ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Robbie Robertson (The Band) Dead at 80

RIP to a legend. There is never a bad time to watch the GOAT movie concert - The Last Waltz. I remember watching the movie at a theater in Montclair - literally introduced me to artists like Muddy Waters.

I found the airplane to be a particularly good time. Great movie, amazing concert.

RIP to a legend. There is never a bad time to watch the GOAT movie concert - The Last Waltz. I remember watching the movie at a theater in Montclair - literally introduced me to artists like Muddy Waters.

i also saw TLW in Montclair (ok, Upper Montclair). Funny story, we got to the theater early, while the earlier show had just started. We were hanging out waiting when this middle age couple comes hurrying out with the husband saying “ how did I know what it was about, I picked based on the title”.

The Band was one of the greatest bands ever,. Robbie looked like a rock star in the movie and outplayed Clapton, not giving it a second thought when the strap on his guitar broke.
the feud with Levon was epic but I think most fans loved them both and did not take sides. The movie is as good today as it was then. They drew out epic performances from the guests and created the tradition of the final song group sing-a-long with I will be released.
RIP Robbie.

Legendary guitarist, songwriter, and bandleader. The Band fundamentally altered the course of music; from backing Dylan when he went electric, influencing Clapton to the point of breaking up Cream, to embracing rootsy Americana in the midst of the psychedelic era. RIP.

Reactions: chase07470
RIP to one of the greats. Love The Band and his first two solo albums are great. Here's my favorite of his:

Side note: Rodriguez (Searching for Sugarman) also died today, so a sad day for musical storytellers.

R.I.P. Robbie

He always stood by his decision to include Neil Diamond at The Last Waltz. As he should. Diamond's performance of Dry Your Eyes was arguably the best of the evening.

Diamond didn't perform the song, written about the aftermath of the assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy, again until his final tour in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT