ranting on what you thought I posted.
He condemned riots and said peaceful protests was his way.

But MLK said he understood why people riot and that's why leading off with A riot is the language of the unheard” speech from Martin Luther King Jr. was the title of that youtube piece.
Next time you critique something, take the time to look at it and don't act like you did.
Maybe you did look at the video and just heard what you felt needed condemning, that was the later part of video when MLK talked about the causes of why some turn away from peacefully protesting and how understands why some feel that way.

As for the troubles now, some are because of people going too far and they should be condemned but some of the trouble also is actions taken by law enforcement that made peaceful protesting hard to accomplish so the language of the unheard was the result.The police actions that cause peaceful protester to go off the rails need to be condemned as much as peaceful protests turning violent.
My my how you spin spin spin.

I made a post of how radicals are trying to reshape MLK's image to fit their violent desires.

13 minutes after my post... YOU respond with a quote from MLK that seems to justify riots.. with no mention that he condemned riots. CLEARLY you meant to counter my point.

I then come back calling you out for that out-of-context quote.

YOU then come back and repeat what I have said.. that MLK was against riots and violence. And you say that I didn't even listen to that speech, despite quoting from it.

What's wrong with you? Does this kind of spinning work for you in your daily life? Do people just roll over for you and accept everything you say no matter how disingenuous?

It doesn't matter that the quote you typed into your message was the title of the youtube video. That just proves that you went and searched for a video that would counter my initial argument. It also means that it was YOU and not me who did not listen to that speech.

You found what you wanted.. proof that MLK justifies riots and you posted it. For Pete's sake.. it was posted by one "Anarcho Christian". You found an example on YouTube that proves my point... a video about MLK condeming violence but with one tiny quote that could be used to say that MLK justified the riots. Posted by a self-titled anarchist.

You got caught. Spinning only sucks you in deeper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT