ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Tom Seaver

Wow cant believe this news . Will never forget growing up on Long Island in 1969.

Will never forget his great year and his near perfect game against the Cubs broken up by a Jimmy Qualls bloop single in the ninth inning.

He brought home the World Series to NY and the Mets making me a Met Fan forever!

Terrible, still too young. We knew it may be coming when his family stopped public appearances, but it still hurts. Another icon of my youth gone. I still remember when he was traded to the Reds, it was like a national day of mourning in this area.

You was robbed of a Cy Young in the strike year Tom.. but RIP anyway.
lf

what form!
1-mets-33.jpg

Last edited:
May he Rest In Peace, loved watching his follow through on the mound, he’d get down and dirty, one of the great rising fastballs in the game. I’m sure him and all the greats up in baseball heaven are sitting around the dugout telling stories right now.

Reactions: goru1869
May he Rest In Peace, loved watching his follow through on the mound, he’d get down and dirty, one of the great rising fastballs in the game. I’m sure him and all the greats up in baseball heaven are sitting around the dugout telling stories right now.
Yup, that one knee on his follow through! There was always a dirt stain there and almost a rip in his uniform.

Heard it while watching the Yankees game. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. My dad died that way. From beginning to end is tough to watch. My sincere condolences to the entire Seaver family. We are spending 100s of billions of dollars on a vaccine for this virus but more people die every year from Alzheimer's than will die from the strong limited virus this year and every year but we spend nothing on finding a cure for this. Most is all private funding. Disgusting that this is ignored.
RIP Tom. You and Gibson were the best pitchers of my lifetime.

Just talking about him tonight with friends, without knowing he passed, about his trade to Cincinnati.

He’s the reason we have an actual met fan in our family.
May he RIP

RIP. One of the greatest. A shame

Interesting tidbit about Seaver is that if not injured he would have been starting pitcher for Red Sox in game 4 vs Mets in 86 World Series. Al Nipper got the start

Best ny pitcher most of us have ever seen . Had a big impact as an announcer for both ny clubs . I never understood why yogi just didn’t hold him back for game 7 in 1973 on an extra days rest .
RIP Tom Terrific

Reactions: cicero grimes
Heard it while watching the Yankees game. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. My dad died that way. From beginning to end is tough to watch. My sincere condolences to the entire Seaver family. We are spending 100s of billions of dollars on a vaccine for this virus but more people die every year from Alzheimer's than will die from the strong limited virus this year and every year but we spend nothing on finding a cure for this. Most is all private funding. Disgusting that this is ignored.
100% agree with everything you said ! Your last sentence includes 2 of my all time favorites also !

Best ny pitcher most of us have ever seen . Had a big impact as an announcer for both ny clubs . I never understood why yogi just didn’t hold him back for game 7 in 1973 on an extra days rest .
RIP Tom Terrific
Jack McKeon went with Josh Beckett in that identical spot in 2003,shutting out the Yankees in Game 6,proving that Yogi was right after all.

Death due to complications of Alzheimer’s AND Covid

RIP to The Franchise. Born into a Mets fan family I learned early that Tom Seaver was the greatest. I spent the last hour going through some of my Seaver memorabilia. Still have a framed collection of all his Topps baseball cards on a wall in one room and a statue and some other things. One of the greatest the game has ever seen. Sad day.

RIP Tom Terrific
There’s a reason why but don’t want to take the focus off of celebrating the life of the great Tom Seaver.
RIP my friend!

6 of the 16 pitchers on that 69' team have passed on as opposed to 3 of the 21 position players,all of whom were African-Americans,Agee,Clendenon,and Charles.

He did not start the Mets' opener in 1967 when he was a rookie,a game my friends dragged me to,a game in which the temp was 35 after having been in the 70's the previous week.Who did start for the Mets in the opener?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT