ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Lt Uhura

Another tv icon from one of history’s greatest shows though nobody saw it being so successful not even Gene Roddenberry

Reactions: BLewis1968
RIP Nichelle Nichols. One of my favorite characters.

True story but she had doubts about her part in the show. It was a chance meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr who convinced her to stay on the show because she was a black woman who was an officer and who's part was bigger in keeping peace.

Truly a great and graceful woman. She will be missed.

Gene Roddenberry had to fight to get her on the bridge, arguing that centuries in the future race wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: ruthetiger
Another tv icon from one of history’s greatest shows though nobody saw it being so successful not even Gene Roddenberry
Neither did NBC or the Nielsen folks as it only lasted three seasons because of low ratings.

Syndication saved it to boldly go where no series had gone before.

Reactions: RUBOB72 and zoby
"Uhura" (Swahili for "freedom") was a good name
If she was "Ripley" things wouldn't have been the same
Originally her character was supposed to be called "Sulu" but since it sounded like Zulu the name was changed
Her first name - "Nyota" (Swahili for star) - was only used once.
I was always surprised the name never became generally popular (I thought the same of "Nova" in planet of the apes).
She was a key character
She wanted to quit the show for Broadway but MLK told her she was too important on Star Trek

"Uhura" (Swahili for "freedom") was a good name
If she was "Ripley" things wouldn't have been the same
Originally her character was supposed to be called "Sulu" but since it sounded like Zulu the name was changed
Her first name - "Nyota" (Swahili for star) - was only used once.
I was always surprised the name never became generally popular (I thought the same of "Nova" in planet of the apes).
She was a key character
She wanted to quit the show for Broadway but MLK told her she was too important on Star Trek

Star Trek had a lot of problems with character names. Kirk's middle name was changed from the Pilot to the series. LOLWHY?

Reactions: ashokan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT