ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Melanie

Boy did I have the hots for her way back when.
BTW, although I've never had the strength to become a vegan, one of the times where I considered it was back when she released her album Leftover Wine with the classic tune "I Don't Eat Animals" on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
She was born in New York City and died in Nashville. But I believe she lived a long time somewhere near the Jersey shore.

Just played the long version of Lay Down (Candles in the Rain). Never heard it before now:

I saw Melanie perform "At the Tabernacle" in Mt. Tabor.
She was a great performer.
I saw her in Central Park where they had the Schaefer concerts every weekend for $2. So many great artists performed there every weekend. That morphed into the Dr Pepper concerts.

Before my time, but I knew a couple of songs by her.

She lived in Long Branch but graduated from Red Bank High School.
RIP Melanie Schekeryk
Being kept from participating your Red Bank High School class graduation ceremony because of an overdue library book didn't stop you from having success in the music field and your family life with husband (Peter Schekeryk) and 3 kids till your husband died in 2010.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I know the song What Have They Done to My Song Ma, but never heard her version, just the one by the New Seekers.

As big fans of Melanie, My wife and I saw her at the Garden State Arts Center.
It was a one man show, her sitting in a chair alone with her guitar. No back up band or singers, just her.
We were so disappointed. It was not good at all.

Look for the Miley Cyrus backyard videos. (I can't believe I just wrote that!)
There is a great version of Look what they've done with my Song, Ma with Melanie and Miley. The third verse is done in English, not the French in the Melanie version.
First time I have ever heard Miley. Great voice. Stands up next to the amazing Melanie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT