ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Honors College

RU honors. UF is very good. I know because my nephew just graduated from there, but he also told me his good friend at RU said the program at RU is more intellectually involved than his experience at UF. i'm sure when you compare the two, your daughter will make the right decision for herself. I believe it's an Ivy League education at a fraction of the cost.
I’m a little confused about multiple references to ivy school education, etc. Doesn’t your diploma still say Rutgers and thus is a NJ state college education and exactly not an ivy school degree. Part of the benefit to an Ivy League is the name on the resume.

Flying up this week. Visiting Fri and Sat.

IIRC, you haven't been on campus in years. Can't wait to get your reaction. Lots of very impressive changes and plans for the future. Be sure to see things on both sides of the river if you can.

I’m a little confused about multiple references to ivy school education, etc. Doesn’t your diploma still say Rutgers and thus is a NJ state college education and exactly not an ivy school degree. Part of the benefit to an Ivy League is the name on the resume.

Correct. I understood it to mean the quality, rigor and learning environment is on par with Ivy League schools, or at least close.

Really?

3QeZ.gif

Tongue in cheek. Point is references to this being an Ivy League education for a bargain price are dumb because the benefit of an Ivy League education is the badge on your resume. Your not getting that by going to Rutgers honors college.
Maybe what that poster was trying to say is the quality of the education is on par with an Ivy League education. Many of us have worked with Ivy Leaguers who were less than impressive. But you are correct about the benefit of an Ivy League degree is a "badge" on your resume. A lot of doors will automatically open with that badge, and it will be up to the individual to achieve once the door is open. Some will, and some will get passed by motivated people with non-Ivy degrees. @arigoldrutgers said it well with respect to Wall Street:

The Wall Street pipeline is similar to most state schools - the brightest (and most aggressive) will get the front office jobs. But you have to stay on top of it early and keep a stellar GPA. As opposed to my Ivy League friends who d*cked around for 4 years and landed the same jobs with relative ease.

Tongue in cheek. Point is references to this being an Ivy League education for a bargain price are dumb because the benefit of an Ivy League education is the badge on your resume. Your not getting that by going to Rutgers honors college.
Actually, that's not correct. Yes, the Ivy "badge" as you stated may get you in the door through networking, but in the end it's up to the individual to succeed. I hired someone from Harvard, because he was terrific with analytics. Unfortunately, when I needed him to speak up in an important pitch to an outside group, he froze and one of my colleagues from another good school but not Ivy, stepped in and saved us from potential disaster.

Oh and btw, most CEO's from major corporations are from top state schools and NOT Ivy league schools. Look it up. And Rutgers grads are well represented as CEO's, CFO's, presidents, etc. in Fortune 500 companies.

Actually, that's not correct. Yes, the Ivy "badge" as you stated may get you in the door through networking, but in the end it's up to the individual to succeed. I hired someone from Harvard, because he was terrific with analytics. Unfortunately, when I needed him to speak up in an important pitch to an outside group, he froze and one of my colleagues from another good school but not Ivy, stepped in and saved us from potential disaster.

Oh and btw, most CEO's from major corporations are from top state schools and NOT Ivy league schools. Look it up. And Rutgers grads are well represented as CEO's, CFO's, presidents, etc. in Fortune 500 companies.

Keep in mind that the Ivies as a group are small compared to state universities as a group. So it's no surprised that more come from state universities. I don't think that stat proves anything.

I certainly agree that, in the last analysis, it's up to the individual. But being able to get through the door in the first place is very important. Frequently, having the Ivy credential helps (although I'm not sure this is true in all fields). Thus, if I had a child making a decision between Rutgers (even the honors college) and an Ivy, I'd advise him or her to pick the Ivy. There are other circumstances in which I think it makes sense to go to a different school than the Rutgers honors college, but I think they are very rare.

My best friend since childhood went to UF for his masters and doctoral degrees in fisheries biology. Outstanding program and the campus is really nice. However, he lived about 2 miles off campus and to say it was sketchy is an understatement. He had neighbors with shacks for homes. Lots of abandoned businesses around him also. It just made me feel really uncomfortable being there. I know people will reply and say NB is sketchy too, but to me, it’s nicer than north central Florida. To each his own.

Unfortunately, this is also true for RU, though there are also places 2 mi off campus that are perfectly nice. The sometimes unfair depiction of NB, sometimes truthful, is an issue.

Keep in mind that the Ivies as a group are small compared to state universities as a group. So it's no surprised that more come from state universities. I don't think that stat proves anything.

I certainly agree that, in the last analysis, it's up to the individual. But being able to get through the door in the first place is very important. Frequently, having the Ivy credential helps (although I'm not sure this is true in all fields). Thus, if I had a child making a decision between Rutgers (even the honors college) and an Ivy, I'd advise him or her to pick the Ivy. There are other circumstances in which I think it makes sense to go to a different school than the Rutgers honors college, but I think they are very rare.
So, if it was Rutgers honors college on a full scholarship versus an Ivy at $300,000-$350,000 out of pocket for 4 years of tuition, room, board fees, would you still advise your child to go to the Ivy? Let's say you scrimped and saved and had the money set aside to pay the Ivy tuition.

My alma mater, Berkeley, is also considered a public ivy, but it's still not the same as a "real" Ivy. I feel the same about Rutgers.

Ivies are generous with financial aid because of their huge endowments. I'd take the Ivy. Mind you, I don't think all the Ivies are equal in quality, but I'd still take the Ivy in the absence of some very strong reason to the contrary.

My alma mater, Berkeley, is also considered a public ivy, but it's still not the same as a "real" Ivy. I feel the same about Rutgers.

Ivies are generous with financial aid because of their huge endowments. I'd take the Ivy. Mind you, I don't think all the Ivies are equal in quality, but I'd still take the Ivy in the absence of some very strong reason to the contrary.
From everything we have heard and seen, however, despite the large endowments, people with money are not going to see a nickel of financial aid.

Reactions: BOCA93
In NYS in my day Rutgers was thought of as a Public Ivy.
It still is. I know people think that the so-called "public Ivy" moniker can be construed as silly, I think the designation came about, because top state schools can provide a similar quality of education that the Ivies provide or the top private liberal arts schools can provide.

Reactions: ruready07
From everything we have heard and seen, however, despite the large endowments, people with money are not going to see a nickel of financial aid.
Some of the schools like Harvard, Princeton and Yale are giving out quite a bit of money to students who even if their parents make up to about $200K can get a majority of their tuition paid for. Of course the aforementioned schools each have tens of billions of dollars in endowment funds and can afford it.

It still is. I know people think that the so-called "public Ivy" moniker can be construed as silly, I think the designation came about, because top state schools can provide a similar quality of education that the Ivies provide or the top private liberal arts schools can provide.

The question isn't whether the education is as good; the question is how many doors the degree will open for the graduate. Unfortunately or not, "Ivy League" has cachet, even though my sense is that some of the Ivies are not really that good at educating students. I should also point out that it is easier for a student to fall through the cracks at a state university, no matter how good.

easier for a student to fall through the cracks at a state university

Ivies generally don't let anyone fall through the cracks because it doesn't help their perception in terms of who they admitted. Everyone is graded somewhat favorably to get through to the degree because it helps feed the future donation/legacy machine.

Reactions: RU MAN

I said badge on a resume - I didn't say anything about actual performance.

So, if it was Rutgers honors college on a full scholarship versus an Ivy at $300,000-$350,000 out of pocket for 4 years of tuition, room, board fees, would you still advise your child to go to the Ivy? Let's say you scrimped and saved and had the money set aside to pay the Ivy tuition.
I'm not sure this is a realistic scenario though is it? Are there some students that have full freight scholarship to RU Honors but are going to have to pay full retail price at an ivy? My advice to my kid would be to take the scholarship and then get a grad degree from an Ivy.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Are there some students that have full freight scholarship to RU Honors but are going to have to pay full retail price at an ivy?

Sure there could be. The Ivies, at least on paper, have a policy of only awarding need-based financial aid, and no academic merit based scholarship money. So in the scenario @Knight Shift presented, if the parents have the financial means to pay full retail at an Ivy and the student has a top academic profile to get into an Ivy (as well as to get into and receive a full ride from the HC at Rutgers), assuming the parents have no other "influence" within the Ivy university circles, i think it could be a realistic decision point faced.

My advice to my kid would be to take the scholarship and then get a grad degree from an Ivy.

Don't necessarily disagree with your advice but would qualify that with graduate school, assuming it's part of the future calculus, depending on the field or specialty, l wouldn't limit it to the Ivies. By that time there's a much greater certainty of the field being pursued and understanding and research into where the best faculty and department(s) are based across a spectrum of top universities, including Ivies and other top privates and publics.

Reactions: Crazed_RU
I’ll provide an employer’s perspective. I’m currently interviewing candidates for an entry level job that pays 6 figures. An Ivy League resume tells me i’m getting a candidate who is smarter than majority of population. This is the exact reason RU created Honors college. RU is telling employers that these are the best of what RU has to offer. I can tell you that it helps to get you an interview but will not get you the job. Once I select the candidates and schedule the interviews, everyone is on equal footing.

The primary benefit of a good education is what you learn.

I'm not sure this is a realistic scenario though is it? Are there some students that have full freight scholarship to RU Honors but are going to have to pay full retail price at an ivy? My advice to my kid would be to take the scholarship and then get a grad degree from an Ivy.

1000% this! Plus, it is a LOT easier to get into an Ivy Graduate School vs Undergraduate.

IIRC, you haven't been on campus in years. Can't wait to get your reaction. Lots of very impressive changes and plans for the future. Be sure to see things on both sides of the river if you can.

Kev - came away very impressed with the Honors College. We’ve toured a ton of schools over the past few months including all of the Ivies and the facilities at the HC are incredible. There is a lot of misinformation above about endowments and school being virtually free at some places. It’s simply not true. A lot of this comes down to ROI and if grad / medical school is the likely route, either option will prepare you IMO.

Kev - came away very impressed with the Honors College. We’ve toured a ton of schools over the past few months including all of the Ivies and the facilities at the HC are incredible. There is a lot of misinformation above about endowments and school being virtually free at some places. It’s simply not true. A lot of this comes down to ROI and if grad / medical school is the likely route, either option will prepare you IMO.

So, will it be the RU honors college for your daughter?

Quick question, what is the difference between Honors College and Honors Program? Also, is there a HC for RBS? Thanks

Quick question, what is the difference between Honors College and Honors Program? Also, is there a HC for RBS? Thanks
https://honorscollege.rutgers.edu/information/frequently-asked-questions
What is the Honors College and how is it different from the honors programs at Rutgers?
Built on the legacy of honors education at Rutgers-New Brunswick, the Honors College is distinct from the school-based honors programs in the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, and School of Engineering. While the school-based honors programs serve students only in their specific schools, the Honors College brings together students from across the liberal arts and professional schools to live and work together to tackle global issues in a community where intellectual curiosity, hands-on knowledge, diversity, collaboration, and giving back are central to its philosophy. The Honors College requires all of its first year students to live in the Honors College living-learning community as part of its mission of creating an interdisciplinary experience for high-achieving students across academic fields.
While students in the school-based honors programs and the Honors College have different curricular requirements and extracurricular opportunities, they share much honors coursework and meet together frequently through co-curricular and scholarly forums.
Learn more about Honors at Rutgers-New Brunswick.

---
Business School--yes
https://honorscollege.rutgers.edu/school-based-requirements

Rutgers Business School students must meet the following requirements:
  • Completing the 3-credit Honors College Mission Course in the first year.
  • Taking one Byrne Seminar in the first year.
  • A minimum of four 3- or 4-credit courses totaling 12 or more credits that are designated as honors courses, with a grade of C or better. At least one of the courses must be an Interdisciplinary Honors Seminar. The other 3 courses could include departmental honors offerings and interdisciplinary honors seminars. This requirement cannot be satisfied with honors research credits.
  • Participating in at least 30 hours of Honors College approved service projects by the end of the junior year.
  • Proficiency in a foreign language through the intermediate level.
  • A Capstone Experience of at least 6 credits, typically completed in the senior year. RBS students must complete an HC Capstone Proposal Form and a RBS Capstone/Senior Honors Project Form.
Honors College students at RBS must maintain a semester grade-point average of at least 3.250 in each term of the first year, and at least a 3.500 in each term thereafter.

Reactions: ruready07

Just wondering, would a student's diploma say Rutgers Honors College instead of just Rutgers University? I assume so.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Thanks Knight but it’s still confusing to me. Are kids in HC better than kids in Honors program? I’m looking at some resumes and not sure how to differentiate the two.

Thanks Knight but it’s still confusing to me. Are kids in HC better than kids in Honors program? I’m looking at some resumes and not sure how to differentiate the two.
That's a loaded question with the word "better."
It seems the HC is more selective than the honors program based on what was posted above directly from Rutgers.

But as we know, that is based on the INITIAL selection before getting to Rutgers.

Analogizing the football recruiting--we have seen 4 and 5 star recruits not live up to their potential while 2 and 3 star recruits have terrific college careers and go to the NFL.

I would look at other aspects of the resume, such as what did the student do --internships, extracurriculars, etc.

That's a loaded question with the word "better."
It seems the HC is more selective than the honors program based on what was posted above directly from Rutgers.

But as we know, that is based on the INITIAL selection before getting to Rutgers.

Analogizing the football recruiting--we have seen 4 and 5 star recruits not live up to their potential while 2 and 3 star recruits have terrific college careers and go to the NFL.

I would look at other aspects of the resume, such as what did the student do --internships, extracurriculars, etc.
Hmm, perhaps RU should consolidate all honors programs under the Honors College? Some start in the program from day one, some folks earn their way into it during their time at RU.

Hmm, perhaps RU should consolidate all honors programs under the Honors College? Some start in the program from day one, some folks earn their way into it during their time at RU.
If you read the FAQs, RU considers a key component to the Honors College the residential arrangement where student from the different colleges live together and have an opportunity to collaborate, etc.

That is why they do not admit transfers into the Honors College. So, earning their way in would not satisfy the first year residency requirement of being an Honors College student.

Was in NB yesterday midday... I noticed the honors college seems to have changed the walking patterns of students attending classes in the voorhees mall buildings.. Scott, Murray, Millerdoeller etc..

In ancient times everyone returned to College Ave to walk west back to the Brower/Student Center and dorms area... now they just walk thru the voorhees mall past Willie the Silent and across Seminary and through that "Holy Hill" area where the honors college sits.

I think this is a positive change because that mall area is very old-school looking.. classic.

Reactions: ruready07 and KevH
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT